ad: portazero-1

DESECHEO 2009 PRESS RELEASE #5

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WP3MW, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WP3MW

WP3MW Ham Member QRZ Page

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Desecheo 2009 Press Release #5

February 6, 2009

Today several team members leave their homes and start their journey to Desecheo via Puerto Rico. The entire fifteen man team will assembled by Saturday evening in San Juan. Sunday morning will be devoted to the required UXO (unexploded ordnance) training and afterward the team will travel to Rincon, Puerto Rico, the closest landfall to Desecheo. The Lazy Parrot Hotel will be the team headquarters for the following 4 days.

All equipment and antennas that we shipped have arrived and are in storage. Most of our infrastructure supplies and equipment has been purchased locally is also in our storage facility.

The team will spend Monday through Wednesday completing team training, finalizing assignments, testing generators and pre-assembling antennas. The remaining shopping will also be completed.

The SUP (Special Use Permit) will be presented to us in a special ceremony scheduled for Monday night. With that in hand, we will finally be ready to activate the #6 “most wanted” DXCC entity from February 12th-26th. We hope to be QRV late in the day on the 12th, weather depending.

Visit the new “K5D Store” (the button is about 2/3 down on the Welcome page) on the our website: www.kp5.us There is a good selection of memorabilia including nice polo shirts, t-shirts, caps, mouse pads, and mugs.

Financial support is being sought and very welcome. The “How you can help” tab on the website makes it easy. For larger contributions; they can be made tax-deductible (consult your tax advisor) if directed through the Northern California DX Foundation. Details are found on our website.

CU in the pileups,

Bob Allphin, K4UEE
    Glenn Johnson W0GJ

2. NT1M

NT1M Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry if I missed the explanation, but how come they will not be operating with a KP5 callsign?

3. WP3MW

WP3MW Ham Member QRZ Page

desecheo 2009-press release #5

dear john:
    our call sign is K5D.
    hope to hear you in the pile-up

Eladio
    wp3mw
    team member
    Desecheo 2009

4. N5NPO

N5NPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very Excited!

I cannot wait to work you guys on 17m.
    I may also try you on 6m and 75m. Thats all the antennas I have up right now.
    I am not a big DXer, so I was wondering, when you say that you will be on 18.165 down, what exaxtly does that mean?

5. W8OTR

W8OTR Ham Member QRZ Page

wrong prefix

I don't think you answered his question !

6. NT1M

NT1M Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope to make it though the pile up from my mobile HF station (only option I have)... but I would like to know why there will not be a KP5 callsign? If I missed the explanation on some announcement or thread or website, I'm sorry, but I am unable to locate the reason. I would like to get a KP5 card for the wall.

7. KP4UFO

KP4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

kp5 no why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:
    same question here!!!!!! why.............:mad:

8. KC4ART

KC4ART Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, I am in no way affeliated with the KP5 group.

As I understand it, to be able to have a KP5 call, the holder has to be a permenat resident of Desecheo Island. Since the island is uninhabited, the best option was a special event call.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

VY 73

Lee
    KC4ART

9. NP3TX

NP3TX Ham Member QRZ Page

§97.23 Mailing address.
    Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name and mailing address. The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct mailing address.

That's why the call sign granted is not a KP5. Remember this is a Dxpedition to an uninhabited island. Any way they have to identify themselves as KP5/K5D.

73 from the shinning star of the caribbean..........................

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. NT1M

NT1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, Thank you for the explanation.

K1LYV
    ex WP4LYV (wish I was still there too)

11. KP4UFO

KP4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

hope they put the kp5 letters on there qsl, and about the grantee they can use some body from P.R. ( commonwealth ) same mail system. no excuse.

12. NP3TX

NP3TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely I agreed with you. Maybe they will use the same logo that they used in the memorabilia items. :rolleyes:

13. WA8S

WA8S Ham Member QRZ Page

14. WA8S

WA8S Ham Member QRZ Page

hi guys:
    I remember other dxpeditions like VP6DX (uninhabited island) did not change the prefix for that.anyway, nobody is going to send the confirmation qsl card to desecheo,but to a qsl manager in usa(N2OO).And plus,without offending nobody,then I think the point about the mailing address doesn't apply in this situation.And further,more if desecheo is an inhabited island not controled by FCC regulations,and if this regulation applies to desecheo,than why it has a prefix?

I think,in my own opinion,that people including myself,have been waiting for this dxpedition a long time.Why not leave it with it's own prefix?.sorry with this prefix (K5D) but It looks like a special event station from usa than a dxpedition of one of the most wanted entities in the world.
    my best wishes to all.73`s de WP3S.

P.S. correct me if I`m wrong but that is what I think.

15. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Because its the popular thing to do these days. Ever since 1x1s started being issued, major DXpeditions have used them for their activities. N8S was on Swains; K5K was on Kingman reef; K7C was on Kure; K4M was on Midway.

In fact, I can't remember any actual KP5 callsign ever being issued. My KP5 QSO was W8KKF/WP5 from about 1989 or 1988.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.