ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL Foundation to Create Club Grants Program

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB6NU, Jan 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

With undergraduate and graduate degrees in finance and twenty plus years in banking, I know one thing for sure: Stay away from the treasurer's post and off of finance committees for nonprofits, 501.c(3)'s. Their accounting and reporting is HINKY.

If you want something really interesting, get the League's IRS Form 990. Each organization with 501.c(3) -- nonprofit status -- and annual revenue of over $25,000 (last time I prepared one) is required to file an annual Form 990 information return with the IRS.

Failure to file can lead to loss of 501.c(3) / nonprofit status.

K0UO likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a pretty global assertion of fraud.

There is no evidence of any wrong doing ('hinky')from the ARRL. You can easily disagree with their actions--as I often do-- but using a small overhead charge as a basis for then going as far as asserting wrong doing is far, far beyond any measure of acceptable publicly stated opinion, IMO.

Have you looked at the overhead rates for administration by universities lately? It certainly isn't 16.7 %...

Try much higher.

NN4RH and K1LKP like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it does give back. Why are you implying it does not?

NN4RH and K1LKP like this.
  4. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

I DID NOT ALLEGE FRAUD OR FINANCIAL MISCONDUCT BY THE ARRL!

Nonprofits commonly use "fund" account, designating funds received for specific -- although generally vague -- purposes. However there is no assurance that funds contributed for a specific purpose -- say the building fund -- will be used for that purpose, and not "thrown into the pot" and used for general operating purposes.

IOW, once you give funds to a nonprofit, they can do whatever they want with those funds -- regardless of what they say.

Unless rigorously controlled, a nonprofit's use of fund accounting can degenerate into nothing more than a fund raising tool: if they won't give for purpose "X", maybe they'll give for "Y" or "Z">

AGAIN, I AM NOT ALLEGING THAT THE ARRL ENGAGES IN THIS PRACTICE.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    K0UO likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You said ALL such 501.3(c) non profits reportings are "HINKY" and that the 990 for the ARRL--such a non profit-- should be "interesting", thus asserting the 'hinki(ness)'. Any reasonable person, knowing that the ARRL is a 501.3(c), would have to conclude that your meaning is that the ARRL is involved in wrong doing: to wit--look up definition of "hinky" (=dishonest).

Good to see you are rescinding your allegation.

There is no reason whatsoever to think that the ARRL is dishonest in its reportings, nor (BTW, as asserted by other) taking unreasonable overhead.

IMO, I have no idea how you guys come up with this stuff.

Both ARDC and ARRL have a nice program here. Take that as a positive for ham radio.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  6. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not implying, inferring or suggestion... I am saying it!

The ARRL is a cheap-o-est organization I've ever seen. Everything costs money, and nothing is free... in a hobby. I've been to Newington twice and that was my experience. Beyond VE'ing and QSL card forwarding, I think the league is useless. Sorry, didn't mean to make your head explode.

ARRL test books are inferior to other study guides. ARRL magazines are dichotomous; either uber technical or uber simplified. Furthermore, I'd say not much goes into the writing, editing or proofing of written matter from the ARRL. Oh but, wait the advertisements are certainly there!

The ARRL is meh, IMO. I belong to the ARRL, but I really don't know why. I do not recommend it to anyone, and I know more hams who do not belong than do.

Does that help you?

7. KQ1V

... I would like to see the ARRL financials. The ARRL in Newington reminds me of a masonic Grand Lodge... lots of people going places on the company dime.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it definitely informs us who you are, and as to whether any of your comments on this matter have substance.

Yes,

I think it says a lot.

Try to have a nice day.

Chip W1YW

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I shall be applying (for KL7EX) in April. Great use for ARRL funds....long overdue

W1YW likes this.
  10. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

I did not say that "ALL 501.3(c) reporting is questionable per se. I believe that they can be questionable because they use fund accounting; there is no assurance that a contribution to group A's "X" fund will be used for the stated purpose. I believe that it is unethical for an organization to solicit funds c for a specific purpose and the not use them for that purpose.

The American Red Cross got caught in this trap some years ago. They solicited contributions for the relief of hurricane victims and the used the a majority of the funds for general administrative purposes.

The ARRL's 990 is interesting because it would show the sources and applications of funds -- where they received money from and where they used it. If the ARRL furnished a copy of its 990 to each member and contributor it would go a long way to improving financial transparency and reducing -- not eliminating -- speculation.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest you read what you said. Don't blame the reader please. Parse out your sentences.

All this is irrelevant to the ARRL, who has no history nor indication of any unusual or 'hinky' reporting or efforts.

Have a pleasant evening.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  12. KQ1V

The beauty of America, is that we do not always have to agree. I always have a great day and pleasant evenings; wishing you the same.

W1YW likes this.
  13. ABASSI

ABASSI QRZ Member

Blimey!
    With a membership of 160,000 that's a little under $3.13 per amateur going into the pot.

Membership to me is $76 for a year or $217 for 3.

lifetime is $1900 or $1515 if I'm over 70 years old
    (At my allocated 3 score years and 10 that's only $385 difference.)

Effectively I've got to live to 89.93 years old to break even or 142.14 years old if you consider the only thing I get is QST ($21 per year)

If the only thing I get is $418 worth of QST & I only live to 89.93 years old & get no other ARRL benefits....:rolleyes:
    In my reckoning that's $1097 I'm putting in the pot as a gift to help you guys.

$500,000 doesn't seem that much now, From a non profit making organisation.

YOUR WELCOME ! :)

This is strictly hypothetical ! :D

14. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone—member or not—has access to ARRL 990s on the organization website:

http://www.arrl.org/irs-form-990

K0UO and W0PV like this.
  15. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. The $600,000 is coming from ARDC, not from the ARRL's members. ARRL is administering the grants program as a long established membership amateur radio organization.

K0UO and W0PV like this.