ad: QuirkyQRP-1

ARRL Digital Membership $9.99/6 months

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DB, Jul 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every time you get on the air you are benefiting from what the ARRL has done over the past 100 years, that is what the metaphor was intended to communicate, sorry you missed it.

K1HC and WN2C like this.
  2. KG5KPU

KG5KPU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel that the ARRL's political influence is invaluable. With the competition for frequency allocations heating up and getting hotter, it is very important to maintain a strong lobby in Washington DC. Aside from that, I have used the ARRL's (free) legal advice for an issue I have with my local city council re: building codes and antenna installations. The advice I have received would have cost me several hundred dollars if I had hired an attorney.

QST magazine usually has at least 1, and often several, articles that I find interesting. Many of them are written above my technical level, but that forces me to do research and expand my knowledge.

I have no problem with paying 50 bucks a year for an ARRL membership.

David Rogers
    KG5KPU

K1HC likes this.
  3. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a life member and have been for over 10 years now.

K2HAT likes this.
  4. AE5DJ

AE5DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you there. I have no problem with the ARRL, but I certainly don't need a print magazine that is expensive to produce, mail, and that I will ultimately have to find a way to either file or dispose of. A digital-only membership makes perfect sense. Yes, full membership, without half of my membership fee going towards a slick, glossy magazine I don't want. It's the 21st century. Paper is passe.

The Singing News, the predominate Southern Gospel Music publication, offers both print and digital only subscriptions. So do many other publications and organizations with publications. Why should the ARRL be any different?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    KU4X and (deleted member) like this.
  5. K3GD

K3GD Ham Member QRZ Page

When i get to retirement age and have lots of money to blow, I'll renew. :)
    Meanwhile the family gets the extra money from the paycheck. PS- CQ has a digital magazine for far less than $50.00 a year.

1 person likes this.
  6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously Gentlemen the QST MAGAZINE is a shell of it's former SELF and NOT REALLY WORTH THE MONEY!!! I'd be more than happy to support the league WITHOUT GETTING THE CRUMMY MAGAZINE!!! So having the option of a (E) MEMBERSHIP makes a huge lotta SENSE!!! P.S!!! I'D been a member for over 48yrs. and the magazine sucks NOW!!!
    Are YOU LISTENING ARRL???

1 person likes this.
  7. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like I'd said the ARRL is WORTH SUPPORTING especially from the standpoint of their "LEGISLATIVE CLOUT" and I'm all for THAT!!! But the magazine is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS!!!

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL members may choose to opt-out of the mailed, print edition of QST at any time.
    Go Now

K8PG, AE7RZ and KC9UDX like this.
  9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Better yet, donate it to someone. Someone somewhere will appreciate it.

Good grief. If only we had real problems to worry about.

N9KY, W4IOA and KG7E like this.
  10. K7LJ

K7LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I subscribe to Singing News, too. But just like QST, I prefer the actual printed copy. Singing News also sends out a 2-CD set of music every year when you renew, for just a postage/handling charge. Maybe the ARRL should look at something similar - no music, but some of the collections of past year's articles would be nice!

11. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

If you visit often enough and wear your Call and Name badge, it helps. ;)

I have visited ARRL HQ and W1AW many times, and find the folks there to be Friendly and if not extra busy, glad to talk for a few minutes.

There has been several times after a local VE Session, that I drive to Newington and drop off the VE Session paperwork in person.

Saves 2-4 days of snail mail, and it can not get lost on the way. :)

Yes I most likely live closer than 90% of you, it is less than 3 hours including stopping for breakfast, and to purchase some extra good doughnuts
    that I leave at the Receptionist desk, to be distributed to whomever. 2 to 2.5 hours going home most of the time.

73 K2HAT

[​IMG]

K8PG, K1HC, W6JPG and 2 others like this.
  12. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All members have access to the QST archives. It's actually much more convenient (except for people like me who pay for data) to get them online rather than on mailed media.

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's so simple: If you don't like it don't subscribe.

LOTS of clubs and magazines I don't like and don't subscribe. And a few I do.

Why is this "thread fodder" exactly? Take it to 75-meters :rolleyes:

Just QUIT your membership = DONE

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K8PG and KC9UDX like this.
  14. W1RPG

W1RPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Joining the ARRL is not just a magazine. It's a whole lot more. Plush headquarters? I beg to differ. The word I'd use is Modest at best.

If you'd try to get all the benefits that you receive with ARRL membership, you'd have to spent much more than the current dues.

But if all you're looking for is a magazine whether in print or digital, I'm sure that a hungry source is awaiting with open arms. In looking at their website, your price point is in their offering. But you get only a magazine, nothing more.
    https://store.cq-amateur-radio.com/product-category/cq-subscriptions-new-or-renewal-subscriptions/

Robert P Giuliani W1RPG

KC9UDX likes this.
  15. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's all really very simple... If you don't like the ARRL don't join... If you do, then join. Either way you will get the benefits of the ARRL's work. It's up to you. Me, I prefer to join, I think the ARRL has been a force for good in the Amateure Radio Community from day one...

W4LJ, K8PG, K1HC and 1 other person like this.