ad: Schulman-1

Do Earthquakes cause Propagation dropouts? Can the RF-Seismograph see earthqakes?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bonnie;

I think I should be more spe3cific.....

The lower you go in frequency, the noise that comes out of your radio is more likely to come from a terrestrial source.

I like the sun too... see!!!

Alex

2. NE2I

NE2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe its flipped about. the sun causing the earthquake events. I think this is more likely as the magnetic fields from the sun do interact with the earth's magnetic field. My wife and I have been tracking earthquakes since 2011. I was at ground zero for the Christchurch NZ quake.

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. VE7DXW

Please read this study
    https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1029/2006EO320008

Also check out our online study of events during 2016.
    http://www3.telus.net/public/bc237/MDSR/IntroductionRF-SeismographandEarthqakes.pdf

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW

4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Grief ! :eek:

A Whole lot of Quaking going on ! :cool:
    Interesting stuff though.

G3SEA'KH6

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. VE7DXW

The amazing stuff is that this can be received by every HF-Receiver tuned to 80m! The only thing you need is LIF-2016 and the RF-Seismograph software to record the noise level of your receiver!

All the best and spread the word!

Thank you;

Alex - VE7DXW

KF4ZKU likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked through the graphs of the 2016 events. A first glance there does seem to be some relationship of the (inserted) quake spike with the 80m noise. However, it seems to me that just as often there is an increase in 80m noise without any quake. Have you performed any statistical analysis to see if the results are any better than mere chance?

KA0HCP, MW1CFN and VE7DXW like this.
  7. VE7DXW

We have over a list over 180 M6+ events for the 4 year time period and they all fit the same pattern as we have detected with the M5 discussed at this forum. I believe that has statistical significance!
    What makes this hard is that we only have looked at M6+ events and there is so much more going on.
    For your assistance we have created a little snooper document that explains and discuses further details!
    Check this:
    http://www3.telus.net/public/bc237/MDSR/IntroductionRF-SeismographandEarthqakes.pdf

All the best;

Alex

8. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's not get too picky. I think the intention was to say the Sun is not the only element in considering propagation. The real silliness is to be found in the kind of blind, unqualified assertion seen earlier, viz: "No" as to any possibility of seismicity being a factor. I know it's Trump America, but...

WZ7U likes this.
  9. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly strongly support examining this potential link. But I tend to agree with VE7DXW that, there is currently an absence of a robust statistical analysis, which is much more than simply presenting a graph of HF noise in relation to a quake, the timing of which doesn't seem evident to me on the majority of the graphs. Quakes are not single-moment events. There are stress build-up periods of various duration, stages of energy release, and then aftershocks (not that I pretend to be a quake expert, but you get the idea.)

I suppose it is is straightforward in seismically-active areas for hams to monitor the bands regularly as part of their normal activities, with no special effort. The West Coast US, New Zealand, Japan, Latin America all have a reasonable number of operators. One thing we learned in Wales in relation to the persistence of radiation from Chernobyl was that farmers held a lot of local knowledge, such as how upland plants grow, but that scientists were apt to dismiss this 'yocal stuff' as irrelevant. I note that one person has already noticed noise increases ahead of a past quake, so it is probably an idea to try some form of quizzing of those who have operated over lengthy periods in seismic zones.

VE7DXW likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I take that to mean there has been no statistical analysis. Statistical significance is a mathematical term with a precise meaning. To determine it involves a lot more than just graphing some data and eyeballing it.

VE7DXW likes this.