ad: UR5CDX-1

Allow upvotes and downvotes

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by K2WPM, May 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like Reddit.

2. WD6USA

WD6USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like something that should stay on Facebook and Twitter.

KP4SX likes this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah, I would downvote this.

ars technica has a huge problem with down votes in their moderation system. just like every other website with that feature.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

This is not the proper forum. This is the LOGBOOK SUGGESTIONS forum.

Moved to appropriate forum for consideration

Dave
    W7UUU

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A "like" means I like a post, I agree with all that it says, perhaps I was about to say the same thing but this guy beat me to it, or maybe I only wish I could have come up with that. Regardless, it rarely needs much explaining.

A downvote usually does benefit from some explanation. If you think someone's wrong, you should explain what point is incorrect, and why you believe it to be so.

People tend to take both upvotes and downvotes personally, whether or not they were meant that way. There's little harm in an unwarranted ego boost from an upvote taken personally, but a downvote taken personally can result in anger, "downvote wars", and similar foolishness.

If the downvoter can't just downvote, but instead has to put into words what the problem is, there are less likely to be hard feelings. Someone who was mistaken may actually appreciate being corrected and learn from it (that's happened to me, rarely). At least there's a better chance of making it clear when a particular idea, not a person, is being downvoted.

I see no need for change here.

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I also vote no. Granted that QRZ is sorta a like social media site, but not to the extent that we see on other sites. It's good enough that we have a "like button". @AG6QR said it better than I could.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't see it as a big deal either way. I appreciate those who take the time to respond with a "like" to my posts but I would never base my posts on the prospect of them receiving a like or dislike.

I'm much more concerned with not crossing the line with prohibited material which is often difficult to control. Truth has a way of wanting to be recognized.