ad: elecraft

ARRL Bulletin on Morse Code Elimination

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0ZOA

N0ZOA Ham Member QRZ Page

those who think think ham radio is not a hobby should remember this code

The Amateur’s Code

The radio amateur is --

Considerate: -- Never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

Loyal: -- Offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, through which amateur radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.

Progressive: -- With knowledge abreast of science, a well built and efficient station and operation above reproach.

Friendly: -- Slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

Balanced: -- Radio is an avocation, never interfering with the duties owed to family, job, school or community.

Patriotic: -- Station and skill always ready for service to country or community.

Written in 1928 by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA

no where in here does it say that it is a service and it was written probably before any of us on these forum had licenses

2. KB9YGD

KB9YGD QRZ Lifetime Member #114 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If a person is technically skilled he/she should not be held back by a language such as cw and how would the cw requirment hold someone back from entering amateur radio!If you want something you need to work toward attaining it a very simple thing indeed and its no different with ham radio there are proffesional no code techs out there that are not challenged in any way who have been waiting 20 or more years just to be handed something because they are to lazy to set aside the time to study for what they want!What a mindset,Im not and never was this way.Norm/kb9ygdMy Webpage

3. KI4NNL

KI4NNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Your opinion about what a person should or should not be held back by does not matter.  CW was not intended as a filter, and now that the requirement for it by the ITU is gone the test too is gone.  Tradition, filter, etc has little to do with it.  You obviously take your hobby VERY seriously, great, I am very happy you enjoy it, but your idea of what is or is not lazy has absolutely no bearing on the issue, I am sorry but that is the course the FCC has taken, so lets move on with things.

4. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps if we learn to think of the dropping of CW as equavalent to "affirmative action". Our slow citizens need a big hand up as I see so many that have been "hams' for years and years and could not make the grade. After all, we graduate illiterates from high school and Michigan colleges now, don't we? Perhaps I am changing my tune; no-coders need help to make it to the HF bands. A lOT of help.

5. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so are you gonna call all the new folks that come into ham radio in the next few years lazy too? They might be someone that just got interested in the hobby just recently and because of the change in the rules he can not take a code test to prove his worth as you say. Too much of a double standard on ham radio these days. CW is a mode only. They don't test every other mode seperately so why this one. Read the R&O and you will understand why they got rid of code testing. Apparently most of you no-code bashers have not even taken the time to actually read the R&O. I have and I understand the reasons behind it. Not because some folks are lazy. Some just choose not to use code. I took the code test and passed it then forgot it because I do not plan on using the code. It would have made my life much easier if they had eliminated the code 10 years ago but because that was the rules then I did it. Now the rules have changed and I am not going to fault anyone for jumping on the bandwagon. I remember how many jumped at the chance to become a 5wpm General like myself and 5wpm Extras on April 15th, 2000 when they changed the rules back then. I guess all those guys including myself were just lazy too. I think not. We took advantage of a rule change and upgraded. Change in this hobby is good. Being stagnant is bad. I give it about 5-10 years and no one will care about this issue anymore. I heard the same arguments back in 2000 when they dropped the 13 and 20. If you read that R&O you would understand the reasons behind that too.

READ the R&O and you might gain a little knowledge about why the FCC did what they did.

6. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, so now our greenhorn NCT thinks he's a psychologist too! Do us all a favor and go back to CB where you belong. The gang on 27.185 is waiting for you. There are plenty of new guys with the "5-letter" calls who act civil on these forums and who don't have the arrogant, obnoxious attitude that you do. Obviously, you are not one of them. And we neither need nor want your kind in amateur radio.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with old technology. While you're sending your ricebox back to Yaesu, Kenwood, or ICOM because you can't fix it, I can just do a little circuit tracing and get back on the air with the "boat anchors". And the old stuff will laugh at power surges and antenna mismatches. Can't say the same for the new stuff.

While I don't "know it all", I do have a lot more experience than you do...38 years worth of it! One thing they should have taught you when you first "got into ham" is that you can learn a lot from guys who have been around longer than you have. The records show that you were licensed last April. Gee, what a lot of background in amateur radio! I guess you're an expert in all things related to our hobby. It's a good thing we don't have pilots with your attitude. The cops would be picking them and the remains of their planes off the ground with a spatula.

7. KB9YGD

KB9YGD QRZ Lifetime Member #114 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well it seems there are so many opinions on this subject and mine is only one of many but still oh so true and infact a perfect example is coworkers in the workplace that hirein and never advance for whatever reason or the teenager who never learns to read and of course is not mentally chalenged or perhaps the guy who never gets his drivers license because ``ITS TO HARD TO PASS THE TEST`` Oh come on!By the way i think that many of the problems we face in everyday life are related to the many who are so laxed (stinkin` lazy) in their dealings with certain things and of course cw whithin amateur radio is no exception.Norm/Kb9ygd

Attached Files:

8. KC7GNM

K2PG, well said. What I have been trying to say to the no-code bashers all along. CW is not going away, just the testing of CW. Anyone can use CW on any band. Tech no-codes can do it on 2m if they want. Just because they didn't test does not mean they can't use it. I personally do not like CW and will never use it. I tested on it over 10 years ago and probably can't copy 2 wpm now if I tried.

If you want to operate code you can do it. If you don't then there is plenty of other modes to use too. We all need to stop the bashing and welcome new hams into the fold instead of bringing them down.

9. KC7GNM

I hope you are not going by QRZ and the effective date. If so I guess I was just licensed 21 Jun 05. I have been licensed since 7 Nov 94 but that isn't shown there.

10. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome back!

11. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, I don't know about that. There are guys still complaining about incentive licensing, and that is several decades old. And has proved its worth, IMO. (I'm here, aren't I?)

12. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, Ill agree with this...I stand corrected.

It should read "they will REALLOCATE our frequencies" instead.

Sorry, guess i was caught up in the moment. [​IMG]

73...Adam, N7YA

13. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh heh, number 5 has been directed at me already...thats funny. yes, ive seen them all too...hey, ive even SAID (typed) one or two of them...not so sure about woohoo, but maybe a similar expression.

But i think its the actual operators that will die the slow death, ham radio itself...after further review and personal conclusion...will live on in one capacity or another. And it will do so with its fair share of good guys and bad guys, super smart ones and ones who just barely got by, etc, etc...If you are cool, ill be happy to talk to you. Thats my final answer, Regis.

73...Adam, N7YA

14. KE5EIY

KE5EIY Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess what lard butt, amateur radio is not your exclusive little club.  Your useage of "we neither need or want your kind in amateur radio" lets many to believe that you think you own the amateur frequencies.  Guess what the answer to that is my chubby friend?  

So tubes are everywhere for your boat achors?  Hard to find any easily now days.  Your stuck in the past and haven't learned anything for years because of it.  Power consumption on those "room heaters" is very high making them unwise to use during emergencies.  But I guess you think the armed forces and the police still use old outdated equipment?  Weight, size, capability, power consumption, and dependability are important to save lives.  

You know of me and my abilities how?  How many people, with all of your experience, have you ever elmered (without eatting them whole, of course)?  You have such a small little mind for such a large person.

WOO HOO!  The fat man has sung.   [​IMG]   Let's get back on topic shall we, doughnut later, topic now.  You started this tiff with your stating that I was, in no uncertain words, dim witted for being a member of the ARRL.  When I stated that I enjoyed being a member and gladly pay my dues (my choice), you could not accept my answer.  Did I type too fast for you to understand?  Shall I type s-l-o-w-e-r?

O.k., now you can eat your doughnut. [​IMG]

15. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

I rest my case.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.