ad: QuirkyQRP-1

ARRL Bulletin on Morse Code Elimination

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD7YMR

KD7YMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Damn!
    I Like you . . . Yer' Kewl! [​IMG]

2. K9HPC

K9HPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I am not going to claim to be half as smart as 90% of you are, I am a Tech-no code and I have been trying for a very long time to learn the morse code. I have bought the tapes, the pocket tutor, and various other Morse code devices to assist me in learning Code. Now as to why I haven't obtained my element 1 CSCE is long and distinguished all of which are of my own doing. So I make no excuses, But with the general and extra tests now not requiring the element 1 certification I will be able to talk with my father who lives in IL while I am here in Norfolk, VA serving this wonderful nation that we live in as a Proud and Active Member of the US Navy for the past 14 years of my life. I will be able to do this on bands not previously available to me as a no-code tech on something other than echo-link which might or might not be operating at a given time. Am I happy that this has finally happened absolutely!! Does this mean that I am going to stop working towards my Morse Code CSCE absouletly NOT!! I will still drive myself to learn those pesky dits and dashes. I just hope that if i amtalking on the new bands after this goes into affect that those of us who are the "NEW" General and "extra" Classes will not be ridiculed by the very few "oldtimers" who consider themselves above us because they have the morse code certification.

3. K1MBF

K1MBF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"HOWDY TO ALL YOU CW OPS OUT THERE." MORSE CODE REQUIREMENT OR NOT, WE CAN STILL HAVE FUN WITH OUR CW QSO'S AND ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO LEARN CODE AND JOIN US IN THE FUN. CHECK OUT skccgroup.com, "STRAIGHT KEY CENTURY CLUB" WITH ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS. I'LL BE LISTENING FOR YOU ON THE CW BANDS, 73'S FROM A TENNESSEE BRASS POUNDER, K1MBF...-.-

4. KI4MSA

KI4MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the FCC has made it PERFECTLY clear as to what will happen with both Technician classes.  Anybody that actually takes the time to read the FCC release will see that once it becomes effective, No-Code Technicians will have the same operating privileges as the Tech Plus.

This NO-CODE Tech says:
    ... . .   -.-- .-   --- -.   .... ..-.  [​IMG]

5. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

QRO? If push comes to shove how about switching mode to SSB, hook up the sidetone to the mic terminals and key it & the PTT with your J38 or bug? That should give a nice fat "CW" signal! With full break-in! Might cut through the QRM pretty well, too.

Like they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

AF2Z

6. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All is well...
    The sky is not falling...
    Time moves on to keep pace with progress...
    Relax, it's over with, and look forward to more HF contacts...
    Good timing with approaching solar cycle...

If you like CW, then get it on, all that has happened is this so
    called "right of passage", is soon to be a footnote.

Merry Christamas to all..

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a terrible development. Without a code-no code dilemma, what in the world are we going to talk about ? 73 Joe W4CBJ

8. N7SPY

N7SPY Ham Member QRZ Page

*walks in*

*reads thread*

Forget it, it's not worth it... [​IMG] [​IMG]

*walks away*

9. N7SEE

N7SEE Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s attitudes like this Einstein exhibits that have driven many a new op off of the airwaves and put amateur radio at risk in the first place. Heck, I wouldn’t run HF even if I could just because I've personally been subjected to these "people of small mind" ever since I got my ticket. I run a clean station and my practices are above reproach, how many "old timers" have you heard on 75M or even 40M who can claim that? I'd bet money that the same people who gripe the loudest about this are the same people who gripe and complain at every club meeting about new equipment, club functions, and community services the hams are asked to help with. My experience has been that they are also the last ones to lift a finger to help.....Personally, I say good riddance to the small minds. It will leave more bandwidth for the people who know what a hobby is and are willing to help a newcomer. How many older folks out there have wives or even widows who draw a SSI check every month? Did every one of them have a job and pay their own fair share into SSI? Heck no! I personally know 20+ people who get a cheque every month and have never paid a dime into it. I work MY butt off everyday to help pay for their retirement. Would it be fair to stop their cheque since they didnt pay enough or even any thing into SSI? I don’t think so. So why is the “CW or die” crowd so quick to belittle the no codeer as a “lazy ect, ect”. “I had to learn code so you should too” just doesn’t fit any better than “I work for a living and your wife didn’t so she shouldn’t get a nickel” mentality. Lets end the arguing and help those that want to learn and start enjoing the hobby for what it is, a HOBBY.

10. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

One again the people have spoken for the underlings. [​IMG]

11. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Kool,

now my YL can study the General and enjoy all the HF fun too
    It will also let me get a new radio he he he

what mobile HF radio should I get kg4qoz?
    any comments?

k4eez

12. WY9L

WY9L Ham Member QRZ Page

hello
    i just wanted to say i have only been a ham just over 1 /12 years,at first i wanted them to drop the code but then i started getting into code practice & have changed my opinion on it,i think if a person enjoys doing code then by all means keep doing it,but dont deprive the rest of us from talking hf bands,ham radio is supposed to be a fun hobby,it cant be if everyone is complaining about the lower classes getting to upgrade,i have had some hams say they dont want to talk to hams who just get a free ride,i think that is ridiculous.
    please keep the hobby going so we all can enjoy it.

13. KI4MSA

KI4MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are a VE, I truely hope that you don't have have someone explain to you what was released, and what will soon happen.

As a NO-CODE Tech, it seems rather simple to me.

This NO-CODE Tech says:
    ... . .   -.-- .-   --- -.   .... ..-.  [​IMG]

14. KI4OEE

KI4OEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a question? I am a no code tech and I plan on upgrading but since the new order, does this mean i can get on the certain HF bands on all modes or just CW. [​IMG]

15. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

this is computer/ internet not ham radio

you don't need a license to operate on qrz
    who cares what the spoiled children say.

read the valid posts and laugh at the flamers.

help a new ham or a new up graded ham, regardless of their cw status, and things will be ok

CW will still be here, it is a good mode. just the requirement for testing is dropped.

if you don't operat some cw, you give away about half of the band width you are authorized to use.

Most dx works primairly CW

remember there are a zillion modes between ssb and cw for instance, psk 31, psk63, hellschreiber, rtty, amtor, packet, ssTV, ATV, moon bounce, satalites, contesting, low power (qrp), boat anchors, ELF , extremely huigh frequency stuff ( the giga-hurts folks), am, fm, fsk, and so on. so find one you like and go play.

make CW a pride thing, besides being darn handy.

and BTW folks I operate primairly on SSB, and have probably only made 10 or 11 cw contacts this year, but I encourage folks to learn it because it is a great mode.

I remember the same doom and gloom when they started ssb, and again when they went to the 3 license system.

so good bad or indifferent, this is the new truth, and cw will be around for a long time, just not as a requirement for testing. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.