ad: Radclub22-1

DESECHEO 2009 PRESS RELEASE #5

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WP3MW, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber QRZ Page

VP6DX isn't controlled by the US gov., US rules don't apply.

You also can't apply for a KH3 call, no US mail delivery.

My card from 1989 is KP2A portable KP5. If you look at the past dxpedition lists on their website, NONE of them have a KP5xx CALL SIGN, all of them are /KP5.

I'm guessing this dxpedition will be the same.

Are you guys going to gripe if there is ever a /P5 again if they don't get a
    P5xxx call sign?:)

2. NT1M

NT1M Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't feel I was griping. All I asked was a simple question. I'm sorry to have stirred up such a hornets nest.

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm... KH3AB in my log...AH3C in my log....:confused:

You guys are all wet. It'll be K5D for the call. Period.
    Nothing says the stupid mail has to be delivered to your door.
    Just that if it is returned to the FCC there MAY be a hassle.
    You provide a mailing address and you are responsible to actually get the
    mail (from the FCC) should they send you something.
    I can have it sent to New York if I want to if I can retrieve it from there.
    Since Desecheo is administered by the FCC and we don't HAVE to use portable designators any more, it is up to them what they want to do.
    KP2A didn't the first time they were there but did use /KP5 the next time.
    As for being on the air with K5D as a call from Desecheo, if some people don't know what is going on then they don't deserve a contact.
    As for the K5D card on the wall is concerned..get a life.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got KH3AF in my log, but you can't get a KH3 now, no postal delivery since Johnston Is. became a nature refuge. At least my understanding of the rules is you have to be able to recieve USPS mail at that address to get a call reflecting that location.

Desecheo has no mail service, so /KP5 is it.

K1LYV, I wasn't refering to your question, sorry 'bout that. The several comments after it was explained is what I was refering to as gripeing.

5. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HA!! I am WRONG!! DOH!
    But that's ok as I learned something! You guys make me crazy making me dig through rules all the time!!
    But here is the critical excerpt.

6. W0HJW

W0HJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I don't have Desecheo on any band I'll be in there fighting it out with everyone. Until this post I didn't even know where Desecheo was - which leads me to a question.

Why is a rock 14 miles off the west coast of Puerto Rico considered a separate country? In reading 1979 issues of QST all I can find for a reason is "it was recommended by the DX Advisory Committee". Why is Desecheo different than say Santa Catalina or Santa Rosa Islands off the coast of California? I'm sure there must be a logical reason - can someone shed some light on it?:confused:

73, Harold W0HJW

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Because its administered differently than Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is administered by the Govt of Puerto Rico - a territory of the United States. Desecheo is administered directly by the U.S. government and is considered a "minor outlying possession." Becuase its administration is directly by the Federal government (and not by a state level or territory) it meets the ARRL's geographic separation rules for entity status.

8. KP4F

KP4F Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

excellent answer my friend. :)

9. K0RC

K0RC Ham Member QRZ Page

KP5/K5D Huh? Not likely. They don't need to sign with any locator. It's no different than you traveling to Hawaii and signing KH6/KP4CAT. That's your option, not a FCC requisite as long as you're operating within their jurisdiction.

10. N1RR

N1RR Ham Member QRZ Page

18.165 down

This means that the dx-pedition will operate on 18.165 and will be listening down for callers. They will usually announce how many khz away they are listening or a range they are listening in : " 5 to 10 khz down (or up)" or "Listening 150 to 160" meaning in this case 18.150 to 18.160 Mhz.

It's important to :
    become proficient in using split VFO's (ask a local to work with you.)
    prevent transmitting beyond the band edges
    & do not transmit on the dx-pedition's transmit frequency.

GL !
    Charlie N1RR

11. N5NPO

N5NPO Ham Member QRZ Page

THank you much for the info.
    73 de N5NPO
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.