ad: chuckmartin

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I started listening to Art back in 2001, when I was hired to work the graveyard shift as a Network Traffic Assistant for WTCM-AM. Basically, my job was to babysit all the AM and FM stations to make sure they stayed on the air. I also had to enter (at that time) ABC affiliated commercials into the right spots of each station's playlist database, so they will air the following morning. This job was on Friday nights, from 11pm-6am Saturday morning, and Saturday nights, from 11pm-6am Sunday morning. There were other times where I had to fill in for 2 weeks straight 11pm-6am whenever my boss went on vacation.

I found Coast to Coast AM quite entertaining and kept me from falling asleep every night. Remember the time he interviewed this one guy who attached hundreds of helium filled balloons to a lawn chair, armed with a BB gun and a handheld CB radio, took off in the air? I don't remember how far he traveled, but I guess he floated above an air field and shot out some of the balloons in order to get back to the ground. I think he was promptly arrested for that stunt.

Art superglueing his lips shut after trying to fix a tape cart that broke. That was funny. Or the time he talked to the guy who had a recording from the deepest hole into Hades? The EVP recordings he frequently played; that was creepy.

Anyone remember The Monster of 3840?

73s de Joe KC8RLU

KV4BL and KA0HCP like this.
  2. N7UR

N7UR Ham Member QRZ Page

Art fell in love with radio at age 11 when he discovered a big old console shortwave radio at his grandmothers house.
    You can read a bit more about Art and ham radio at: www.nevadahamradio.com

KV4BL likes this.
  3. K6DLC

K6DLC Ham Member QRZ Page

The person who was snoring was Ben in Oregon was also a SK.

KV4BL and KQ6XA like this.
  4. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rest in Peace Art. He kept me awake, entertained and informed many a long nights driving and working.

KV4BL likes this.
  5. WB7TVS

WB7TVS Ham Member QRZ Page

A sad passing. On Friday the 13th no less!
    Enjoyed his radio show. He turned me on t0 EVP's and the like.
    Worked him several times on 75m. I have his QSL card on the wall.
    Rest in Peace Sir!

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Mr. Bell.....was interesting to note that the Zed had the report of his passing before Drudge.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Art's technical expertise was superb and noteworthy. I just feel sad that in such a fascinating universe, his show usually led us to explanations that sounded fascinating but were as solid as the smoke from his cigarettes. The universe is exciting enough without conjuring up universes that don't exist. Like faces on Mars, Aliens Living Amongst Us, Geronimo in the smoke, and catastrophic accelerated climate change. MO. Yours may differ.

I am glad that Art pushed the psychoacoustic enhancement methods; those are real and beyond debate.

Chip W1YW

WA8FOZ likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You do of course realize it was all intended as entertainment right?

Not unlike telling ghost stories while sitting around a campfire.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    K4PIH and WB9YTG like this.
  9. KJ6HZH

KJ6HZH Ham Member QRZ Page

According to last night's show, he was found on the floor in his home and for that reason an autopsy is scheduled.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    KV4BL likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever listened to the audience reaction? Like standing around listening to the hub bub at the water cooler?

I have.

Many people took Art as the champion of 'alternative science', 'conspiracy theories', and so on. These were, for the most part, reasonable and rational people, who had limited exposure to science and had the voice of Art's shows to their ear.

Art could have done a far better job separating the wheat from the chaff, IMO. He had that power. Playing skeptic more would not have alienated (no pun intended) his audience.