ad: portazero-1

closing an answered post

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by N2ZXX, May 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2ZXX

N2ZXX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

how do i close a post that i created after an acceptable answer was posted?

it would help mitigate digression and non-related responses a ton.

please help.

AD5HQ likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't work that way.

3. N2ZXX

wierd. i guess maybe unfollow the post and let it get raped by digression and non-related nonsense?

4. KP4SX

Whatever. Calm down.

5. K4NWD

K4NWD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This^^^^^

You can ask a moderator to close it, but be aware of two things. Threads are public and you don't usually get to have them closed. And thread drift IS the defining characteristic of the Zed.

6. N2ZXX

it is why i hate forum formats tbh lol.
    i will ask a moderator to close the post. thank you for your input

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

As posted above, it doesn't work that way.

PM me to discuss

Dave
    W7UUU
    QRZ Admin
    QRZ Moderator

WG7X likes this.
  8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Threads are conversations. They would be pretty dull if no variance at all from the exact subject of the original post was allowed. Moderators are good at shutting them down when they get too far off course. And I'm sure they get a lot of pressure to do so from those with no sense of humor, complete intolerance for other points of view and feelings as fragile as cobwebs.

K3XR, KP4SX and K4NWD like this.
  9. KP4SX

This particular fellow initiated a kerfuffle and wanted to slink away unbruised. He started out accusing a station as having a bogus callsign and then demanded that everyone in the world use QRZ for his convenience. He got the QSL info and confirmation that the station and call were legit but continued being "right" and demanding that the thread be closed and proclaiming how he hates forums.
    And doesn't have a caps key :)
    Sigh.
    You moderators have more patience with these types than I would.

W7UUU, WG7X, K2CD and 1 other person like this.
  10. AI5GC

AI5GC Ham Member QRZ Page

What I was told years ago is to edit your original post by adding "Canceled" to the first line. That way readers know it isn't valid anymore. Several weeks after that I saw the "wanted" or "for sale" button became a "cancelled" button. Also, you can unfollow your post to lessen your stress level but it could still be of interest to others. Hope this helps.

N2ZXX likes this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

QRZ like most other forums have a time limit to edit posts. Here it's 30 minutes. Other forums it's 20. Some don't allow ANY edits.

Either way,he can't edit his original post and the thread is now closed anyway

Dave
    W7UUU

12. N2ZXX

noted ty

13. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would put "Thanks everyone for you help, I'm sorted now!"

The thread would slowly fade.

KP4SX likes this.
  14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When you post on a public forum, you can expect replies that might not be compatible with what you desire. The forum controls the thread, not the poster.

With few exceptions, the natural selection of things will move the thread off the front page until it becomes little more than a memory.

KP4SX likes this.
  15. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

AT THE END OF THE DAY, YHE ANSWER IS 42!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.