ad: CQMM-1

ARRL New Comments include the ressurection of RM-11708

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0MU, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0MU

W0MU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On Monday the ARRL Filed Comments with the FCC on Emergency Communications during the 2017 Hurricane Season. My interest in this document is Item 32 on page 23 which talks about spectrum and RM-11708.

This filing was found only on the FCC site as of yesterday.

RM-11708 is the proposal that would allow automatic uncontrolled Pactor to pop up all over the place and attempts to redefine modes by bandwidth.

W0MU

K0IDT and WA3VJB like this.
  2. W0MU

3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K0IDT likes this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"... There is now pending in Congress the Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017,,. ( edit).... The Bill is unopposed.":rolleyes:

This entire document is just plain WACKO.
    Its plain to see that the ARRL thinks that Amateur radio is for EMMCOM only...................... follow the $$$$$$

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest submitting a "reply to comments" even though it's not structured like a typical RM. Mine will go in tomorrow after I clean up the language a bit.
    Plain and simple it's blatant attempt at an end run by the usual suspects to jam through the "Winlink Enhancement" proposal and if you haven't figured it out
    it's not about emcomm. The thing from ARRL is so loaded with factual errors and mis-statements if it was a book it would be in the fiction section. 31 freakin'
    pages to get to the point of we want our Pactor 4....waaah. It reads like something from a public relations department and I don't believe the thing even addressed
    the original questions.

Thanks W0MU for starting a thread on this, posted it a couple times in other related threads when it first hit but no one seemed interested, maybe this time........

6. W0MU

If you are interested in keeping up with the ARRL activities check out myarrlvoice.org or the Facebook page with the same name. Winlink.........is so bad.

ND6M likes this.
  7. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This guy wants not only wideband digital email, but encryption. All wrapped up in the flag of emergency communications.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Often as not, that's the real reason for legislation. However, it's more compelling to say it's for some undefinable altruistic cause.

9. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting read. You have to get to page 12 before you get any description of amateur radio deployments.

10. K0IDT

11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys need to get past bit rate equals baud equals symbol rate equals bandwidth. All that changed with Shannon in 1948.

Yes we could get vastly more out of our HF spectrum.

No I don't want the spectrum wiped out indiscriminately by semi commercial uses - parsimonious yachtie email and emcomm.

But that is manageable. And different than technical invention and progress in ham radio.

12. K0IDT

It's not manageable now with no enforcement and I wouldn't call email on HF exactly progress or invention. The whole mess is only about legalizing Pactor 4 so Winlink can play mailman.

ND6M likes this.
  13. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

wow, dude, switch to decaf. seriously. I NEVER hear winlink or pactor anything on any band. not squeezing me and my operations. meanwhile if they are really clogging up the tubes, why not let them run faster (symbols) and get out of the way sooner? can you cite a consistent intrusion on the amateur HF bands? I can't.

WU8Y likes this.
  14. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL has not changed its MO at all after the last meeting of the BOD. I was cautiously optimistic that they would see the need to listen to the membership and not the attorneys and corporate donors to the every growing list of foundations, funds, societies etc. It was predictable that the so called "force of 50" would be used as an example of the need to push their agenda. I guess I'll have to spend some time working on my comments to the FCC. Also, please note that there has been a change in how they describe "Encryption". As often as not "Encryption" is described as "obscuring". The claim is that they need it to handle messages containing HIPAA protected inforamtion, so as not to disclose the protected information to the listening public (and also to comply with the HIPAA security requirements). The problem is that this information is still protected information after the participants pack up their lap tops and head for home. The security requirements that include operator security awareness training; network security; protocol procedural training and documentation is out of control when volunteers are handling the protected information. The protected information is still protected on their personal equipment. Think of the ham radio volunteers as having their PC's loaded with your social security numbers, band account numbers, routing numbers etc. and then heading home with them on their PC's after the incident and you will get a better appreciation of what I'm talking about. Individual's medical information is just as protected and unauthorized disclosure subjects the responsible person to the same liability. Governmental employees who handle this information receive in depth security training on an ongoing basis and are covered by their employers liability insurance. Who is going to certify the training of the ham operators and protect them with liability insurance? Who is going to see to it that this protected information is scrubbed to NSA standards from the users lap tops after the incident? The plans and the training have to come first. Show me you are capable of the requirements of the task first, and then I'll listen to your arguments that the rules must be changed. If the "force of 50" was supposed to be an example of an organizational state of readiness it was a dismal failure, as far as the use of Winlink was concerned, not to mention security of information. That is not to demean the individual volunteers and their willingness to serve and the useful assistance they provided. The operators should be commended. But providing them with capable leadership was nonexistent.

ND6M and K0IDT like this.
  15. K0IDT

You must not operate much in the higher ends of the RTTY/Data sub bands. I can fire up the radio on any given day and in under 5 minutes find one of the little radio landmines crushing an already active frequency. One of the miscreants
    thought it was a good idea to dump his unattended Winlink RMS smack in the middle of the JT65 activity and it took weeks to even id and contact the guy to get him to move........moved alright, right on top of the JT9. If you have access
    to an SDR or good spectrum display take a look at 40m from 7040-7110 anytime and you'll see the problem, 30m isn't much better. Ever hear of Parkinson's Law? Loosely stated, any data usage will expand to fill the available resource.
    Fought that battle on fiber systems, the pipe is never big enough, faster (higher symbol rate) data is not the answer.

Can't switch to decaf dude, don't drink the stuff and can't get decaf Coke :)

ND6M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.