ad: elecraft

Amateur Radio guide to Social Distancing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG7HUP

KG7HUP Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is, if you turn on your radio, you could be surprised what you hear. If you don't, you'll go on thinking every thing is quiet. Of course, propagation determines how well your signal gets out, but, I first looked at qrz.com and saw the chart showed 20m was closed, but I turned it on anyway and made one of my longest contacts ever. Try it you just may like it!

2. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you think it looks better wit the sine wave drawn from zero to zero? Seems more recognizable to the unwashed as a wave and not a hump.

Asking for a friend....

Ham radio social distance.png

E25KRG, N8RKD and K6CLS like this.
  3. WA1ZJL

WA1ZJL Ham Member QRZ Page

It really does look like social distancing is the only way we can beat this thing... With that in mind let's warm up those unused/underused repeaters and have the local contacts with those we used to have coffee etc with. Hey, we can get the technicians in on this too!! Then let's crank up the HF gear and make some contacts all over. Most of us have hundreds or even thousands of dollars tied up in radio gear. Maybe we shouldn't get out physically but that's a real good excuse to get on the air. And yes, I'm talking to myself as well!!! CU on the air!!

4. WS6KW

WS6KW Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.....refer to my original post and this will be answered.

5. VU2EVU

VU2EVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good picturesque presentation. Laughter the best medicine.. Humor is also a sort of vaccine only!!! Though all HAMs are now literally at home because of COVID-19 worldwide lock down, but practically most of the HAMs are now around the world on air sitting in front of their rigs...

6. G6NHU

G6NHU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did consider that but thought the hump added a sort of physical block between them as well, it enforces the idea of physical separation.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

DXers and CONTESTERS...

Try this one...

socialdistancing copy.jpg

E25KRG and IK0TIX like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BOTH are valid....

9. N5EAL

N5EAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved every reply. Made me actually laugh out loud, during this craziness! Thanks everyone....

K3DFD likes this.
  10. N5EAL

N5EAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved every reply. Made me laugh out loud during this craziness! Thanks everyone!!

W1YW likes this.
  11. WA6ILQ

WA6ILQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 1970s Motorola had a April Fools advertisement (would love to find a copy) showing the new "MoCan"... it was a pair of tin cans (Cambells soup size - with a Motorola batwing logo!) and about 10 feet of string... the advertising text claimed that it was short distance, private, and low radiation...

Mike WA6ILQ

AK5B and W1YW like this.
  12. N2WXN

N2WXN Ham Member QRZ Page

"HAAAAAAAAHA" Well done.

13. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When operated indoors, attics or other confined spaces near to house wiring, metal ducting, computers, wall warts, etc. Motorola's MoCan System was completely immune to RFI and power line noise. Any 3rd order intermod products (normally found in transmitters of all types at the time) were either non-existent or too low to be measured.

Too bad they made their debut on such an inauspicious date, they could have really caught on better otherwise.

14. STDYIN

STDYIN QRZ Member

the wife and I have been practicing that wavelength apart for years, :)

15. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, 2.075 meters in free space.

G6NHU likes this.