ad: ProAudio-1

Anonymous Postings Draw Negative Consensus

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

A consolidation reply to many postings before this:

* QRZ is a fine site, but I would not pay for it.
    Hmmm.  You have just posted your opinion to tens of thousands of people, on equipment that I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of my own time  building.  With an opinion like that I'd expect you to also say: "I'll gladly stay at your house, eat your food, and watch your TV, but I won't pay for it.".

* Why not just IGNORE the garbage postings?
    A 12 year-old comes to our site and the first thing he sees is a raving soliloquy of assorted four-letter words, racial slurs, sexual innuendos, and full color photo attachments of teenagers engaged in beastiality.  Kind of hard to ignore those, I'd say. It's the sort of stuff that only an anonymous poster would dare post.  Make no mistake about it because things like that DO get posted here when we aren't looking and they remain completely visible to the world until a moderator happens to come along to remove it.

* Why not just get a bunch of aggressive moderators?
    Two problems: first, the post must exist before it can be moderated.  Once it exists, it can be viewed.  The only workaround for that is to require moderator approval on ALL posts, something that would slow down the site considerably. Secondly, it's hard to find good, consciencious moderators who don't become intoxicated with power and/or start bullying people around.  Moderators aren't supposed to shape the tone of the site, only police it.

* Why not go to a self-moderating system like Slashdot?
    Slashdot is absolutely the best thing we've seen for techies, programmers, scientists, engineers, etc..  You don't see too many truck drivers, housewives, or investment bankers in there, however.  That's because it's TOO COMPLICATED for the average non-technical person.  We used an early version of slashdot here for over a year and our mailbox was constantly overflowing with questions regarding its use, and even its language.  By the very nature of our broad user demographic, we needed something that was both simple and powerful.

* Why not add [insert a new feature here] to the system?
    It's pretty darn difficult to add major new features to our forum.  That's because it's a commercial software package that wasn't designed for QRZ in the first place.  The last time I upgraded the QRZ system software my first step was to buy a new computer to run it on.  Only then could I build up the new software layer-by-layer.  Most folks don't realize that there are ZERO commercial software packages that do everything that QRZ does including the callsign database management.  Also, I've already filled up my computer room and can't afford to add another machine because our air conditioning can't absorb any additional load.

On a positive note, we have learned a lot from this discussion and are still looking for ways to provide better quality service at a reasonable cost of convenience to the end users.

cheers,

-fred

2. WB5RVV

WB5RVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the ideal of giving a credit card number for you to have on file. That will help. I notice in my everyday life,
    the people that do not want to give that little tid bit of info usually have something to hide. I am not afraid to give out my SS number if nessacary. So, require a c. card and charge $20 will be fine. These days, alot of people want something for nothing. Not me, I understand. Come
    on folks, think of someone else instead of just yourself. We were put on this earth to get along .Thanks Fred.

3. AG4PM

AG4PM QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aa7bq @ May 22 2002,01:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">* Why not go to a self-moderating system like Slashdot?
    Slashdot is absolutely the best thing we've seen for techies, programmers, scientists, engineers, etc..  You don't see too many truck drivers, housewives, or investment bankers in there, however.  That's because it's TOO COMPLICATED for the average non-technical person.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think the fact that you feel that Ham Radio Operators are too stupid to understand a moderation system says all we need to know about the future (and the past) of Amateur Radio.

Slashdot is not complicated if one cares to RTFM.

I came to the boards on QRZ to escape what any reasonable person would agree, is the filth on the usenet hamradio groups.  Judging from the rancor displayed on qrz.com, it will soon be joining the newsgroups.   I am a huge proponent of discussion and disagreement but I have never seen arguments that lack a basic consideration for a fellow man like I have seen between hams.  While discussing ideas is great for growth, the type of virulent arguments you see in Ham Radio is driving away more people than you could possibly imagine.

I'll head back over to slashdot.org and enjoy mature, intelligent discussions in a system that limits one's exposure to kiddies and those with kiddie-like behavior.

Ya, ya, I know- good riddance.  Whatever.....

4. Guest

Guest Guest

When i become a Ham radio operator,,,,,
    Yes it is esencial question, Ham radio operator can't be anonymous, why, in the QSO we excange name , QTH, RST and more than common information. Also we excange a QSL card(with complete adress and other data). So why some of member are anonymous? i can't se reason.
    And yes when i become a Ham radio operator i accept that can't stay anonymous, every time when i turn on my radio i am ready to say about me. No secret.

5. KF4OUI

KF4OUI Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not think that anonymous users should be banned from posting. The potential for abuse is not a valid reason to prevent someone who wants to be a ham from having full use of this site. In my area, people that are preparing for their technician exam are told about this site so that can take practice tests - if these potential new hams wish to post a message they should be able to do so. Shutting them out because they do not have a license yet is not in the spirt of this hobby.

Also - if someone really wants to act like a fool on this site, and "anonymous" logins are prevented from all areas of this site, the abusers will simply pirate a legit callsign.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Firstly, this is GM6MEN, Paul Thompson, from Scotland - details under that callsign in the callsign database. I happen to have registered under a nickname (for innocent reasons given elsewhere).

Secondly I would like to remind NU7T that Americans didn't invent standing by one's beliefs. No slight against Americans is intended, but we Scots can claim the same, as can the folk of whatever nationality who go by the same "nickname" as I do (and they were renowned for it before there ever was a USA).

Thirdly, the answer is simple. It lies within the response given by the QRZ.COM spokesman, and it has nothing to do with anonymity, or with paying money, or with registering with a callsign. Identify the trouble-maker, whether he is anonymous or not, see if he has a problem which can be resolved gently, and if not expel him. No need for any further soul-searching or argument, no need for excluding people by category (a totally wrong principle, as the history of Nazi Germany proves - we hams do not want to go down that road, we are inclusive and welcoming).

Fourthly, and finally - time for us all to lighten up, and go back to enjoying ham radio and swl, to appreciate the fine, free service we get from QRZ.COM.

73 to everyone, especially to those who disagree with me.

Paul

7. N5JOB

N5JOB Banned

Come on, man!

I haven't seen anything so bad on here that would warrant any kind of severe action like charging fees.

The day it costs me money to come on here is the day I won't come on here. I know you don't care, but that's what I would do.

This is just a radio site. Therefore, in the long run, it's not THAT important. There are a lot of radio sites..

The solution is simple. If anyone gets bothered by someone, the best rule is to IGNORE it, remembering that ANYONE can say ANYTHING about ANYONE and it does NOT mean that it is TRUE.

8. w6dce

w6dce Ham Member QRZ Page

No callsign.. no credibility.. Until such time as you people stop hiding behind your silly little nicknames, you get NO respect from me whatsoever.

As far as I am concerned, your just another funny voice jackoff, or anonymous jammer. If you wanna have cutsie little names... go back to CB where you belong.

I obviously am a very outspoken individual, but as you will notice, I place MY callsign out there and if you were to go look it up you would find that my info is there and it isn't some silly PO box.

Grow up people.. If your afraid of your hobby, it is time to get a new hobby...

9. kd5rpo

kd5rpo Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that the most implementable method at this time would be to charge a site fee for anyone who wants to post anonymously. Credit cards are an option, but a check or money order option should be available.
    Not a perfect solution, but it seems like it could help.

KD5RPO Albuquerque  [​IMG]

10. KF4OUI

KF4OUI Ham Member QRZ Page

No callsign no credibility huh? I suppose you were granted your license when you were a fetus. There was never a time in your life when you did not have a callsign..

What about the people who do not have a license yet but are trying to get one? What if they want to come to this site to post a question? I suppose they should be banned because they have no credibility huh. What a great way to say to a prospective ham "welcome to the club - now GO AWAY!".

The idea of ham radio is that we are a community within a society. In theory, there is goodwill among all radio operators. This site should reflect the idea that this is an open community. Can people take advantage of this? Yes they can - but then again I could go to a callsign lookup site, type in a common first name and get hundreds of valid callsigns along with full names and an address. Armed with this info, someone so inclined could then get a login to this site and post a bunch of noise.

No matter what you do, people so inclined will figure out a way around the system. If you do not like it - the only thing you can do to insulate yourself is to quit using this site. By the way, this is EXACTLY what the noisemakers want you to do. If you want to let them win that is your business. As for me, I plan to keep using this site. I will also continue to tell people seeking a license about this site so they can take practice tests.

The BEST thing you can do about noisemakers is to IGNORE THEM - but many people simply cannot do this. They post the crap they post to cause trouble. This whole thread encourages abusive activity, because it gives the unwanted users the feedback they desire! If they never see any threads like this one, they realise that all their efforts were for NOTHING and they go away.

-- James KF4OUI

No callsign.. no credibility.. Until such time as you people stop hiding behind your silly little nicknames, you get NO respect from me whatsoever.
    As far as I am concerned, your just another funny voice jackoff, or anonymous jammer. If you wanna have cutsie little names... go back to CB where you belong.

11. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

If you can't be man enough to stand behind your postings with a "legal" reference such as a callsign, or real name, then you don't belong on here posting your inflammatory postings to begin with. Those individuals post and run and enjoy the bantering afterwards. Kinds like the c**p that went on 14.313, 3.895 and other frequencies for years and years. I have seen plenty to get individuals banned from this site (i.e. name calling, inflammatory bashings, off color remarks, threats, etc.). The reason you might not see them is the moderators usually remove the trash and take it out with the garbage. Thanks moderators! The bit about freedom of speech and all that BS is just that, BS!

I don't feel sorry for individuals that whine about a website's position such as this, anymore then I feel sorry for those lids that make stupid comments on top of QSO's, etc. without ID-ing and get busted by the FCC down the road.  

I think the populous has spoken.  You want to hide behind a bogus name, then you really belong on another board or chatroom somewhere, or better yet, on channel 19.  

As to the comments made on 20/75 meters, that doesnt' hold water with me.  Any comments or whinings are probably from the same impotent and dysfunctional individuals that can't hide on here.  Ask for some cheese with that whine and make a sandwich.  I doubt there is much of a following.

Thanks Fred/Glen for sticking to your standards and setting a standard here that will more likely improve the quality and responses to postings seen on here in the future!
    [​IMG]

12. AG4PM

[​IMG]3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w6dce @ May 29 2002,16[​IMG]3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...it is time to get a new hobby...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In case you haven't noticed, many of us are finding a new hobby.

13. AG4PM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w6dce @ May 29 2002,16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you wanna have cutsie little names... go back to CB where you belong.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not all of us have our entire identity tied up in three to five letters and a number.  If we choose to have 'cutsie little names' it is most likely because losers whose whole life is ham radio make us a little embarrassed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w6dce @ May 29 2002,16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    I obviously am a very outspoken individual, but as you will notice, I place MY callsign out there and if you were to go look it up you would find that my info is there and it isn't some silly PO box.  

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oooooohhhh....how brave and bold of you!  How *can* the rest of us stack up?  Please take a moment and get over yourself......

14. AG4PM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W0BKR @ May 31 2002,16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you can't be man enough to stand behind your postings with a "legal" reference such as a callsign, or real name,  then you don't belong on here posting your inflammatory postings to begin with.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Again, someone who equates posting a callsign with being a man.  I hate to break it to ya' but there is much more to being a man than being willing to post callsigns.  If your manhood is wrapped up in your callsign, I feel sorry for you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W0BKR @ May 31 2002,16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    The bit about freedom of speech and all that BS is just that, BS![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Spoken like a true constitutional scholar.  Whatsa matter, everything you cannot comprehend becomes BS?  What a way to go through life........

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W0BKR @ May 31 2002,16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    I think the populous has spoken.  You want to hide behind a bogus name, then you really belong on another board or chatroom somewhere, or better yet, on channel 19. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Perhaps you meant populace?  I think that trying to make something fait accompli and declaring that 'The People Have Spoken' in order to end the discussion is rather presumptious on your part.  However, if indeed the populous (sic) has spoken, the rest of us will take our anononymity elsewhere and leave QRZ.com to the ranters and code zealots.  You guys have fun!

Ask for some cheese with that whine and make a sandwich.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Are you able to speak in anything other than tired cliches?

Thanks Fred/Glen for sticking to your standards and setting a standard here that will more likely improve the quality and responses to postings seen on here in the future![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Now we are back to the standards stuff.  I should have known right here what sort of posting this was.  The same type who didn't want SSB, Codeless Tech, 'Extra-Lite', etc.  The old 'stay out of my hobby if you don't want to go by my ancient standards, why is everyone leaving ham radio' argument.  You have nothing that substantiates your claim of improved quality with eliminating anonymous posting.  It is your opinion and that's it.  And stating your opinion in a belligerent, aggressive manner does not make it any more valid, just more obnoxious.

15. KG8XG

KG8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but it now sounds to me that the whole subject was brought up to justify subscription fees for QRZ.  I hope this is not the case as it would be quite a disapointment.  

The appearance is that you have turned a non-issue that has existed for years into a tremendous problem that can only be effectively deal with by charging subscription fees.

Do what you feel you need to but do it up front and honestly.  

John - KG8XG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.