ad: k1jek

Be aware when purchasing Amphenol connectors and adapters

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KI4BST, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2GOS

WB2GOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Darrell,

Sorry it has taken so long to respond but I was not a member of this forum. I was just notified of your problem. I looked up your address on the ARRL website and we will ship you replacement connectors as soon as possible. This is our CAGE code, but I am not sure if these are copies, or when they were manufactured, but no matter, we will correct it for you. Our part number for this item is 82-100 http://www.amphenolrf.com/record.asp?N=0&sid=520431003132BCFF&R=082-100 .

We have been in business for over 75 years and even though we make many thousands of connectors each year, we strive for the highest quality possible. Sometimes, things like this happen but we continue to aim to provide the best connectors possible.

David Weinstein WB2GOS
    Principal RF engineer
    Amphenol RF
    www.amphenolrf.com

2. AG6UP

AG6UP Ham Member QRZ Page

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> It would seem that Aerospace is not the only industry getting hit with counterfeit parts. I have been to several swap meets and found items that I needed or wanted, in the way of components, only to notice that they were not genuine parts. The markings were wrong, the wrong type of knurling was on the thumb nuts, etc. At swap meets, it's buyer beware. Every industry, from Levi Jeans to high end aerospace is getting hit with fraud parts. I think one of the most blatant examples I've seem was a thrust reverser bucket for a JT-8D, used on the MD-80 series jets, that had a bogus serial number and the Pratt and Whitney Eagle facing the wrong direction. Something like this would never have made it out of their facility. Further testing showed that the part was not even the correct material or temper. It was an accident waiting to happen on landing.

While HAM Radio is not as big a target as aerospace, there are still a lot of bogus parts out there as they are cheap to make and there is no real accountability or traceability requirements. Fortunately for us, all we are likely to experience is excessive signal loss or a failure, at high power, in our feed line. Of course, this can be a bit rough on the final amplifier or tank circuit in a linear.

3. KU2S

KU2S Ham Member QRZ Page

"public domain?"

4. AF4E

AF4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi David,

Good to hear from someone from Amphenol RF Division in the US. Thank you the replacements. As soon as they arrive if you would like for me to I will send the ones I have back to you for quality purposes or just for verification that these are truly Amphenol connectors. Some time back I had downloaded the customer drawing from the Amphenol website for verification and it seems these connectors were made prior to December 26, 2011. According to revision code V the number imprint on the barrell the "74868" was replaced by "Amphenol" on this date. The connectors I have has got the number on the barrell.

I know there has been a lot of talk on this forum about the connectors being counterfit but I don't think they are. I use very legit companies for suppliers.

I started the discussion only after I had called Amphenol on the phone and got a very quick "NO we will not replace them" and then I tried to contact someone by E-mail through the website and never got any response. I like Amphenol products and will continue to use them. I just thought it strange that a company as large as and with the reputation of Amphenol being as hard to deal with as they were, especially defective products that are "potentially" Amphenol products.

Thank you for the response David and I am very happy that Amphenol is finally moving in the right direction with this. I am glad that a least someone still believes in good customer service regardless if the customer is a direct or an indirect customer.

Darrell, AF4E

5. WB2GOS

Darrell,

Sorry it has taken so long to respond but I was not a member of this forum. I was just notified of your problem. I looked up your address on the ARRL website and we will ship you replacement connectors as soon as possible. I am not sure if these are ours or copies, or when they were manufactured, but no matter, we will correct it for you.

We have been in business for over 75 years and even though we make many thousands of connectors each year, we strive for the highest quality possible. Sometimes, things like this happen but we continue to aim to provide the best connectors possible.

David Weinstein WB2GOS

Principal RF engineer

Amphenol RF

www.amphenolrf.com

6. WB2GOS

Hi Darrel,

Yes, please send them back to me at 4 Old Newtown Road, Danbury, CT 06810. If you email me at dweinstein@amphenolrf.com, I will send you our UPS account so you don't incur any costs.

David

7. N3MIK

N3MIK Ham Member QRZ Page

most likely what you bought was counterfeit amphenol connectors. or you may have gotten 2nds that did not pass amphenol
    quality control standards. and always , always buy from a reputable dealer!!! most reputable dealers at ham fests
    also have a website and a phone number you can contact and most do sell genuine quality merchandise.
    beware of the counterfeit parts that are out there.

8. KH2G

KH2G Guest

Unfortunately it's about the money and I don't mean the component but you have to pay someone to process the order and set up your accounting system to handle the costing, shipping etc. In large companies it really does get unwieldy and expensive. Same reason that when in the military a wrong part delivered situation comes up, even big items normally are not returned but "deep sixed" Midway island circa 1960 - a magnatron was ordered and a prop shaft for a sub was flown out. It was painted white and used as a rail in front of the admin building. Strange but true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.