ad: chuckmartin

Build an EASY 10 Meter (28 MHz) Vertical Antenna for DX!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 24, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NC8R

NC8R Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, congratulations on your DX contact! I just thought I'd let you know, I think CT9/UR9IDX is actually a Ukrainian who is portable in Madeira Island right now, see his QRZ page :https://www.qrz.com/db/CT9/UR9IDX
    But that's still amazing DX! Again, great job on your homebrew antenna and your awesome success with it!

K5YDD likes this.
  2. KN6VYP

KN6VYP Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't expect to DX with a 40W trucker's 10/11 meter export, though I watched and read about all I could find before I bought the Anytone AT-5555 PLUS/N from Moonraker in UK . It's a sleeper. I'm very satisfied, more like, hurrah! Mind blowing what that 55' of coax brings in. Now I'll duplicate it for a go box with the RG58 A/U, because being stranded conductor it's flexibility is necessary. The one now will stay hung in the redwood. At this point it's perfect. I'm surprised I didn't need to spend another $100 to put me on the air.

VK7HH likes this.
  3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome Charlie, this is great to see! Have fun with the DX!

4. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you develop these dimentions?

5. KN6VYP

Does it matter when tuned my SWR is 1.0-1.3 on USB? 5/9 signal report from Ukraine at 8:45 AM PCT from grid CN70wl. Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. You do know the formula, right? If not, then there are dipole calculators online. Simply Google search, dipole calculators. Voila!

6. NC8R

NC8R Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.qrz.com/db/CT9/UR9IDX

Madeira Island is not exactly Ukraine. I think it's technically part of the African continent. But that's still good DX!

7. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it matters. If lengths and turns were determined by modeling, how close were the model results to the real-world results. And how many tials were done to correct the errors to get the final dimentions if "cut and try" was the approach.

It's all a part of deciding if it is worth it to try building one. Been there, done that only to be disappointed.

Additionally, I have cobbled up an adjustable vertical that is currently set at 34.25 feet with an "un-un" at the feed point that tunes nicely 1.6:1 80 to 10 meters (all bands inbetween) that has done nicely even all the way to the south pole. But I would be the last one to encourage anyone to duplicate it since I think it works more because of favorable conditions than design and execution.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  8. KN6VYP

Yep, I built mine for $9. Tuned it and I'm on the air. For a more details read my posts above. 73
    Yeah, 10M propagation is improving. I used QRZ to look up my first DX contact, but you may very well know more than me about his location, in fact having just received my Technician ticket last October I'm learning every time I get on. I don't worry about what I don't know as long as I'm learning. Some hamsters are having fun and what with $9 and an hour invested, but I have to say I wonder if the ex-spurts are. 73

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  9. LU2DYO

LU2DYO Ham Member QRZ Page

and the coaxial velocity factor ? 2450 mm Mmmm... less

10. KK4JI

KK4JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He's using the OUTSIDE of the coax for the other half of the dipole, so the vf of the coax is irrelevant. Not my choice of design, but it is functional. I prefer a proper groundplane, either a 1/4 or 5/8ths. I'm running a 5/8ths on 10m which is working very well, even at only ~6 feet off the ground.

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  11. KK4JI

KK4JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You also need to rethink your air-wound coax choke. Its peak impedance is much lower and is doing very little on 10m. You 'd be better off with ~4 turns instead: CoaxChokeImpedanceChart1.jpg

2E0CIT and KK5R like this.
  12. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Hayden for the well-done video. Now anyone can get on 10M.

Bob KK5R

13. N4TAZ

N4TAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Next dumb question of the day....
    Is it possible to set up one of these T2LT antennas inside an apartment on the 8th floor with NO outside access? I DO have a window, but housing assoc. will not allow outside installation.

14. W8JH

W8JH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It does NOT matter.

People obsess over SWR but 1: 1.3 is fine.

Your DX QSO is proof !

15. W8JH

W8JH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Give it a try and let us know.

I will bet it works.

Just be careful about your RF exposure.