ad: Flexradio-1

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't think that is what Ria is saying. The decision choice between an interim CEO and a "permanent" one would seem quite different. I would give them a lot of slack on the interim CEO.

..............Bob

K1OIK likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK...

Dimmer on :)

3. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No one is taking most of our spectrum. This Isn't the 50s, most of the former users are online.

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having had time now to absorb and think about this ... now I am confused.

The ARRL News item says
    But the ARRL Bylaws defines the CEO position as an employee, not an official subject to election.
    Which is it? Employed or Elected ?

5. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think the answer to that is before the CEO is employed, he/she has to be elected. How else does one select a CEO??

............Bob

6. NN4RH

Actually, they are ... the FCC has a NPRM in play right now to take away the amateur 9 cm band, to give it to commercial broadband providers.

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

"Elected" because it takes the consensus of the Board of Directors. An "Appointment" can be done by a single person.

8. NN4RH

The CEO is an employee according to the Bylaws. The Bylaws state that the Board shall employ, it does not say the Board shall elect. Sure, the hiring involved a vote at some point.

Plus, he was already an employee, and had a contract, so should not have had to be "elected" again.

Don't get CEO mixed up with President or other elected officers.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  9. K1OIK

What a horrible loss. And I was getting ready to hook my D-104 to my microwave oven.

10. K1OIK

duplicat

11. NN4RH

Actually it IS a serious loss.

12. NN4RH

Unless perhaps his employment contract included some provision that subjected him to another vote after some period of time. But it's still confusing to say "was not elected" if he was an employee. Was he "fired" ? Or was his "contract not renewed" or what? The ARRL news item was terse and rather poorly stated as Chip pointed out and I agree. It makes it look, to me, anyway, as if this Board action either was capricious and arbitrary; or else implies this was done with some serious cause behind it, which I rather doubt.

W1YW likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not unusual to have non-profit boards where the officers are up for 'vote' each year, as an example. Nothing unusual in the ARRL board VOTE. The board has the defined right to vote the CEO out, and that is not a capricious action given its in the bylaws.

The point is that the League itself made it clear that there was a 'leadership' vote in the January board meeting, an unusual announcement compared to --most--prior notifications to the membership. So its clear something was up.

Its hard to believe that the decision to remove the CEO was spontaneous and as such, there should already be a plan in place to assure the membership of the cordiality of the transition. That does not appear to have happened. Maybe it will...but the clock is running out of time to put that in place.

Why is that important? Because the next CEO will need to be convinced that he or she won't be out with a kick in the a%% in a few months. More importantly those new CEO CANDIDATES will have to convince their spouses and families that moving to lower middle class Newington CT, nary not far from HOOTERS, and home to an outrageous state taxation system, is in the best interest of their families. So much for 'settling in'. Hey--good luck with THAT one given the present circumstances!

One also must suppose that candidate(S) for an interim CEO were ALSO in place. It is extremely unlikely that others, besides Barry, weren't also applicants.

The change was neither hasty nor without some sort of pre-planning , IMO. Howard should be recognized for his service-- and the very BEST interim CEO candidate should have been put in place. Barry obviously qualifies for that in many ways, but again, his absence of OTA activity is , in my opinion and that of many others, the WRONG message to the rank and file employees; the members; the outside world.

Your opinion may differ.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    N0NB likes this.
  14. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Microwave ovens operate on either the 33cm or 13 cm amateur bands. In ISM allocated spectum.

W1YW likes this.
  15. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this a teachable moment?