ad: elecraft

Amateur Radio Marginalized by FCC on BPL Issue

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

==>FCC BPL REPORT AND ORDER STRESSES INTERFERENCE AVOIDANCE, RESOLUTION

The FCC this week released the full BPL Report and Order (R&O) in ET
    Docket 04-37 that it adopted just two weeks ago. While extolling the
    purported benefits of broadband over power line technology, the 81-page
    document also declares the FCC's intention to protect licensed services
    from harmful interference.

"We recognize that some radio operations in the bands being used for
    Access BPL, such as those of Amateur Radio licensees, may occur at
    distances sufficiently close to power lines as to make harmful
    interference a possibility," the FCC conceded in its R&O. "We believe that
    those situations can be addressed through interference avoidance
    techniques by the Access BPL provider such as frequency band selection,
    notching, or judicious device placement."

Notches would have to be at least 20 dB below applicable Part 15 limits on
    HF, 10 dB below on VHF. The FCC called the ability to alter a system's
    operation to notch out transmissions on specific frequencies where
    interference is occurring "a necessary feature for resolving interference
    without disrupting service to BPL subscribers."

In line with remarks made at the October 14 open meeting where the FCC
    adopted the R&O--then still in draft form--the FCC declined to reduce the
    Part 15 radiated emission limit for BPL systems. It maintained that
    emissions from BPL systems are very localized and at low enough levels to
    generally preclude harmful interference.

The FCC said it had no evidence before it that BPL operation would
    significantly contribute to generally raising background noise levels. At
    the same time, it seemed to put some of the onus on Amateur Radio
    licensees to take steps to avoid power-line interference--and, by
    inference, BPL interference--in advance.

"In addition, because power lines inherently can radiate significant noise
    emissions as noted by NTIA and ARRL, good engineering practice is to
    locate sensitive receiver antennas as far as practicable from power
    lines," the FCC said.

In a footnote, the FCC took pains to advise ARRL that in cases where its
    members experience RF noise, "such noise can often be avoided by carefully
    locating their antennas; in many instances an antenna relocation of only a
    relatively short distance can resolve noise interference."

BPL operators would be required to avoid certain bands, such as those used
    for life and safety communications by aeronautical mobile or US Coast
    Guard stations. The FCC R&O makes clear, however, that similar rules will
    not apply to the Amateur Service.

"We similarly do not find that Amateur Radio frequencies warrant the
    special protection afforded frequencies reserved for international
    aeronautical and maritime safety operations," the Commission said. "While
    we recognize that amateurs may on occasion assist in providing emergency
    communications," the FCC added. It described typical amateur operations as
    "routine communications and hobby activities."
    (emphasis added)

Although some cases of harmful interference may be possible from BPL
    emissions at levels up to Part 15 limits, the FCC said, "we agree with
    NTIA [National Telecommunications and Information Administration] that the
    benefits of Access BPL service warrant acceptance of a small and
    manageable degree of interference risk." The Commission reiterated in the
    R&O its belief that BPL's public benefits "are sufficiently important and
    significant so as to outweigh the limited potential for increased harmful
    interference that may arise."

Among other specific provisions, the FCC's new rules mandate certification
    of BPL equipment instead of the less-stringent verification, a public BPL
    database--something the BPL industry did not want--and mechanisms to deal
    swiftly with interference complaints. BPL systems will have to incorporate
    the ability to modify operation and performance "to mitigate or avoid
    potential harmful interference" and to deactivate problematic units, the
    R&O says.

Further, the new rules spell out the locations of "small geographic
    exclusion zones" as well as excluded bands or frequencies--concessions
    made primarily at the insistence of the NTIA, which administers radio
    spectrum for federal government users--and "coordination areas" where BPL
    operators must "precoordinate" spectrum use. The rules also detail
    techniques to measure BPL emissions from system equipment and power lines.

The FCC said it expects "good faith" on both sides in the event of
    interference complaints. While the Commission said it expects BPL
    operators to take every interference complaint seriously and to diagnose
    the possible cause of interference quickly, it also suggested that
    complainants have responsibilities.

"At the same time, we expect the complainant to have first taken
    reasonable steps to confirm that interference, rather than a receiver
    system malfunction, is occurring and, to the extent practicable, to
    determine that the interference source is located outside the
    complainant's premises," the Commission said.

Shutting down a BPL system in response to a valid interference complaint
    "would be a last resort when all other efforts to satisfactorily reduce
    interference have failed," the FCC said.

League officials are studying the R&O and considering possible responses.
    The ARRL Executive Committee (EC) already has authorized filing a Petition
    for Reconsideration. The EC also authorized ARRL General Counsel Chris
    Imlay, W3KD, to "prepare to pursue other available remedies as to
    procedural and substantive defects" in the BPL proceeding.

For more information on BPL, visit the "Broadband Over Power Line (BPL)
    and Amateur Radio" page http://www.arrl.org on the ARRL Web site.

Material from The ARRL Letter may be republished or reproduced in whole or
    in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must be given to
    The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC acted based on the information provided.

If ham radio was 'marginalized'(ARRL's wording, not the FCC's, which actually praised ham radio in the proceedings), it either is an accurate description of the situation in the greater sense, or an indication of a non-compelling position taken by those who commented with respect to ham radio , and that includes the ARRL; these are my opinions based upon my reads of the R&O. I urge you to read them to form your own opinion.

In any case, it is time to work with the Access BPL folks, as the FCC indeed recommends.

Chip N1IR

3. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

yawn

4. NY7Q

NY7Q Guest

Looks like this administration is bent on ruining not only the government of this great country, but radio as well. We need to vote these rascals out in three days...Powell, in his self assured wisdom, doesn't have a clue..(I am a straight ticket republican for 50 years, who has seen the light)

5. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

...wake me up when this is all over

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

Why do so many of us not see this?

This is not why the amateur radio service exists.

The bulk of our activity is a bonus, not a right.

Chip N1IR

7. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING? - We'll see what they think the next time there "lights go out & the boogieman is after them" - [​IMG]

8. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

zzzzzzzzz..... here too.

Chip already on the soapbox.  Here we go again.

The never ending speech on how wrong we all are.

Good God Chip, is there anything you think about other then BPL? You have made the same point about 50 times.

Really tiresome.  Think I'll spend my time in the courts if needed, and not listening to the same old thing over and over again.

And the court is where this is headed.  And in case anyone is confused, neither the FCC, GWB, or JFK has the final word on this one.  The courts will decide.

73,  W6NJ

9. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen.  Same here for 37 years.  Tuesday, I'm making a different choice.

Michael Powell is absolutely daft.  And, so are the staff who have relegated anything but federal,aircraft, and radio telescope frequencies to 'non-essential' licensed services.  There's even a threat of administrative action for (in the FCC's opinion) what are deemed 'frivolous interference complaints.'

I guess they must think that of the situation out in Arizona, since they've taken no action on the complaint.

Here's the link to the Order:

FCC's BPL Sellout

This was a complete sham.  And, issued before the NTIA's second phase study was completed.  I filed a petition seeking a second rulemaking notice to accommodate the additional information forthcoming from NTIA (so that it could be in the record and commented on).  And, as I expected, it was denied.

Valid data, after all wasn't that important unless your service was deemed important to protect from interference.  And, of course, they wouldn't want any more validation of the interference problem.

Inflated, erroneous flap by manufacturers and incorrect fabrications by utilities were the primary drivers for their decision anyway. Personally, I'm going to laugh my a** off when the idiotic utility that intends to use BPL as a SCADA medium finds itself with lots of incorrect operations and inability to status or control their systems since only a few watts of nearby RF has been shown to stop BPL operation. In fact, time for us to think about a plethora of 10Meter and 6Meter beacons.

Thank goodness that the order was issued before next Tuesday, though.

And, thanks, Fred, for posting this quickly.

Lee
    W6EM
    Bradenton, FL

10. AF5CD

AF5CD Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure wish we didnt blame BPL on politics -- its economic... no matter who is in the White House -- BPL -- will fail or succeed on its own financial merits...

I really cant see either Kerry or Nader or anyone giving a rat's ass about BPL issues so saying that this or that ADMINISTRATION can/will do something is immature --

no matter who we elect (or don't) if BPL can make money, and thus be able to be taxed, or just benefit one future voter -- its going to happen....

But anyway -- it will be funny to watch when a few 1000sss all start doing 10 meter becons or continous CW near the power lines and completely knock out all BPL through their neighborhood grid... theorectically one guy with a mobile 40 watt 10 meter trans parked under the BPL line could shut off an entire neighborhood...

LOL

11. w5hze

w5hze Ham Member QRZ Page

What can be said about this that hasn't already been said before?  Hmmm . . . well, did anyone notice that the FCC blessed the BPL equipment manufacturers & operators with a 1 1/2 year (18 month) span during which the existing (non-certified, non-compliant, without shutdown capability, with inadequate notching capability, etc.) equipment may continue to be manufactured, sold, and deployed- and that any existing systems as well as systems installed during that 1 1/2 year period are in effect "grandfathered" and thus are to a large degree exempt from many of the stipulations of the R&O?

A technology refresh by the manufacturers probably would have occured by that time anyhow.  So the FCC in effect indicated that there is no sense of urgency to protect the spectrum and licensed operations by deploying certified equipment during the initial buildout phase.  A lot of infrastructure can be made operational in 18 months!

Also- the FCC did nothing more than to "suggest" that BPL operators test systems deployed in the field to assure emission compliance.  Their only burden is to resolve interference cases via the stipulated guidelines, which place no real urgency on interference resolution where amateurs are involved (the process remains relatively unchanged from the existing process for power line interference,  which is so very very frustrating to us).  They have to maintain a database (not a big deal)- which can be  managed by a BPL proponent (what a wonderful idea- NOT).  

And then the FCC had the gall to indicate that they would punish any "frivolous" interference reports (which you know darn well was a threat aimed directly at amateurs).  Considering that the FCC seemingly feels that every interference report submitted by amateurs during the so-called "trials"- no matter how well documented- was basically "frivolous," then where does that leave us in the future?

So the R&O really places NO additional compliance burdens on the BPL operators in the short term, certainly nothing substantial (except for coordination/ avoidance related to certain "protected" frequencies and areas).  Any technological improvements necessary for compliance with the terms of the R&O can wait until the next generation of BPL equipment, sometime in 2006- and hereafter amateurs must walk a fine line when reporting BPL interference so that their cases are not labeled as "frivolous," thus resulting in reprisals from the FCC.

I am very disappointed with this complete sellout on the part of the FCC- no, that not right, I am absolutely livid.  A lot of people- from many services, not just amateurs- submitted detailed comments in an effort to identify issues and offer alternatives.  There was a great deal of solid substance within those comments, substance which was completely ignored (or belittled) by the FCC in the R&O.  One expects public servants, when presented with compelling evidence, to "do the right thing."  It would appear that the leader of the FCC regards himself not as a servant but instead a master . . . Mr. Powell should resign & assume his hard-earned position within the BPL industry.  He has broken faith and is no longer qualified to lead a major federal agency.

Ron WB5HZE

12. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know whats really sad about this?  BPL has been banned in most other countries that it was/is installed.  Leave it to this country because of politics/money (same thing), we will to have it in this country, needed or not.

Never mind it was a total, absolute, dismal failure in other countries.  Oh no, the USA can do better, we know better, we're smarter - no we're idiots. That's probably how we look to amateurs in other countries right now.

I believe BPL is also about poliitcal correctness.  How so?  The drive for equalality for the masses thats how so.  The poor disanfranchised who can't get broadband deserve to get like everyone else.  In very short order, I have grown to despise Powell, the wimps at NTIA and all the other players including the providers of BPL who know in their minds this stuff is no good, will never be good, if poor technology and was banned everywhere and yet they went for it.

It is so simple. Never mind all the technical studies, just this one simple fact we all know. Why is cable TV transmitted along a coaxial cable. Together now class, "because if it wasn't, it would interfere by signal radiation." Very good class. Now if one was to take an unshielded cable and place the same RF signal on it, what would happen. "It will radiate the signal instead of confining it to the cable". Again very good class, you are all so smart. Excuse me while I go puke.

K2WH

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had done a little research, you would have heard from the horse's a** his exact and specific cheerleading words for BPL (Dubyah's Farmington, NM speech and elsewhere).

Kerry has said nothing about BPL.  Only broadband in general, which I'll assume you understand is not just BPL.

Economics?  No, its not economic in rural areas.  Which was supposedly why Powell was cheerleading for it.  For areas that ostensibly had no other choice.

Purely big bucks in W's hip pocket is where the money is/was.  From the likes of honest, forthright, ethical folks like Ken Lay.  His biggest contributor in the last election.  Lay was CEO of Enron, of course.

Lee
    W6EM

"Following the lead of Dwight D. Eisenhower's son John, and Ronald Reagan, Jr. on election day."

14. AB8TM

AB8TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask yourself who has been selling Amateur Radio as a hobby.

The day that it is just a hobby will not happen, because that is the day it will end.

15. AA7IN

AA7IN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is exactly what I expected, the FCC has just put the amateur radio service on the same level as the CB service was 30+ years ago. Mr Powell may be a nice guy in person but he's a technical moron (no offense Mr. Powell). Mr. Powell, you are overstating BPLs importance by several orders of magnitude. The fact that the NTIA wanted exclusion zones and frequency's that are prohibited from BPL is proof that BPL will cause interference to thoes using the HF band.

"We similarly do not find that Amateur Radio frequencies warrant the special protection afforded frequencies reserved for international aeronautical and maritime safety operations," the Commission said. "While we recognize that amateurs may on occasion assist in providing emergency communications," the FCC added. It described typical amateur operations as "routine communications and hobby activities."

This implys that the amateur radio service almost never gets involved with emergency communications. This is a weak argument and has NO merit.

Now is the time for lawsuits, the FCC has ignored the technical facts and is dragging their feet in resolving current BPL interference (i.e. Cottonwood Arizona). BPL is NOT groundbreaking technology, it's a spin off of the PLC network that the power company uses for grid control and is as old as amateur radio itself.

I for one will not give up, BPL providers can expect me to keep a blow torch lit under their ass to get any BPL interference resolved immediately. If they turn a blind eye to me I won't screw around, I'll just sue. It will certainly be interesting to see how all this works out in the end, I would suspect that BPL providers are going to find the interference complaints impossible to manage.

Craig - N7UQA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.