ad: Mountaingoat-1

Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017 Quietly Killed Off

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Sep 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, you're partly correct: No one out-publishes the ARRL, no one!

Books, QST... Great.

Not good on the rest.

de NK2U

K4XJ and KF4ZKU like this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

They never asked me and they also didn't ask my neighbors so I wonder how the League, of which I am a member, can be so disingenuous as to say they represent the very people they claim to help.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. K1ZYM

K1ZYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do people even buy into these HOA crap and then bitch about it latter. Dont buy in them and find somewhere else in the first place. I do not want to have some body tell me what I can and cant do on the land I paid for so I dont buy into these HOAs

N5JEO, VE3EEI, K4XJ and 5 others like this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Where might we find the ERP limits of a ham license ?

WD8ED likes this.
  5. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

K5KNV likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

WD8ED likes this.
  7. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good riddance, IMHO. The bill as passed by the Senate would have allowed HOAs to kill ham radio in their communities. We need a new bill with strong protections for hams' operating rights.

VE3EEI, KK4NA, WD8ED and 1 other person like this.
  8. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's part of the general test. The limits you are allowed, by frequency range. Hence my point that most of us should be able to figure it out.

http://www.arrl.org/the-fcc-s-new-rf-exposure-regulations#table1

My attempt at education deleted.

--Shane
    KD6VXI

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  9. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

The only Part 97 bands that have true ERP limits are: 2200m, 630m, 60m and 4mm.

K4XJ, WD8ED, KK5JY and 3 others like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Opened your link and reviewed every line twice it's a little late here in the East so may have missed it but unable to find ERP in that document.
    Let's see if this will help out .....
    §97.313 Transmitter power standards. (a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications. (b) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 1.5 kW PEP.

You will find some restriction for different bands if you read the entire section and there is one reference to ERP having to do with 60 meters which has been amended in recent years.

The entire text here.
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2010-title47-vol5-part97.pdf

K4XJ, K2NCC and WA7PRC like this.
  11. AA4EZ

AA4EZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Use a compromised antenna and get on the air! Magnetic loop antennas work inside a house even. A 2meter/440 car antenna with a mag mount on a pizza pan will work great. YOU signed the agreement about no antennas when you moved in, don't bitch about it now! I have a small lot, so I also use a compromised antenna, both in how high it is and how I had to bend it around to fit my property. The national defense does not depend on HOA antenna restriction removal nor does disaster relief. Make the best with what you can use. Look in your ARRL Antenna book about small antennas, you do have an ARRL Antenna book don't you?

N5JEO, VE3EEI, K4XJ and 1 other person like this.
  12. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The requirement to conduct an RF exposure evaluation is described in FCC regulation §97.13. This regulation provides a table of all amateur radio bands with a transmitted power level in watts for each band (recreated below). The regulation states that an RF environmental evaluation must be performed if the station’s power into the antenna exceeds the table value for the band of operation. The power into the antenna is specified as peak envelope power (PEP).

If an evaluation is required, §97.13 states that it must be performed as prescribed by §1.1307(b), but for amateur radio stations the FCC Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) Bulletin 65 provides the best guidance for complying with §1.1307(b) evaluation methods. We will come back to OET Bulletin 65 and evaluation methods, but first let’s see whether or not an evaluation is required at all.

There ya go.

Yes all license classes have maximum exposure regulations.

--Shane
    KD6VXI

13. K3BR

K3BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Boo, hoo.

14. W5YZR

W5YZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to those who worked on it. It takes a lot of money and lobbyists to get anything through the Capitol. It is always about money.

15. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you review the complaints and who complains, it's not the hams living in HOAs doing it but rather the busybody folks who DON'T live in an HOA ranting about places they DON'T live. And calling where millions choose to live "crap".

WA7PRC likes this.