ad: TinyPaddle-1

Amateur Radio Marginalized by FCC on BPL Issue

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sportsters are way cool.

The XYL (KI6J) has a nice Sporty.

Handles better then my deuce..........

Off subject again....

W6NJ

2. K7JAZ

K7JAZ Guest

It may be off-topic, but this is election day and what's more American than Ham Radio, playing guitar and riding motorcycles?    [​IMG]

3. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

You got it Brother...

All the way.......

W6NJ

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a 1962 Fender Telecaster, and I sold my Harley and bought a Yamaha Roadstar Silverado, easier on gas and more reliable, BUT I key my Kenwood TS2000 up with the starter button from the Harley and the run-no run switch hidden under the table makes a good shut off for the ptt to hinder use when company comes over. i.e. some kid can't easily key up when I'm not looking. Looks like Dubya gets to stay a while longer. BPL, whats a BPL?.... just kidding sorry 73

5. KG6KKS

KG6KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

Michael Powell is expected to step down as chairman of the Federal Communications Commission after leading the agency to a series of deregulatory decisions that benefit the regional Bell telephone companies. President Bush's replacements for Powell and a Democratic commissioner who's term is up will ensure a continuing GOP majority, leading to further deregulation with a goal of bridging the digital divide more quickly.

Freed of an obligation to lease new fiber lines to rivals such as AT&T Corp. and MCI Corp., three of the four Bells — Verizon Communications Inc., BellSouth Corp. and SBC Communications Inc. — said last month they were accelerating plans to replace copper wires with speedy fiber-optic cables which can deliver high-speed Internet access to more homes, schools and businesses.

Just came out today 11-03-04

6. W4AMP

W4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are all the hams that applauded Riley Hollingsworth at all the hamfests? Does the FCC still give you the "warm and fuzzy" now that they have rammed BPL right down your throat?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you hadn't specified "Air America" I would have assumed that you were listening to National Public Radio, "coming to you in stereo with two left channels." I wonder how many courts will soon be hearing cases challenging government funding of NPR as illegal due to the clear political agenda therein.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe you are confusing a complaint with an observation.

That the ARRL had no impact on the outcome of the R&O was an observation based upon fact. If there was impact--other than the mentioning of the League in the proceedings-- then please point out what specific implementations can be directly traced to this.

Thanks for providing the number of contributors to the BPL Fund. If US radio amateurs felt they needed to 'fight' Access BPL, then it is an interesting question why far less than 1% of licensed US radio amateurs did so through contributions; comments; and so on.

Since when have hams been inhibited in expressing their views:)? (He says, as an example...)

Otherwise, I find many of your comments highly informed and valuable additions to our understanding of the issues. Thanks for sharing!

Chip N1IR

9. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting.  So, Powell does Bush's bidding (for the BPL industry), yet gets replaced?  Does that mean he's leaving the Commission altogether, or just stepping aside so Kathleen Abernathy can take over as Chairwoman?  Maybe the Commission's decision on fiber to the home exclusivity for the regionals really *got* the BPL boys.

Actually, I was under the impression that the Commissioners were supposed to be a mix from both parties.  Clinton, as I recall, appointed a Republican to fill a vacancy to retain political impartiality.

After reading Bob Woodward's "Plan of Attack", I thought the first Powell to leave on Bush's reelection would be his father.  But, why should I be surprised.

Lee
    W6EM

10. K0JS

K0JS Ham Member QRZ Page

Was I asleep? Did I miss the debut of NTIA part 2?

11. N3NL

N3NL Guest

Instead of complaining here, please write a short
    reasonable letter to your Congressman and Senators
    about the BPL problems.  Just one person writing is
    not going to do much, but lots of hams writing will
    start of get some attention at Congress.
    73,  Nickolaus E. Leggett, N3NL

12. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For Years the FCC has been trying to get our attention, but we aren't paying attention.  Way back in June of 2000 FCC'er Dale N. Hatfield (W0IFO) Chief, Office of Engineering and Technology made these  comments in a speech to AMRAD:

"I would urge you to continue shifting towards more  spectrally efficient communications techniques - especially digital techniques. Such a shift has a number of benefits:

"- First of all, it demonstrates to POLICYMAKERS and REGULATORS
    that you are good stewards of the public's airwaves even without
    direct economic incentives.

"- Second, by using what you have efficiently, it strengthens
    your case when you need to ask for additional spectrum.

"- Third, by allowing more users to access the available
    allocations simultaneously, it improves the amateur experience and
    ultimately increases the attractiveness of the service to new and
    old users alike."

Then a  couple of weeks later FCC Special Counsel for Amateur
    Radio Enforcement Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, made some
    chillingly similar comments in a public speech.

"Take nothing for granted. Bill Gates can't, and you can't either."

"You're at a crossroads now. An old Chinese philosopher (or my
      grandmother--I can never remember which!) said, "Be careful what
      you wish for. You may get it." Seize the moment, and make this
      your finest hour. Ham radio has been at a crossroads before and
      has thrived. Continue that tradition."

"Make sure that, on your watch, Amateur Radio never becomes
      obsolete."

From those two FCC speeches, it ought to be clear to all of us that
    Amateur Radio does *not* have a "free pass" to spectrum, not will our
    current allocations be "protected" when other applications come looking
    for a place to operate.

The handwriting is on the wall --- the FCC isn't much interested in what
    we used to do, but is intensely watching our current stewardship of the
    resources that are so highly coveted by other services.  Regretably I
    think we've been found, in Riley's words, "obsolete", and financing a
    rearguard legal and political maneuvering by Haynie and Imlay is pretty
    much pissing money down a rathole.

73,  de Hans, K0HB

13. Guest

Guest Guest

sounds like all of hf is gonna be one big cb radio someday, talk wherever you want say whatever you want but just don't get caught, not very promising. 73

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hans,

I've tried to convey these issues, but most people want to shoot the messenger.

The FCC sees this in a far more realistic way than the ham activists do. The FCC sees it the way the world sees it.

The fact is that there are many brilliant hams doing brilliant things, but they are not doing it as hams. The fact that we have not embraced digital HF--as I have mentioned--is pathological.

I am particularly alarmed at the stance the ARRL has taken: Its Spectrum Fund ("...More than just BPL!") defines us, IMO, as a spectrum entity rather than a telecommunications entity. That is a 100% incorrect , IMO.

The FCC doesn't hate ham radio. The FCC has nurtured ham radio. The problem is that the precocious child has stagnated for some time.

The BPL 'issue' is NOT a 'BPL' issue. It's a ham radio issue.

Chip N1IR

15. K0JS

K0JS Ham Member QRZ Page

Baloney! BPL does not want to use the HF spectrum, only to pollute it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.