ad: LZQSLprint-1

AMBER ALERTs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0VH, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

A plan is now in effect in many states that will issue "Amber Alerts" when a child is reported missing or abducted. This system is activated via state authorities using the EAS (Emergency Alert System) equipment that TV and Radio broadcasting stations have as part of the system that replaced the old EBS that was to be activated as part of local or national emergencies. What a great idea! I am wondering if it would be possible to have some sort of Amateur radio participation, especially on the 2 meter and 440 mhz repeater bands when an alert of this sort goes out. As Amateurs, we are usually highly mobile and out and about and could be of great public assistance by disemmination of these alerts to a bunch of folks who can be on the lookout for vehicles, perpetrators and the children who match the descriptions when these alerts are activated. Maybe we could even take this a step further by implementing some sort of decoding reciever into primary coverage and usage repeaters. Of course, there are recievers built that broadcast stations use for the EBS that can be programmed for certain alerts, be it severe weather, different emergencies covering certain counties, or a statewide Amber Alert, that can be inserted into audio lines. At the very least, lets all be aware of the system and when an alert is broadcast, keep our eyes open, microphones ready, and be ready to put forth this extremely worthwhile service to the community. Who knows, it might help save a childs life someday. As a father, this is something that I think about daily, even several or more times.

For more information check out this site.

http://www.missingkids.com/html/amberplan.html

Whats more important than the kids?
    73' de KE0VH

2. W3ZR

W3ZR QRZ Lifetime Member #324 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree wholeheartedly.

Cutting through the Gov't B.S. and interfacing EAS
    is a great Idea for Amber Alerts and all the other
    types of alerts EAS is used for.

73, Bob K3BM

3. KG4TUC

KG4TUC Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 100% we need this system all over.
    I work at children's Hospital in Alabama and if a child should come up missing here we have a plan. I feel this plan should reach out to the public in different levels and stages.
    73es Jay KG4TUC

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree, and when they get caught they should get hung, quartered then shot

5. AA4PC

AA4PC Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to Jack, KE0VH for a fine idea and a well worded message!

We should all take KE0VH's post and read it at our club meetings, ask the repeater trustee(s) to move toward linking the Amateur systems with the Emergency Alert System.

It's a good way to make use of a resource that is being ignored by the mainstream in our country.

John Mood
    W4HTX

6. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think anyone can complain about a system that would help us find and possibly recover missing children.  It may be one of the most noble things we could do.  This is basically a very good concept.  Before implementing any such "official" plan, we should be aware of the implications.  

I see some possibilities for abuse of such a system, though.  First I can envision a bunch of HT-carrying hams running around getting in the way of authorities and reporting knee-jerk impressions.  Hopefully that wouldn't happen, but then we, as hams, are just people, and as such, we are very diverse in our thoughts and our actions.  

Secondly, linking us directly with a government or commercial broadcast site, by putting a link into a repeater, (for example) tends to lend a sense of "authority" to our operation that belies our status as "amateurs."  Which we are.  Mobilizing ourselves in any other mode than that of "citizen John Q" without notice to local authorities may jepordize our standing in the community.   See below.

Having said that, the concept is pretty good.  It just needs ironing out to avoid any touch of illegality or any idea that it makes us "instant cops."  

It may could be that, instead of rebroadcasting any Amber Alert message on a repeater, the alert could consist of simply a tone transmitted over the repeater, only briefly (ten seconds or so, perhaps transmitted three times over a five minute interval.)  Anything that alerts hams to the fact a child is missing, but does not risk rebroadcasting commercial or police information via amateur radio.  

Following that alert, amateurs who have participated in some form of Amber Alert training would go into action, keeping in mind, just as in SAR operations, they ARE amateurs, and coordinating fully with formal searches.  I think it would be important to have training, perhaps provided by local police, just as in Neighborhood Watch programs.  With such training, my first item above of doubt would be removed, as these hams would no longer be "just out there," but would be working with the approval of, and assistance to/from, local authorities.   This training would be not only to protect ourselves from liability, as certainly there are hams who would be ready and willing to overstep their bounds, but to protect the police tactics, and, most importantly, protect the child.  Having amateurs doing professional work can be a real hazard to all concerned, hence the need for some sort of formal training.  

(Unfortunately, I see, too, another cry from some for hams to be able to directly contact police on the police frequencies.  That has been mentioned on other forums a few times by those not knowledgeable about either ham radio or the police operations.  I hope it doesn't come up here, as it invalidates the entire notion.   And I hope I'm not putting words into someone's thoughts!  )

We also tend to believe we hams are of a class of people who are honorable.  But we are people.  That is another reason some form of training would be necessary, and probably, some background checks.  There is little assurance that a man with a ham license would not find a lost child, play savior, get her into his car, and turn a simple lost child case into a rape/murder case.  Any formal organization participating in this as hams definitely needs to be taken through police records checks at the bare minimum.

There is nothing in the law to prevent us from keeping our eyes open.  What matters is that we don't go speeding around in cars, chasing suspects, causing kidnappers to possibly harm their victim, and getting in the way of police - or even transmitting information that may be picked up by a scanner.   While that same scanner can also pick up police calls, if you or I give away, via radio, information that may lead to the death of the kidnapped child, there would be an immense liability.

The idea of the Amber Alert is to get action quickly, by the public, and we, as hams, are part of the public.  We sometimes forget that, and think we are more than just another John Q and Susie P, just because we have a radio.  Give us an HT and an emergency, and we become Walter Mitty.  (OK, you have to be an old timer in life to know about Mitty)

As an aside, almost 100 percent of the Amber Alerts broadcast in our area since the program started back in the spring, have been mistakes.  One was a faked kidnapping to cover an intended bank robbery, (no child at all was involved) and another was a child who simply went for a hike and was in no danger at all - he just forgot to come home on time.  Others have been similar.  This marshalls a lot of forces for a lot of money, for mistakes or hoaxes.  Yet there is no way around that; it has to be done.  

All in all, a very good idea.  Summarizing, a simple alert tone on area repeaters (no rebroadcasting of the data) allows us to call authorities, or perhaps check into a website, identify our group, obtain the details, announce we are going into operation, and to do so with the assurance we won't make matters worse.  And with the cooperation of local authorities.  Once the information on the child has been obtained by one ham, that ham can then put it onto the repeater, avoiding any rebroadcast.   There may be other ways to get the information into our hands quickly.  Delays in obtaining the information can be cut to a minimum, with the right procedures.  

Put it to work.

Ed

7. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed, W5HTW

I believe that Amateurs will behave with the protocol and decorum needed. Especially if repeater groups participate. The WHOLE IDEA is to alert the public to be on the lookout. That is specifically stated. The real thing to think about is whether or not EAS gear could be interfaced in the correct manner to a repeater, and if the FCC has any particular rules partaining to the idea. I will also do some research on this.

73' de KE0VH

8. AL4ST

AL4ST Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the concept here is a wonderful idea. I would love to see it implemented in my area. However, I do agree with Ed W5HTW, we as amateurs need all the "kinks" worked out first. Oftentime, the perpertrator in crimes of this nature are sick, psychotic individuals that are capable of commiting violent crimes. I am of the opinion we should stick to passing information as quickly and as efficiently as possible leaving police work to the police. One small slip up and a judge can throw a case out of court and let some bast--d go free. Don't anyone get me wrong....I like the idea overall, let's just use our heads first.

9. kd7nqb

kd7nqb Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok I like it I think it would work really well but to help this I think that certain hams should be placed on the SAR teams that go out for missing hikers and stuff like that I am intrested in SAR but have been told they have an abundance of volenters as it is so If I had something they wanted mabye it would help me and them.

10. N9KPN

N9KPN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate so no flames please.  But instead of incorporating this on the repeater, why not contact your local radio stations and have THEM issue the alert?  Do realize that there are just over half a million hams in the entire country.  Wouldn't it make more sense to have the News, Talk, AND Music stations broadcast these alerts?  Thus MILLIONS of commercial listeners would be involved.  Instead of Ham radios they could use their CELL PHONES.  Thus instead of a fraction of hams (not everyone listens to a repeater) getting the alert, THOUSANDS if not HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of listeners would be involved.

11. KB2SSA

KB2SSA Ham Member QRZ Page

HAMS ARE NOT COPS!!!! WE HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHTS!!!! WE ARE NOT A SECOND POLICE FORCE!!!

Our job as hams is to act like responsible citizens. This means just be a citzen. Forget you are a ham, that comes second. If the amber alert went out in your community would it not be more effective to simply follow the direction on the EAS system and head to the organizing location to conduct a search rather than wasting 45 minutes rustling up the local reapeater jockeys before you start doing anything. Sometimes we as hams forget that less is more.

If the cell phone works, use it. Leave the radio in the car. The radio is there during an emergency as a last means of communication. It is the backup to what is still up and running.

Maybe some of you need to take the Emergency Communications Class

This brings me to another point: Why do some hams think it is necessary to talk to the ham down the street over a repeater which is 20 miles away?

12. W1XBS

W1XBS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sensabmc @ July 30 2002,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HAMS ARE NOT COPS!!!! WE HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHTS!!!! WE ARE NOT A SECOND POLICE FORCE!!!

Our job as hams is to act like responsible citizens. This means just be a citzen. Forget you are a ham, that comes second. If the amber alert went out in your community would it not be more effective to simply follow the direction on the EAS system and head to the organizing location to conduct a search rather than wasting 45 minutes rustling up the local reapeater jockeys before you start doing anything. Sometimes we as hams forget that less is more.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Some of the point was missed there....

Many (most?? ALL??) hams who have their V/UHF radios on, do NOT have their FM and TV sets on.

This would be yet another media outlet to get the word out. If I'm busy listening to the unemployed drunks on my local repeater, I'm not listening to my approved media outlets.

Hams by nature are also fairly mobile. If I hear an alert come over my 2M repeater, I'm going to keep my eyes open for the rest of my commute! If I was chatting with Lidman about the latest Lidmaster 2000 radio, I mighta missed the whole thing and the abductor *might* have driven right by me!

13. W1XBS

W1XBS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n6mai @ July 30 2002,17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">EAS decoders are not cheap, though. We'd be looking at $2-3K for a good unit that would allow you to configure for particular areas of signal/station coverage, as well as the types of alerts to activate on.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, not cheap at all, however food for thought....

Many repeaters are co-located with TV/Radio stations. Get friendly with the Chief Engineer and "borrow" a contact closure. Its only one piece of wire at that point. Might get him off his butt too.

One repeater group could then distribute this signal by whatever means, UHF linking, paging tone, you name it.

14. N7BJB

N7BJB Ham Member QRZ Page

EAS amber alert sounds like a very good thing. However, that does not mean all hams should immediately jump on the bandwagon. Hams that wish to participate in a search - other than just keeping their eyes open like all good citizens should - should join their local RACES or ARES. These groups will be activated by the local Emergency Manager if ham help is needed. Otherwise, just go about your normal business and stay out of the way of the official personnel who are working the case. As far as an alert system on the repeaters, that should also be handled by local authorities. People, remember we are amateurs, not cops. Be there if needed and called, otherwise stay out of the way.
    If you don't have a local RACES or ARES, talk to your club about forming one, then talk to your local Emergency Manager who is a city or county official. Most of them will be pleased to work with you on integrating hams into their system (note that RACES is a function of Emergency Management, not a club function; ARES is a function of the ARRL. Either one can help you set up.).

15. WB9GKZ

WB9GKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What a bunch of crap.....bad idea.

If we instituted the death penalty for first-time sex offenders....instead of letting them return to the streets to ravage our children again and again....we would have no need for this type of inane "feel good" solution.

Pat WB9GKZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.