ad: ProAudio-1

AmateurLogic Shorts 4: Unboxing the Icom AH-705 Compact Auto Tuner, one screw at a time.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Apr 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, assuming that you are able to put the same antenna up in the same location and have the same soil conditions every time. If you go to various locations and have to put the antenna up at different heights and in different configurations, then a tuner will do a much better job of matching things.

And hauling around 10 different lengths of wire (6 thru 80M) takes up a lot of room.

2. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Put links in. Problem solved. :)

AJ6KZ and WN1MB like this.
  3. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

(sorry everyone else for the side conversation, but the way the bands were, its the only way I get to talk to Rich! Haha!)

We couldn't get out to save ourselves up there. Weird propagation in the MA, VT, NY corner of the world best as I can tell! I just appreciate the chasers who let us get our 2 points! I can handle 2wpm...I'll find you one of these days.

Mindy

W1YW and N1RBD like this.
  4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do it! And there should be plenty of people out there who will go as QRS as you like. It's a hobby, after all. :)

N1RBD and KM1NDY like this.
  5. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I beg to differ. One wire will cover 10-40m. Then you only need one or two extra wires for 30 and 17m. As counterpoise, 5 to 8 m of thin wire will do on all bands. All of that thin wire can be wound around the small box containing the 1:49 unun if you add some flanges to it. So your entire all-band-no-tuner-antenna could fit in a space of 3 x 3 x 1 inch.

N1RBD likes this.
  6. SQ6WE

SQ6WE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes In my opinion also It would be more appropriate to fix the tuner in the main IC 705 body box. Come to Icom don't be loozy. You just get more profits by that. Don`t you.

7. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I run 20/30/40 on one wire with links. Works great and you only have to deal with throwing one wire into a tree.

WN1MB and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice tuner.
    Thanks ICOM for the addition to the great 705!

:):):)

9. N2GHR

N2GHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't buy Chinese its a copy and quality isn't there...

10. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The size and weight of this tuner continues to confirm my thoughts for the use case of the 705 radio.

It is best as a travel / RV / hotel radio. It is overpriced and heavier than most of its competitors in the SOTA realm. I'm not hating the radio. I own one but will never use it for backpacking probably.

KM1NDY and AJ6KZ like this.
  11. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

nice. I have been taking every piece of new equipment apart since I was 3. Its like a ritual... :eek::eek::eek:

WN1MB and AJ6KZ like this.
  12. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No worries.. The new "FT-867" should hit the market at some point..hi.. You know the one with the 100w PA, and all modes up through 440 etc.. ;)..Grab a small 100w outboard tuner, and ur all set.. 73,n6spp