ad: Flexradio-1

Can I delete received alerts

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by KD9TED, Dec 25, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9TED

KD9TED Ham Member QRZ Page

I am wondering if anyone knows (or has done this) if you can delete received alerts, or if once you receive them they are there forever. At least until you delete your account.

2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are automatically removed from your current Alert List once you review them. Roughly 20 of your most recent reviewed Alerts are shown if you select the Show All ... button.
    EDIT - They will pile up if you ignore them.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

If you're getting an excessive amount of alerts, it sounds like you have some forum marked as "Watched". If you have a forum being watched for new posts, you will get an alert EVERY SINGLE POST, not just every new thread started!!

If that's the case, read the alerts and where they take you - then "unwatch" that forum to make it stop. As a moderator, I have many forums on "Watch" so I get from 50 to 200 alerts every single day - but I want that so I can keep tabs on things! In fact, that's how I became aware of your post - I have "Community Help" on my watch list for all new posts.

But many users set the Swapmeet to "Watch Forum - New Posts" when they're looking for an item to come up to buy, but then forget the forum is "watched" and the alerts pile up like snow in Finland.

Otherwise, you shouldn't be getting many alerts - outside of "watched forums" they only come from other users either as Private Messages, or from the Moderators for moderation actions (posts deleted for rules violations etc.) and I doubt that's the case.

Dave
    W7UUU

KD9TED likes this.
  4. KD9TED

Thank you for your help.
    I also read from another ham that the latest alerts page will only display the previous four days alerts, so my understanding is that after received alerts are four days old they will be removed from the latest alerts page.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Yes that's pretty much correct. It's roughly four days - I just checked and my oldest is from Thursday sometime. So "close enough"

Dave
    W7UUU

6. KD9TED

If I don't receive any alerts for for days or so then will my latest alerts page just go blank? Or will it keep a few old ones until I receive new ones?

7. W7UUU

OK let's define things: "Getting an alert" means you see the red number up at the top right. The moment you click on that, ALL the alerts are essentially "silenced" meaning if you had 25 alerts showing, but only read a single one, the other 24 won't show in the "alert" indicator anymore. The act of clicking the "alert" link turns off the indication of unread alerts.

The QUEUE of alerts (all those that are "still in there but no longer lighting the alert indicator red") will all still be there until they "age out" of the system at around 4 days.

Does that help explain it better?

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KD9TED

Yes. Just to clarify all alerts wether I receive new ones or not will be deleted. Even if I don't receive any for week or more.

9. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your question was answered by "The QUEUE of alerts (all those that are "still in there but no longer lighting the alert indicator red") will all still be there until they "age out" of the system at around 4 days."
    Take a look at your Alert queue and see if there are any that are older than 4 or 5 days.