ad: cq2k-1

Amazon will require proof of FCC certification for radios that are being sold

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Feb 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

How about solar panels and solar charge controllers too?

WQ4G likes this.
  2. N2KA

N2KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ria ,
    Nice presentation. Been a ham going on 60 years (yikes, how'd that happen?!!) Been through a lot of changes in Amateur Radio with respect to the technology and its participants. There were always concerns with the illegal use of the Amateur frequencies, by unlicensed and under licensed individuals. Somehow, we seemed to get through it, partially through self policing and whatever governmental enforcement that was available.
    I was always concerned with ham radio dealers selling gear without requiring any proof that the purchaser was legally allowed to purchase and moreover use this equipment. From my perspective, it appears the majority of dealers have done a pretty good job in this area. Asking for call signs, may have deterred a few as we're sure dealers didn't check you were W2 so and so. Several years ago I noticed that some non amateur radio retailers were selling gear that could be used in the amateur bands, without apparently requiring proof that you were licensed to use. This was even before the advent of Amazon's popularity.
    Owing to recent events, specifically extremist viewpoints and actions on all regions of the political spectrum, I do see Amazon's decision to require sellers to show FCC type acceptance, to be a favorable thing. The only matter that concerns me is whether they will self police or check the veracity of sellers' claims of their gear being FCC Type Accepted. Will they be able to do this on a cost and time effective basis or will the almighty dollar reign supreme?
    It's interesting to note that there has been a change in the CEO of Amazon and whether Bezos' changing role is mere window dressing? In addition, with the new administration in Washington being concerned with possible violent outbreaks from any part of the political scene, they may be concerned with the ease of communication and coordination between different groups. We all know social media could be shut down (it happens in certain parts of the world) as well as with individuals being "shut down" here. Illegal use of two way radio gear could be a way around other restrictions. As hams, if we hear something that doesn't seem right, we say something.
    Keep up the good work.
    Art., N2KA..

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Please keep political discussions out of this.

This is the "Amateur Radio News" forum - not the political discussion forum.

Political comments will be removed and that user may find themselves no longer able to post in the thread as a result

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

KJ7OTM, KE0GXN and NY4I like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a reminder--

This isn't about 'showing a ham license to buy a radio'. That's not what Amazon is saying.

Amazon is saying the vendors have to show (actually assert) that the radios are FCC cert.

Big diff!

:)

K2NCC likes this.
  5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Couldn't Amazon face forfeitures if they continued to offer for sale non-certificated items that require it? I don't think it has anything to do with (whatever) end use but simply a matter of avoiding government fines. Few businesses like to pay fines of any sort. Not only does it hit the bottom line but it is also bad press.

6. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hey Ria, thanks for making this and putting it up here. I wasn't aware of this.

7. N2EHG

N2EHG Ham Member QRZ Page

i always thought it was illegal for a business entity to not sell you a rig w/o a license ...dunno but it was brought up as such in the past news articles .

8. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

They didn't ask for a license when I ordered that 30 lb cylinder of r134a refrigerant. They said they would but it never came up.

Thank you for the summary and not just posting a video.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  9. N7MLV

N7MLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just basic capitalism for me. Don't care where I get the equipment. Same with any retailer, cost is king. If Amazon restricts them then up pops Alibaba, or Walmart/ or any internet retailer who would love their business. You can't blame the seller. Got a china made FM transmitter that measures at 6 watts on high from Amazon. Yeah you bet they don't care about FCC. Genie is out of the bottle already. Better for real Hams to locate illegal folks. Sounds like a contest to me.

10. KF2ZZ

KF2ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see...

How is the FCC going to enforce license verification on amateur transmitter sales?
    Only Amazon? What about eBay?

It's laughable. :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    KJ7OTM likes this.
  11. W2BDN

W2BDN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Preppers love those BaoFengs because they are wide open. They hate any restrictions

12. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur radio equipment doesn't require 'type acceptance' under FCC requlations. It is the licensed amateir operator who is responsible for legsl operation, not the manufacturer. THAT is why you have a license.

WA7NTL and N3FAA like this.
  13. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no such thing as a "Part 97 radio". A radio like the Yaesu FT-60 is certified by the FCC under Part 15 only, as a scanning receiver. The fact that it also contains a transmitter which is capable of Part 97 operation doesn't enter into its certification, since there is no certification available for transmitters under Part 97.

N0TZU likes this.
  14. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some Baofeng models were certified (the modern term for the old "type acceptance" under Part 90, but I don't believe the UV-5R ever was. I know mine has no FCC sticker at all. And it doesn't meet FCC certification requirements for Part 90, because frequency can be set via front panel controls.

15. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

That'll do it! Nobody will ever surf other retailers who don't require any paperwork of verification. It will stop the purchase of these and their abuse dead in their tracks! Nobody has enough moxy to go shop anywhere but one gigantic shopping aggregate.