ad: Alphaant-1

Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017 Quietly Killed Off

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Sep 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It tells you that the profound apathy is a result of the inherently geriatric miasma.

FULL Disclosure: I am geriatric. But not apathetic.

VE3EEI and AF7XT like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

PRB-1 certainly was -- and with ARRL's blessing and assistance! :)

It's interesting that the League encouraged hams in the several states to pursue PRB-1 legislation, even after PRB-1 itself was adopted by FCC, but they are making no state attempts for CC&R. That would seem to be the logical choice given the repeated rejection of CC&R rules by both FCC and the Congress over the last three decades.

AF6SA and W1YW like this.
  3. KK5JY

Well, if he wants to be a BOD member, then more power to him.

Personally, I really wish he wouldn't do that. The excellent white paper he wrote about ARPA wouldn't have been possible had he been a director at the time. It would have gotten him far more than censured (e.g., removed). In fact, if past League actions with respect to Board candidates is any indication, it's entirely possible that he will not be allowed on the final ballot. It has happened before in another division -- people removed for less-than-stellar statements they made about the League's actions in public/writing. Fred is far more polite and professional in what he says publicly, but the precedent has been set.

It's good that Fred is an independent voice today. He thinks he can bring positive change by diving into the fray, so I wish him all the best with that endeavor. I just don't think it's a helpful idea, for him or for us. But as an attorney, perhaps he can bring some perspective that some of the rest of us lack.

AF6SA likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Fred is also keen on more transparency on the ARRL board, so the dumb censure stuff won't happen.

Fred has been CLEARED for running. He will be having a friendly open forum with K1KI--the incumbent director-- at BOXBORO on Saturday afternoon.

BOTH Tom, K1KI, and Fred, K1VR, are great guys. This will be an issue-defined 'debate'.

No one is a 'good guy' vs 'bad guy' there.

But ARPA will be a huge matter of discussion.

KL7SB and AF6SA like this.
  5. KK5JY

I certainly hope you are right. He would definitely be my first pick of hams who could navigate the minefield of Newington politics successfully.
    I certainly hope so. :)

AF6SA and W1YW like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Clearly it tells you that, however, as the majority of hams are retirement age with the free time to enjoy this or any other hobby, I would expect that group in particular to be the most vocal if they/we had a real problem. Maybe we are use to exerting effort rather than displacing blame.

NK2U and W1YW like this.
  7. KK5JY

I haven't seen the majority of any subgroup of US AR licensees pushing for CC&R relief, except perhaps the ARRL BOD. I see more posts from CC&R hams who like their housing situation, and are happy to work within the restrictions in one way or another.

NK2U and ND6M like this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

But that doesn't fit the narrative of the haters who want to apply their view of the HOA world. I wish they would stop trying to "help"...

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a poll type thread about having towers that had questions specifically written towards generating HOA type complaints.

The last time I bothered to look at it, only about 11 - 12% of the replies cited HOA restrictions as a (not "the") reason they don't have a tower.

10. WU2M

WU2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an idea, let's just get on the air and have fun. Isn't that what we are supposed to be doing?

Just Sayin...............

VE3EEI, NK2U and W1YW like this.
  11. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you do what you've always done, you get what you've always got.

NK2U likes this.
  12. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The most wonderful country in the world with the MOST CORRUPT SYSTEM in place......greed, lobbyists........I won't live long enough to see it change.
    In spite of Washington D.C........GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!

13. NB2A

NB2A Ham Member QRZ Page

I live a town in Long Island New York that is taking me to court 9/7/18 for an antenna that I have a permit for about 25 years! it cost me thousands years back to get the permit and now this all over again. I am even an ARRL life member and do not expect any support from them either. So tell me how was this going stop abuse anyway even if passed? One of the other violations I am charged with criminally is having a fence with no permit either along with the antenna. We have gotten to the point of not only being able to secure our borders but we cannot even secure own properties!

K4XJ, KC2YMO and NK2U like this.
  14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Crazy stuff afraid to ask how much you pay in property taxes.

K4XJ, NK2U and ND6M like this.
  15. K7LRB

K7LRB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BINGO!!!!