Be aware when purchasing Amphenol connectors and adapters

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KI4BST, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4BST

KI4BST Guest

I purchasea number of Amphenol number74868 UG 57 B/U "N" male to male silver plated and Teflon connectors and found three of the conectors were not threaded on one end. They are not stripped but have never been threaded to begin with. The other end has perfect threads.

I thought that I would just contact Amphenol since they are supposed to be a reputable company and get the connectors replaced. I am willing to send in my old ones for a replacement. When I contacted Amphenol I was told to send the connectors back to the place of purchase for a replacement. Since these were bought at one of the hamfests from a small dealer there is little chance of being able to return them.

I would have thought that Amphenol would have wanted to replace these connecters without any hassle what so ever and try to find the quality control issue with allowing these to get out into the market. This has not been the case. I have contacted them via telephone and via E-mail and have not gotten any satisfaction.

This will leave a sour taste in my mouth from now on and I will be less likely to make purchases of Amphenol products even though they have been what I thought to be quality products. I am very disappointed that Amphenol does not stand behind their products any better than this.

Be very careful and look at every aspect of any adapter or connectors you purchase that are made by Amphenol.

Darrell, KI4BST

2. KD2AKG

KD2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

Could the connectors have been seconds or fakes? That would explain why Amphenol asked that you return them to the dealer. Definitely a good idea to check any hamfest connectors closely before buying.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Are you positive they are Amphenol parts and not knock-offs?

4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, this is one of the biggest problems for US companies today: pirates copying everything from hardware to software.

As you found out, it puts the companies in a real bind. If you as a purchaser cannot verify that the dealer is in fact, dependable, neither can the manufacturer. If they responded to every request such as yours, it might put them out of business dealing with "returns"

Their request is entirely reasonable.

Even reputable dealers have been hit with this. Anyone remember a few years back when the US Government found that a lot of the hardware that they had acquired was fake? This was life-critical stuff like bolts for airplanes/helicopters and stuff like that...

Yeah, its a pain, but what can you do? Just take it as a life lesson and move on.

My opinion only, but thanks for the warning.

73 Gary

5. KI4BST

KI4BST Guest

Well I guess they could be fake or seconds. I wouldn't think a large reputable company like Amphenol would let unthreaded "seconds" out onto the market. They do have the Amphenol number and markings the same as their blueprint indicates. They even have the three little hole in the knurled nut. Anyway, if it was my company and my product I would want it out of the public domain. If for no other reason if I would want to get the connectors to actually see if they were copies and try to find a source.

73 Darrell

6. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Oddly enough I had one such connector with the same problem several years ago, probably about 6 years or so. Yes, it was a real silver plated/Teflon insulated Amphenol connector still in the little plastic bag with all the Amphenol info etc. on it. I had purchased several from Electrosonic in Toronto Ontario. I noticed that one end of the type N male-male connectors would not thread onto the cable. Out of the half dozen male-male connectors and the dozen and a half regular type N coaxial end connectors I bought at the same time it was the only one that had no threads.

7. M3PSE

M3PSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to read about the lack of customer service from Amphenol. I'm surprised that they did not offer a better solution. I work for Amphenol Ltd in England, and customer concerns and quality issues are paramount to good business.
    I'm not familiar with the product that was purchased, as our core business is Mil / Aero / Industrial / Mass Transit connectors and cables. http://www.amphenol.co.uk/

I would not be surprised if there are fakes and copies around; some of the finish and quality of connectors that I have purchased from different sources have been truly terrible.

I believe that some of our RF products are manufactured in Mexico. Maybe try and trace a person / contact dealing directly with the problem product?

I guess I'm not in a great position to help, but I hope you get the problem resolved.

Paul M3PSE

8. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have a legit Amphenol PL-259 connector at home. The shell of a PL-259 was never threaded. It came with an order from RF Parts with several others. All the rest were fine. So it happens.

I kept it thinking it was unique. Well, maybe not so....

9. M0DCD

M0DCD Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be possible that these are Tyco-Amp ones from what is now TE Connectivity. I know form the supply chain that they have had some issues with quality on some of their RF connectors, such as changing the insulator from PTFE to Nylon. Some of our customers complained that the insulator would melt when you soldered them.

10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

A problem I've had with PL-259 connectors, probably not Amphenol brand, is the screw-on part being too long so even when it's screwed on tight, the connector inside is not tight. i.e., the socket runs out of thread before the connector is pressed up tight.

To be fair, I'm not sure if that's a problem with the plug being too long or the socket being too short but I had it happen with patch cables sold by a big ham radio supplier when plugging into my old TS430S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.