ad: cq2k-1

AmateurLogic Shorts 4: Unboxing the Icom AH-705 Compact Auto Tuner, one screw at a time.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Apr 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a huge fan of the ldg z100plus for my 891. I have one for my 857 too.

The problem for me is weight. My total set-up is 15 pounds for 100 watts. If I am going to bother with qrp, then I want it to be lighter weight. I backpack regularly with my radio.

ATU Weights:

-MAT-705Plus ($229, 10 ounces)

-ICOM AH-705 ($349, 15.8 ounces)

-Elecraft T1-ATU ($239, 5 ounces).

-LDG-Z100Plus (22 ounces with 8 AA batteries)

So, I think the real answer for a lightweight backpacking ssb rig remains the kx2.

Note though, I have no regrets about the 705. It is a wicked cool radio. It just isn't necessarily as backpacker friendly as it could have been.

Mindy

AJ6KZ likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can easily put it in the outdoor wiring box like this

HTB1WgcEJVXXXXbXaXXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg

But tell me honestly, when was the last time you made QSO outdoor in the pouring rain that got you and the radio wet?

W9HJ, AJ6KZ, M7BLC and 1 other person like this.
  3. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

All in all the specs don't look as good as the Elecraft T-1, but I suppose the allure of this is that it integrates with the IC-705. The volume of the AH-705 is fives times that of the T-1, it requires 5 watts to tune vs. 2.5 for the T-1 and it weighs nearly a pound whereas the T-1 weighs 5 oz. + 1.6 oz. for the internal 9v battery.

4. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a lot easier to carry a lightweight tarp than it is heavy ruggedised radio gear. I suspect the 705 is like the 4x4s people drive around in towns in, they go into the country once a year and when they get there they hate it.

AJ6KZ and US7IGN like this.
  5. US7IGN

or umbrella ) http://www.us7ign.com/?p=1758

[​IMG]

M0TTQ, AJ6KZ and KM1NDY like this.
  6. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

M7BLC- What is the model of your ATU? thnx, Eric

7. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many different vendors with versions of this and you make your choice and pays your money at your own risk :) . Mine came with too much surplus flux across the trackways on the circuit board and would not function until I pulled it apart and cleaned it off (hey were Hams and enjoy tinkering and it really is simple.) but once done it performs faultlessly . The pdf gives you a good idea of the specs and it is so small and light it's ideal for field use - and a small plastic food box suitably modified is enough waterproofing most of us will ever need :) .

Attached Files:

8. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Making your own miniature shirt pocket sized tuner that will handle up to 10 watts is probably one of the best ways to go light weight portable. My little "L" tuner tunes a 53 foot piece of wire 80 - 20 meters and probably beyond but my little QRP pocket rig only operates 80-20 meters so that's all I know the tuner will handle. Why would you need an AUTO tuner in the first place. It costs much more, weighs more and much more complex to troubleshoot. My little tuner tunes with a quick turn of the dial and then I'm done. It's probably about as fast as any AUTO tuner. Pictured is the tuner and the 4 band QRP frequency agile transceiver. All fit into my shirt pocket.
    [​IMG]

N6SPP, US7IGN, KM1NDY and 1 other person like this.
  9. N7TIN

N7TIN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I second the idea of a cheap plastic food storage box.

For the average portable op one does not have to do anything more than invert the storage box or similar over the desktop tuner at the operating position. The same type of box with snap-on lid can work for masthead mounting too. Just arrange the container as an umbrella rather than a sealed enclosure. Leave the botttom open for cable egress.

M0TTQ likes this.
  10. US7IGN

Radio amateurs have become consumers. They do not understand how a radio or tuner works and are unable to tune the tuner even with instructions. Many boast that they are well versed in the settings of cunning programs, but where and why is there a radio? ...

However, I have had a kit for assembling an automatic tuner similar to T1 for a long time, but I just don't need it.

Attached Files:

2E0HVK, WN1MB and AJ6KZ like this.
  11. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Now there you go making me feel bad that I know diddly-squat about electronics and have neither the time left or inclination to do something about it. My licence excludes me from building my own transceiver - not that I could or would - so being a consumer is my only choice, as it will be for most newbies. I know it is hard for the more technically competent Hams to accept but lifestyle and legislation will continue to force consumer appliances on us. I can strip and put a classic car back together but am not allowed to service my daily driver. Times change.

12. US7IGN

But I am not. Therefore, I do not have a special education (yes, I am an ordinary lawyer) and starting from a very simple one repair, I move further and further and from modern technology to the classics. Glow tubes waits for me ) This is what I like. But you can like another things. And this is the advantage of radio as a hobby. Someone likes to solder, while others like to communicate with friends in a repeater.

I didn’t say that it’s bad not to be able to solder and not read circuits, but being a good operator and being able to control the radio perfectly is a must.

And every time I feel pity and surprise when people have been in this hobby for many years, but do not understand the purpose of some knobs on the radio and do not understand the principle of the tuner ...

AJ6KZ likes this.
  13. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. People get all lathered up about radios not being waterproof, but few can point out where they've operated in conditions that require it. The closest I've come, and I do a fair bit of outdoor and portable operating, is working in a cloud on a summit with mist condensing on everything and dripping like rain. I've also operated in light snow. Neither were problems for my radios. Anything more and I'm going to be in a shelter.

Everyone has different goals and interests. I'm a tinkerer, but one without a deep electronics background, so I'm less "hands on" than some hams, but more than others. That said, someone whose goal is communication may not care about what goes on under the hood. That's like a car owner who doesn't want to work on the car, just use it to get to their destination (that's not me, I do my own maintenance, repairs, and modifications).

The key in my mind is being supportive of folks with different goals and encourage them to stretch their abilities in a positive manner. Amateur radio is a gateway drug to a lot of different things, but none of which are more important than the other. We should help people on their path rather than tell them they're not real operators because they bought their radio and antenna (not what you're saying, just my comment).

Chris

AJ6KZ likes this.
  14. US7IGN

I separate the concepts of operator and user. And in the case of a car, the user of the car take a taxi, and the operator of the car (driver) must know and be able to do a lot more things.

15. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

That analogy falls apart with amateur radio. Except *maybe* VHF FM Simplex, there is no "user" mode analogous to your model. Everyone who is involved in Amateur Radio has to have *some* knowledge to get on the air and communicate effectively, even if it's just being able to turn the radio on, select the appropriate band, and tune to the correct frequency. A "user" in your model would be able to walk up to a radio, key the mic, and make contacts with no prior training or knowledge like people do in movies, which is not the case. I think we overplay how easy all this is due to our involvement, passion, and time.

Chris