ad: CQMM-1

ARRL Digital Membership $9.99/6 months

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DB, Jul 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6VXP

W6VXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the QST every month and enjoy what I like. I still get the morning newspaper and AGAIN I read what I like, some of it is useless like some things in QST, but I still get to choose what I read. I'm retired and have a fixed income and I choose to spend my money on what I like...... You have your freedom of choice. I chose ARRL. QST and I'll go to the wall too, with YOUR choice.... ted/w6vxp

2. W6XPA

W6XPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Find a cheaper hobby then.

KC9UDX likes this.
  3. KR4AW

KR4AW Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy reading the mags I read them over and over. But one important thing ARRL does is it looks after our hobby. The way I see it not only paying for a mag but also supporting an organization that looks after our hobby. I rather spend my money on ARRL than purchasing a tablet. 73's KR4AW

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Like UUU said. You're not paying for the rag. You get the rag as a side benefit.

There are really good reasons why QST is in print and mandatory reception in the USA. It wouldn't even be what it is now if that changes.

So you want to read QST online? Sign up, and read QST online. Have the print edition mailed to your local St. Vincent De Paul, or similar organisation.

Dues just don't pay for QST. Look at all the ads. Cutting out QST just won't reduce the dues enough to matter.

But I get it. It's not about QST in digital media. It's not about what you don't like about ARRL. It's about being a cheapskate.

K1HC likes this.
  5. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted most of this in another thread but it needs repeating here...

this is an edited version...

To those I say, if not the ARRL then who? Who else is out there putting forth the effort to lobby Congress, the FCC, State legislatures and even having their legal counsel write letters to city government when the city is trying to regulate something that only the FCC has jurisdiction over.

Again I ask, if not the ARRL then who?

I am proud to be a (soon to be a life) member. Do I agree with all that they do? Of course not, but they do represent the hams in this country as there is no other organization out there to do it.
    As far as the Leadership of the organization, you can email your Director, Section manager or anyone else you care to and express your opinion.
    Most members don't even vote for their Division Director. Their is a recent article by Tom Gallagher in August QST that says it is around 25%. That is pathetic.

To those who are members (or not) I say express your opinions to your Director and Section Manager...Let him / her know what you think.
    To those who are not members, join.

Can you imagine an organization with 750,000 plus hams? The NRA has over 5 million (so they say) and look at the lobbying clout they have. If the ARRL had almost every ham as a member, the political clout would be grown exponentially.

Whether you agree with the ARRL or not, they are the only national organization out there for ham radio. They deserve your support as hams to protect not only our right to operate, but to protect our frequencies. For $49 a year you get alot and you get a free magazine to boot!

W4LJ, K1HC and KC9UDX like this.
  6. GW3YDX/SK2023

GW3YDX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to have the same discussion with the RSGB. Magazine is generally poor and consists mostly of irritating adverts. RSGB annual subscription now a stunning $80. I wrote to the RSGB two months ago proposing either membership with a web-magazine or membership without any kind of magazine, to lower the costs of membership. Told them that after 50 loyal years of RSGB membership now that I was no longer working I have to question expenses. Told them I would seriously consider quitting if a lower-cost membership option was not available. Still awaiting a reply. The RSGB RadCom generally gets ten minutes and then in the waste bin. Huge waste of distribution costs and paper (paid for by the members), and ecologically most unsound.

Good luck with the ARRL. Lets hope you have contacted them direct with your proposals.

Ron GW3YDX

7. KE8BYU

KE8BYU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't want the magazine, why are you eagerly waiting for the digital version to fill your tablet? Cost? Some people like the traditional magazine just like some people like to hold their newspaper in their hands in the morning with their cup of coffee. I doubt you'd use the savings to buy an antenna. You'd piss it away on other things just like the rest of us.

8. W4ATL

W4ATL Ham Member QRZ Page

The membership price is not for a magazine subscription. It is dues for membership in an organization the represents the interests of ham radio operators in the United States. A magazine is one of the benefits for membership in this organization. As a member of the organization you submit ballots to elect your representatives at the section and division levels. You can address your concerns about ham radio related issues to these individuals. If these representatives are not addressing your concerns, you can nominate someone who does, or run for office yourself.

I do not agree with everything the ARRL does, but I agree with most of the things they do. Is there anyone you agree with 100% of the time? We are under constant attack from industry for our valuable spectrum and they represent our interests in Washington. I've visited HQ many times in Newington and I can assure you that the offices are nice and functional but not plush or overly extravagant. Overall I believe they spend the membership dues money wisely.

Ham Radio is my main hobby and guided me to a great career in the communications industry. It is important enough that I choose to support the ARRL to represent me and this fantastic hobby. If you consider the money spent on radios and accessories, the additional money for dues to protect your interests is not very expensive.

KC9UDX likes this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope I never get to a point in my life where I have to fret over $49 a year.

If I did I'd have to ask the wife to give up her Keurig Cups and just use a Mr Coffee. We'd save $49 in no time but she would hate me.

N5KGN, WN2C and KC9UDX like this.
  10. K2ATJ

K2ATJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No I'm OK with 20 as stated.

1 person likes this.
  11. NN4RH

Absolutely. I don't understand why people don't get this. It's never been all about the magazine.

I'm a member but rarely look at the magazine. I opted for the digital subscription instead of print to save the organization the cost of printing and mailing since I wasn't reading it anyway. The money I send them for membership and occassional publications purchase helps support all the things they do - legislative and regulatory, contesting support, the ARRL Lab, W1AW, education and outreach activities, and so on.

Complain about advertising? Without advertising revenue they could not function. It is excessive? Not for the membership dues we pay. Cut back on advertising they'd have to either cut way back on services, or double or triple dues, or both.

People also complain about the executive level pay being "too high". Sheesh. $100k - $150k salary is right at the median pay level for non profit organizations of that size. If anything they're underpaid for what they do.

12. KC9UDX

But does not printing it save money? I assume advertisers pay by circulation.

13. K2ATJ

K2ATJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The magazine should be self-supporting due to the advertising. If the Mag can't maintain itself through that revenue then either the management/sales departments are ineffective, or the money isn't there from advertisers. If that's the case, then the mag should fold as it's not a good business enterprise. Asking members to support the mag because it's THE MAG is a waste of time and money and the cost keeps prospective members away.

NK2U, KM4NOW and (deleted member) like this.
  14. NN4RH

Digital subscriptions count in the advertising rate calculations.

15. KC9UDX

Equally?

If so, the advertisers aren't very smart in my opinion.