ad: LZQSLprint-1

ARRL Secret Rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 6, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W3DBB

W3DBB Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL has demonstrated it is at times critically incapable of corporate self-governance of its 501C3. It is clear the past 3 choices for CEO have not worked out. The fourth CEO- going back in time- did good work for the organization for decades but was allowed to stay on too long which contributed to his irreplaceability (to coin a word). Perhaps if he had been retired earlier there would never have been the unwanted ARRL activism that resulted in RM-11306 'regulation by bandwidth'. Power loves a vacuum.

Hiring CEOs from outside the organization has not worked. ARRL by actions of the board has lost to collateral damage the generation of employees who should be running the place right now. ARRL is facing a stark reality; you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Bequeathing vast sums to the organization for whatever reason will just attract more of the same. Einstein had it right. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is a definition of insanity.

W3SLK and KE0GXN like this.
  3. KD9TED

KD9TED Ham Member QRZ Page

Well for one thing you could help bring a awareness of Bylaw46, in my local ham community no one talks about it. If people would contact ARRL and tell them their sentiments, it would help if everyone who is against it did this.

You see, just complaining about something and throwing the poo at others, so to speak, does nothing for anyone. It just gets us more aggravated, besides what good does complaining do if you're only talking to thin air?

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is Sooooooo CORRECT!

This thread was started as an exposition of K1VR's extremely detailed and factual objection to the amended Bylaw 46 draft.

As such, you need to be aware that K1VR was INVITED AND WAS PRESENT at the board meeting. IOW the person who DETAILED THE OBJECTIONS WAS PRESENT AT THE DECISION TO TABLE draft Bylaw 46.

That, to me, is the OPPOSITE of FASCISM.

Guys, when the ARRL board does something right could you at least CONSIDER acknowledging it? Only a handful here are even aware ...

Chip W1YW

KD9TED likes this.
  5. KD9TED

I understand he was there and acknowledge it. Still someone replied to one of my posts saying that he didn't know how to make a difference, and asked how I suggested we go about doing so. He also made it sound as if he believes we can't make a difference, but that's not true. Everyone remembers back in 2022 when they were going to raise new licenses and renewals to two $35 fees, one to the FCC and on to the VEs. But hams spoke out about it and it turned out to only be on $35 fee for the whole thing. This is the same principle, at least that's the story I was told about the fee increase.

Thanks Chip for agreeing.

73, Andrew KD9TED

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    W1YW likes this.
  6. AA5JC

AA5JC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm done with their ridiculousness. This is actually after-the-fact for me. I decided not to be member after they lied to us about the increase of the dues.

They put out a survey, asked our opinions, then summarily ignored us. Of course, Rick Roderick made it sound like a small, $10 increase from $49 to $59 dollars. But I would encourage Mr. Roderick to not mislead us; let's compare apples to apples...

Not only did they increase the annual dues to $59 dollars, but they also REMOVED the QST magazine from our mailboxes*. Basically if you want the same benefits you had from a $49 membership this year, then next year you'll have to pay $84!!! That's a 71% increase!!!

I'd love to know exactly what they have done to trim the fat in Newington. Personally, I've never once looked at any of the other three magazines they produce - I would suggest that they consolidate those into QST. I would also be interested in knowing how much money they pump into keeping LOTW alive, since no one is happy with how difficult that is.

Then Mr. Roderick ended his email saying, "The reality is that ARRL does a lot - in fact much more than dues cover." Why??!!!? Why do you do anything other than what the dues cover?!? That is exactly why you are out of money, dumbass!

Are you a Life Member and think this doesn't affect you? Wrong. Life Members will not receive a printed QST either unless you "opt in". Additionally, they have stopped offering lifetime memberships; supposedly this is a temporary measure "until we can price the offering to be revenue neutral over its term". My bet would be that we'll never see it again.

* With a $59 membership, you will be able to go view a digital version of QST after you open the ARRL website, log in to the site (why do I have to login every.. single... time??), then find it on that ridiculously difficult website.

K3XR, WE1I, W9YW and 3 others like this.
  7. KD9TED

I agree, but that is typically of most foundations like the ARRL.
    If they would stop spending money on worthless things hams don't care about they wouldn't have to increase the price. So why no just focus on issues related only to ham radio?

AA5JC and KE0GXN like this.
  8. K5LXP

K5LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

They're in line with many of the proposed remedies suggested in these forums - they're not unique or revolutionary. It's not a question of coming up with solutions- if there was a chance the League would be receptive to them, or would show some indication they had interest in member input there could at least be an exchange of ideas. The League has crafted an organization that effectively isolates themselves from their members and is navigating an unknown and tumultuous path. This idea that members have an actual say in any part of this process is laughable. Specifically, they're an organization that I have no voice, does not represent me, and engages in operating activity I find unethical. So I'm supposed to swallow that and perpetuate their activities for some potential greater good, someday? I don't subscribe to the idea that just because the League is the only game in town they're given an automatic pass to exist solely at their own pleasure. I have nearly zero confidence they have the acumen or resources to mitigate spectrum threats from any serious contender. Looking at it objectively without coloration of the past, I wouldn't even think about joining an organization like this today. No more 'future of ham radio' ransom payments to the League from me. I've given up, they win.

Mark K5LXP
    Albuquerque, NM

AA5JC, K3XR and KQ4MM like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't answer the question.

If you feel it necessary to assert the requirement--and that's my opinion from your comment-- of a totally new governance system for the ARRL, then IMO you should pose a new solution for said governance so we OTHER ARRL members can vet it before implementation.

I see absolutely NO suggestion by anyone on this thread on what new form of governance should replace the extant form.

Chip W1YW

10. K5LXP

K5LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I did, as the collective comments made in this and other recent forum threads here. It doesn't require new structure or even new players - just different attitude and conduct. You can't legislate character, and that's the key missing component.

Mark K5LXP
    Albuquerque, NM

AA5JC and WI4MM like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

WI4MM likes this.
  12. W2RWC

W2RWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL Membership with 12 issues of QST magazine was $6.50 in 1972. Adjusted for inflation, it would be around $45 today. They can't justify to me charging $84 for membership and printed QST magazine. At 70 years old with a retirement income devastated by inflation, I simply can't afford the over inflated price.

AA5JC and WE1I like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not being disrespectful, but in 1972 print was the only option. Now print and internet delivery are options, and clearly you and I use the internet. Since content is really the objective, and internet delivery could save you money, is that not an option for you?

Note that the$59 is indeed higher than $45 (inflation corrected) but you do get 4 magazines for a year; not just one.

Chip W1YW
    P.S. I am 69...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    NN4RH likes this.
  14. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

Your pension, like everyone's including mine, is always eaten by inflation. But postage also goes up. Print costs. Production costs. I want everything to be cheap forever, but see that aphorism about wishes.

Others along the way seem to come up with the $$. As for me, I'm still a member. A grousing member, but a member. I can also understand those that simply don't want to come up with the funds.

But correlation does not equal causation; causation equals causation and this means that even though inflation will continue to roar ahead (thank you, oil companies, war, and other market complications) you still have a choice. I wish there were more choices, but that's also historical.

Tom W9YW

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

W2RWC makes a very important point, Unfortunately he has tracked with the AVERAGE inflation rate. Publications and healthcare costs far exceeded the average rate, especially in the last 25 years.

The cost of a $7 sub of QST in 1972 would be well over $55 print in 2023. Actually there was an additional spike in the last year, which puts it close to $59.

Frankly, without the additional benefits of membership, I would NOT be paying $59 for a magazine. If that's all he sees to membership, that price may not make sense.

I am LM, since...2014? Don't remember.