ad: Halibut-1

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From what I gather, relocation is paid for, for a successful candidate or it can be negotiated.

2. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats not how the ARRL CEO works. His main function is the overall oversight of the organization at HQ, not the field. He's basically the financial manager, and that is very different from the divisional or sectional operations. As to "{b}eing a contester is a whole lot of doing nothing in ham radio," I think you've got a pretty incorrect viewpoint of contest operators. Some of the most active contesters out there do -lot- other than contesting (DXing, SATERN nets, technical article writing, etc.).

Your basically describing the functions of a private / publicly held company where there the main goal is profit and/or shareholder value enhancement. ARRL is a non-profit and the operations of a non-profit are very, very different. I'm not saying that accountability and sound financial management does not have a place in a non-profit, but Six Sigma management is largely inapplicable to a foundation / non-profit.

WB8WKQ/SK2022 likes this.
  3. W4HUF

W4HUF Ham Member QRZ Page

doesnt half the community dislike this guy for some reason?

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

This community is a tough crowd. At least on the Zed forum.

WB5THT likes this.
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W2SC would be a fine choice for the league. Not sure what he is up to these days, George Kurian (who I don't believe is a ham) took over as CEO of NetApp in 2015. I am sure Tom is happy spending his time on the beach at 8P5A.

W6JKV probably doesn't remember me but I did meet him a few years back at the 6M BBQ hosted at K5AND's place. Not being a 6M op I felt a bit out of place but it was a lot of fun. Indeed there are plenty of examples of people who could lead the league in great things.

6. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

JIM, YOU OLE CW RASCAL......

THE ONLY ONE WHO REALLY KNOWS IS HIRAM

YOUR_SMOKING_THE_FINALS_W1AW (1).jpg

COEXIST NEW.jpg

JIM, HAVE FUN IN THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF HAM RADIO
    AND HOPEFULLY, THE NEW TROOPS AT THE ARRL WILL BE
    ABLE TO KEEP THE "GOOD SHIP LOLLI POP" AFLOAT.

GOOD SHIP LOLLY POP.jpg
    73 CARMEN.jpg

7. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that but even if I were qualified, which I am not by a long shot, I've no interest moving away from here no matter the financial opportunity. I'm likely not the only one who is happy right where they are.

8. W4HUF

W4HUF Ham Member QRZ Page

boy do i know.... i dont usally use the forums.. but was just wondering.

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Might get improved propagation.

KE0GXN likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, that's what makes you most qualified!

WE4B likes this.
  11. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can say is if the reason he is leaving has anything to do with his proposed changes, then its fairly obvious the problem is the board, not the CEO. I felt the thing he wrote about daring us to embrace the future was good.

The ARRL problem is likely the members who they have to please are up there in age. "Changes" are words that are generally not welcome by them. But the status quo is the death of the long term hobby too in terms of potential newer younger members.

Its a complicated line to walk, but I do feel he outlined some good ideas. The problem is if you determine if you are keeping or axing a guy based on a short term look/reaction to membership numbers and feelings then this revolving door and blame game will continue.

I was looking forward to what might develop with his special interest groups/working groups suggestion, more-so than the start of On-The-Air magazine.

12. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not this guy, he certainly knows ham radio and clearly can manage a business and is already a CEO?
    Plus he gets on the air.
    Capture.JPG

W1TRY and KD4MOJ like this.
  13. N2RJ

Well, you must understand that a lot of what was written in that editorial has been kicking around HQ for some time. Much came from the staff, and it was done either at the request of the Board or on their own, and many ideas such as On The Air magazine were in the works for quite some time. Becky Schoenfeld’s editorial in the first issue explains the genesis. It was the result of a survey done by staff. I think she deserves most of the credit for bringing the project to completion.

As for other ideas such as digital NCJ and QST? I personally have been pleading with him for that since last January, only to be told “no” several times. Several stakeholders had ask me to lobby for it and that I did. I’m sure others were asked as well. I have no idea why he decided to change his mind but I was quite shocked that this idea came to fruition after being told many times that it was not suitable.

The QSL bureau fee reduction was originally a motion done by Dick Norton, N6AA. It was then shelved because the CEO said after the motion was introduced that he would like to take care of it as a staff issue. That one took a lot of convincing as well and it took 6 months when it should have taken a lot less time.

I can cite many examples of this and things that had to be done this way.

So don’t think it’s the Board that is deficient at all. We do tons of work and address lots of things and have many good ideas. The Board works very hard and are invested in the success of the organization.

N7ELL, NB3R, K7VZ and 6 others like this.
  14. N2RJ

Like every other candidate, if he wants the job he can apply for it.

15. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would move the ARRL long before I moved to CT to be the CEO of it.

WB8WKQ/SK2022 and K0UO like this.