ad: ProAudio-1

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

His UFO and Area 51 stuff was pure entertainment.

W8KIC likes this.
  2. KG7VC

KG7VC Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a few contacts with Art, called into the show a few times too...will be missed.​

KK5R, KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  3. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

KV4BL likes this.
  4. AJ4XM

AJ4XM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art was always entertaining and sometimes enlightening. He had a great 4 square at his home in NV for working 75/80 meters. I had a lot of opportunities to talk with art on the phone in the last 4-5 years and there were only 2 things he discussed. His radio show, which most recently was on the Internet, and his love of Ham Radio. (He had many complaints about the lack of enforcement of gentlemanly behavior on the low bands from hams in CA). There was a time when 99.9% of hams were really friendly on the air and always cooperative with other hams. A lot of us miss those days. Art enjoyed listening as much as talking. I considered him a friend, although we only met in person 1 time. His FTDX-9000 station worked very well for him but my antenna limitations and the propagation gods kept us from ever having a QSO though we tried many times. He left a legacy of work that can be played for many years with most of it being as relevant now as it was years ago. May he always find a clear frequency in the next life.

73 my friend

KC0IVF, KJ6SPN and W8KIC like this.
  5. W5TTW

W5TTW Ham Member QRZ Page

He's traveling the cosmos in the mothership that's in the tail of Hale-Bopp.

W8KIC and KA0HCP like this.
  6. K8HU

K8HU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art will indeed be misssed. I have listened to talk radio just before going to sleep since I was 7. First radio was a 2 transistor radio my mom bought for $4.95 from a jewelry store. I listened to Art for years. Even had the privlidge to work him on 75 a couple times when he was doing a break on his show. Seems to me he hung our around 3710.0 or so.

Chuck, K8HU

W8KIC likes this.
  7. N7BUS

N7BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP, Here is his favorite singer/song..

KC0IVF, N6ZI, W4QBQ and 1 other person like this.
  8. NI4TG

NI4TG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rest in peace, somewhere in time.

KV4BL, W8KIC and W4ANT like this.
  9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I never really followed ART much but did listen to coast to coast Saturday nights when I worked late shift. He was talented and had the right voice to fit his show. I'll never forget him showcasing a fella that claimed he had audio recordings of "Big Foots" communicating with each other. It was laughable, sound like some made up crap.
    Show was entertaining for what it was.

He was a major chain smoker. To each his own, if you smoke, it will more than likely get you...got to die of something.

KC0IVF, KK5R, KV4BL and 1 other person like this.
  10. N0JI

N0JI Ham Member QRZ Page

If not the most, certainly one of the most iconic radio personalities of all time. I listened to his shows for hundreds of hours over the years, and I doubt I ever changed stations before getting to my destination or losing the signal entirely. I heard him on 80 a couple of times, causing a pileup, and one time talking about a return to the airwaves that he couldn't give any details about. Cryptic, which seemed appropriate.

I have no doubt that his bumper music will be going through my head for weeks reminding me that life is too short, and making me wonder what's next. The high desert just got a little more lonely.

KC0IVF, KJ6SPN, KV4BL and 1 other person like this.