ad: MyersEng-1

Amazon will require proof of FCC certification for radios that are being sold

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Feb 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazon is going to require all sellers of radio frequency devices to input either an FCC ID, or proof that a device complies with FCC rules. I explain how this may affect us.

KI4IES, AC7DD, N9CM and 23 others like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huzzah! Huzzah!

N6DBN and AK4AM like this.
  3. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

Will they then lower their prices on radios to match the ham stores? Cheap Baofengs notwithstanding.

N4FZ likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Ria.

From the description it sounds like Amazon also intends to apply this policy to any device using RF energy including incidental radiators - i.e., Part 15 devices. This is potentially more important to us than Baofengs, if it works, as it would reduce the number of RF noisy cheap consumer devices sold.

But before we get too excited, this may be just a CYA move by Amazon, and they won’t bother to check the validity of a purported FCC certification. As long as the seller files the paperwork saying the device has it, then AMZN might feel it’s off the hook and the device would be allowed for sale.

AC7DD, KF6OZ, K2NED and 11 others like this.
  5. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^^^ What he said

What about the non-UL accepted junk they sell? Hopefully that will be next. But again, it will be a CYA move for Amazon.

I wonder how many millions/billions Bezos has made by selling non certified, illegal, and counterfeit equipment through Amazon?

K8CGS, K4EIA, N0TZU and 4 others like this.
  6. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video.

This might cut down the sales of certain non-FCC type accepted "10 meter" radios currently being offered on Amazon. ;)

K2WH, W0BTU, KA2FIR and 5 others like this.
  7. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad that Amazon doesn't require proof of a Part 97 license before accepting an order for a Part 97 radio. No telling how many thousands (tens of thousands?) of 2m/440 Baofengs are in the hands of unlicensed persons who bought them from Amazon or Woot. I wonder if that's related to the rather strange FCC and ARRL press releases last month.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    WD4ET, AE8F, N3EDO and 5 others like this.
  8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I know the FCC does not require proof of a license to purchase a radio that can be used under the provisions of Part 97. It's the use without the proper license that would be a violation. Would appreciate a link to Part 97 that might indicate otherwise.

W4MIB, N0TZU, WA6TWJ and 4 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

About time!

The issue has been illegal use, or intent to use, by self-proclaimed militia, and so on, in the U.S. That is why this is happening now, rather than, say, 2 years ago.

These are not licensed hams. They are not fisherman or taxi drivers.

If its not type accepted ('cert') then it can be used way outside amateur bands. This should not be allowed.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    AA5BK, AE8F, KA1YBS and 12 others like this.
  11. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazon is not even close to being the sole source of these radios.

KA2FIR likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..but they are the gorilla on the block. If cert is required by AMAZON, then it is more likely the manu's will comply across the board. Or, they will be stopped from entry into the U.S.

13. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

If I am well-informed, it has always been illegal to sell "intentional transmitters" without FCC ID in the USA. Right? So if Amazon has only just begun to enforce this, they have been illegally reselling these radios.

K4XJ, KA2FIR and K9GLS like this.
  14. KB2UEW

KB2UEW Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks FCC terrific Idea little late copy or proof goooooood job FCC

15. W7IVK

W7IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

Too little, too late. china-boi radios already flood the market. Whatever... The chinese have their own online commerce sites such as Wish, Banggood, Alibaba, Taobao, ETC....
    This is a nothingburger... I bought a pair of Baofeng 888's at Big Lots for $15.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/30-at-big-lots.722293/

WB4YAL and NK8I like this.