AMSAT's Fox-1Cliff Satellite Launched, Initial Telemetry Received

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8HM, Dec 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I may do so, but it doesn't stimulate the effort much if AMSAT is unwilling to become more publicly transparent with finances to demonstrate the need and attract similar offers from others.

Stop hiding behind a nebulous NDA. Explain it here. Or quit soliciting donations from the general public for secret allegedly shared missions.

I'll make it easier. AMSAT is a non-profit membership. The NDA certainly doesn't cover its organizational financial data. What was the dollar status of the General Fund before Fox1-Cliff expenses, and what is it now. It's certainly a fair question to ask to publish how much is needed to "refill the coffers".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, those are fair questions.

Here's where you go to get the information:

AMSAT
    10605 Concord St, #304
    Kensington, MD 20895-2526 USA
    Toll-Free: +1 (888) 322-6728
    Phone: +1 (301) 822-4376
    Fax: +1 (301) 822-4371
    info@amsat.org

WE4B likes this.
  3. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Since satellites go into space, there are ALL KINDS of national and international rules and regulations that cover what goes on with satellite activity... what can be done, who partnerships and cooperative efforts can be formed with and most of all... what may be PUBLICLY DISCLOSED. There are even some satellite keplerian elements for tracking an AMSAT bird that must be acquired only from particular servers simply because the satellite was co-launched with a military based satellite and the information falls under restriction guidelines... Yes, in some cases Keps info to track an amateur satellite is RESTRICTED information per government regulations.

Just because AMSAT is not a typical 'customer' does not mean it is free to discuss any/all details of it's operations. And no, not all of it is restricted by regs, but simply put... not a lot of multi-billion dollar space companies will take kindly to cooperating with (and helping out) a group of hobbyists that will blab what may be (to them) highly sensitive financial information in public forums at the drop of a hat. In this day and time, this might seem to some like it smacks of conspiracy, cover up or some other nefarious intent by power hungry individuals anxious to do what they want with donated money. Nothing could be further from the truth... These guys (both of the prominent posters so far) are AMSAT board members and are properly carrying out their fiduciary responsibilities to keep this information confidential. I can assure you that if they did NOT, they'd be voted off the board quicker than you can ask, 'Was that a rocket blasting off?'

https://www.amsat.org/amsat-officers-and-board-members/

Truth is, I'm sure they would PREFER to openly give you all the data you ask... they can't. It's that simple. They are board members... so defending themselves on this matter might only be interpreted as more 'cover up' which is why they keep politely directing you to contact AMSAT through some non-public manner. I am not a board member... and I've not had enough sleep, so my judgement might be slightly impaired, but I felt like I might jump in here and give them an attaboy while asking you to give what I've said some consideration. These guys do what they do for the love of the hobby... I, for one, support them.

And while I may not be a 'substantial' donor, I am proud to have a Fox Challenge coin here on my desk that I received as a thank you during a Fox launch funds donation drive. And if memory serves... it was to pay for this VERY launch of Fox-1Cliff... an investment well made. :)

mail was good today.JPG
    (Sorry, only picture I could find on a moment's notice and I just got the dinner call... the coin was mailed along with some QSLs for new grids... good mail day.)

73 & all the best...

Kevin N4UFO

WE4B likes this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

Explain a NDA? Here you go:

A non-disclosure agreement (NDA), also known as a confidentiality agreement (CA), confidential disclosure agreement (CDA), proprietary information agreement (PIA) or secrecy agreement (SA), is a legal contract between at least two parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to or by third parties.

Now that an NDA has been explained, AMSAT-NA, feel free to start soliciting donations from the amateur community. I wish I could afford to give more, but I can't right now but am proud to be a member and to have a child as a member. There's a good chance a second child may soon be a ham and a member. Even though I'm not in a position to donate any more monies right now, I and my child can and will be cheerleaders for AMSAT-NA. Thank you for keeping amateur radio in space for us to enjoy on a daily basis!

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fanatical responses, irrelevant to the fair questions, just make AMSAT support and membership look like cultism; astro-Scientologists blindly worshiping their org. :(

AG5DB likes this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

Trust me, I hardly worship AMSAT. You were given answers to your questions. It was explained to you that there were NDAs in place yet you want to keep trying to create controversy by making it seem like there is some kind of conspiracy. I've told you before and I'll tell you again, if you don't like how AMSAT-NA operates, become a paid member and vote for who you would like for leadership. Attend symposiums, network with fellow members, offer to be an AMSAT Ambassador. Become a part of the AMSAT community rather than an outsider accusing the organization of misusing monies.

My 12 year-old daughter made a contact with a board member (W5PFG) this evening using an AMSAT-NA satellite. This contact would NOT have been possible without AMSAT-NA's volunteers working to keep amateur radio in space. About 45 minutes before my daughter's QSOs with several stations via AO-92, I used the digipeater aboard the ISS to make digital contacts. Yep, I'm a cheerleader for AMSAT-NA. You may ask why. I'll tell you why. The time that I get to spend with my daughter operating via satellites is precious to me. It's time that can never be replaced or duplicated and it has taught her so much about science and will impact her future. She may never be a rocket scientist, but it has/will affect her future life.

I'll continue to be a member of AMSAT-NA as will my daughter and we will continue to be cheerleaders for the organization as it currently fits our needs as radio amateurs. AMSAT-NA keeps amateur radio in space with satellites that allow communication between other amateurs, not just satellites in the amateur bands with CW beacons.

@W0PV why do you think AMSAT-NA is squandering donations? Why would you imply this? I've never heard you on a satellite and my daughter and I are typically on the birds every day. I would love to hear the back story of why you seem so obsessed with what AMSAT-NA is paying for a satellite launch.

7. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I'm Methodist, but I would suggest that you not take jabs at the religion of anyone else. I think Matthew 7:1 said it best, "judge not lest ye be judged".

8. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the AMSAT Journal, there's been a fundraising ad on the inside last page for quite a while asking for $125,000 for the launch of FOX-1C and FOX-1D. I'm not sure exactly what that covers, but it's at least a number.

W0PV and AG5DB like this.
  9. N4UFO

Oh, whatever... go pick a fight somewhere else. I'm not interested.

10. N4UFO

For anyone interested... yes, it was Fox-1C (later named Fox-1Cliff). https://www.amsat.org/new-premium-for-amsat-fox-donations/

A really good campaign... they offered challenge coins and solar panel covers used on the ACTUAL bird now in orbit! I'm glad I was able to contribute and am proud to display my coin. SAY! I should remember to pack it in my rover bag for any show and tell that might happen while out roving. Good way to make interesting conversation. You know... something more sane sounding than being asked, "Why you keep saying 'UFO'? You tryin' to talk to aliens or sumthing???" :eek::D:cool:

WD9EWK and W5PFG like this.