Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an original Art Bell Area 51 tin foil hat here somewhere.

W8KIC likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this is the same show to which you refer but its entertaining in parts nonetheless (wear a pair of deep wading boots! ;) )

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    KV4BL, W8KIC, WB6TMA and 1 other person like this.
  3. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I chatted with Art on radio (Ham) years ago; he was constantly asking everyone "how do I sound"; that seemed to be a an over the top concern for Art. He had a decent radio voice and seemed to need to hear about that constantly.

W8KIC likes this.
  4. N6LEE

N6LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I will miss him dearly. I enjoyed listening to him back in the 80's. Love you my friend

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  5. WA7ANT

WA7ANT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been familiar with Art Bell and Coast To Coast AM since the mid 1990's. Sometime during the 90's, I remember calling into his show from WA state and asking a question when Richard Hoagland was a guest. Both he and Mr Hoagland were courteous. I've listened to the show off and on over the years since he left it. George Knapp and George Nori are decent, but they are no Art Bell. I think that by far the best host they've had since Art was John B Wells, who served as guest host from time to time and who had a similar sounding voice to Art.

Anyway, sorry to hear of Art's passing and best wishes go to his family.

KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  6. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

So sad, I would lesson to him traveling back and fourth to Topeka and back home. And when home when I worked late shifts. I was always hoping I could catch him on the bands. I hope he was a christian man.

7. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cold, Not Funny. death is serious, no matter who you are.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know death is serious? Are you dead?

Take the comment in the spirit it was given. Mine and W5TTW's.

W8KIC, KI6IPO and KA0HCP like this.
  9. KG4KTL

KG4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember listening to his program when I too worked the graveyard shift.
    A few years later I got my ham ticket and used to converse with him on 3.840 MHZ often in the wee hours of the morning.
    He was always cordial and will be missed.

W8KIC likes this.
  10. WB5Q

WB5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

In addition to my passion for all thing amateur radio, I have been in broadcast radio too. I see Art Bell as a shining example of a true purveyor of great and addictive radio. What radio was and still should be...Great voice and such killer program content.
    Hope someone close will preserve his radio "ranch and his equipment.. The Antennas along are well worth preserving or at least relocating so they can still be put in use by a club near to his qth.
    He was definitely one reason I finally went out and got my ticket.
    RIP and God Bless you and yours.

John Carson wb5q

KG4KTL, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.