ad: portazero-1

BIG Sunspot Group--Largest of New Cycle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Oct 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NQ6M

NQ6M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a couple more headed our way for this weekend...

KR2W, W3KMP and KA2FIR like this.
  2. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dr. Tamitha Skov's report was on you tube last week..

3. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

All I know is that the SFI numbers have been jumped up from the lows in the 60s to the high 80s lately. As I have a nightly 80-meter rag chew event with hams from most of the western US states, what I have noticed is that the signals have been very unstable, excessive noise and signals dropping out quickly. This latest solar activity has not been friendly to communications under 500 miles.

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-11-3_10-28-1.png

KR2W likes this.
  5. KA2FIR

upload_2020-11-6_15-36-42.png

KR2W likes this.
  6. KA2FIR

Close enough for government work:
    upload_2020-11-7_10-23-57.png

KR2W likes this.
  7. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

SFI 94, a=8, k=2, who needs 95 sfi when I am just starting to hear JA's in and out on 29.3 FM, using a 4 element pointed at 305 degrees from northern Oregon right now.

I have had ja, vk, zl, fk8, 3d2, kh6, kp2, kh2 guam plus numerous south americans for the past two weeks or more on 10 meters cw/ssb but this is the first good indication of japan starting on 10meter FM.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    KA2FIR likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

closer....closer....

9. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't be 100 % satisfied until I complete a full contact/report qso on 10FM with Japan or other dx, the signals on 29.3 FM were almost there yesterday but just not enough to complete a full contact.

From memory of past FM DX qso's on 10meters SFI needs to be 110 or more for solid copy but yes it's almost there, I just need patience.

10. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Sun spots are areas on the sun that are cooler than the area around them. They produce a certain type of radiation that ionizes the ionosphere of the Earth, causing it to reflect HF radio waves back to the Earth.......but you knew that! Shame on you! HiHi---Tim.

11. KA2FIR

12. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

But yet you had to explain on my sarcasm......Hello Hello Erik....

13. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

A blast from the past..

SFI 20-Meters_July-12-2014..jpg

NZ5F likes this.
  14. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this next cycle 6m DX Maps will look like that (minus the FT8 contacts). Lol. Keeping fingers crossed for a good cycle and F2 E/W on 6m.

KA2FIR likes this.
  15. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HAY! WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT LADY THAT USED TO DO THE RADIO PROPAGATION FORECAST,INFORMATION ON SUNSPOTS?????What happened to her? anyone know why she's not here or what?