ad: Radclub22-1

AES Going Out Of Business

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Their web site seems to have no indication of this and there seem to be no going out of business sale prices.

Perhaps CQ is mistaken?

3. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is seriously fishy. WHO did AES announce this information to? WHY is it not on their official website (http://www.aesham.com/)?

I read this as pure mis-information (read scam) myself.

But whatever.

j

KF7PCL and KF4ZKU like this.
  6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Nothing fishy at all. At least they've given us all notice, which is much more than some companies do.

Also, you can thank all of the people that you know who spent hours playing with new radios in AES (and HRO) stores, only to turn around and buy it online for $10 less and no sales tax.

Note that brick and mortar ham radio stores make their profits on accessories, not on radios. It's amazing how little profit they realize even on the most expensive radios. We're talking less than $100 here, on a rig selling for thousands. It's an extremely difficult business to operate profitably. Those who are able to stay in business have figured out to compete with the major internet retailers. Those who fail to adapt to the new model and markets don't stand a chance.

The rules of economics, supply and demand, are inviolate. They apply to all businesses.

QRZ congratulates AES for their 49 years of service to our hobby. Best wishes to them and their families.

-fred

WD9GCO, KD8DWO, AC8MA and 27 others like this.
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand WA8MEA's comment: "For years, I could USPS ship one of my antennas to Europe for under $10. ... Now it costs over $31 to USPS ship my least expensive antenna to Europe."

Sure shipping costs have gone up but are their margins that slim?

*edit* I see the post above mine now and that's a pretty big bite.

8. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL Members received full story via email : ARRL Letter for July 7, 2016.
    ----
    Amateur Electronic Supply Closing after 59 Years in Business
    [​IMG]
    Amateur Electronic Supply Closing after 59 Years in Business

Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) will close its doors at the end of July after 59 years in business. No reason has been given for the decision to close the business. AES has been a premier player among Amateur Radio equipment retailers for decades, as well as a major presence at Dayton Hamvention® and other events. Various media outlets were informed of the closing in a brief e-mail message on July 6, but word of the closing has not yet appeared on the retailer's website or Facebook page.

"It's with great sadness that I have to tell you that Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) will cease operations at the end of this month," AES National Sales Manager Tom Pachner, W9TJP, said in an e-mail. An employee at the Milwaukee headquarters store, who did not wish to be identified, confirmed that the message was legitimate. It's believed that the AES staff was notified before the July 4th holiday weekend. In addition to the Milwaukee store, AES operates outlets in Cleveland (Wickliffe), Las Vegas, and Orlando.

Fond-du-Lac, Wisconsin, native Terry Sterman, W9DIA (SK), founded AES in 1957 when he was just 18, after getting into the radio-TV business by working in his father's TV and electronics parts store. On January 1, 1998, ownership of AES shifted to Amateur Electronic Supply LLC, headed by Phil Majerus, a prominent Wisconsin businessman. Sterman died the following year at the age of 60, after a period of ill health.

For many years, the public face of AES was its Executive Vice President Ray Grenier, K9KHW, who oversaw marketing and advertising for the retailer from 1964 until his retirement in 2013. Grenier nearly singlehandedly produced the famous AES catalog, as well as magazine ads. For about 20 years, he also organized the well-received AES Superfest, a promotional effort begun in 1995 that grew into a hamfest. In April, the AES Superfest hosted the 2016 ARRL Wisconsin Section Convention.

Many radio amateurs reacted to the news on various online forums, expressing surprise, sadness, and dismay, and saying they would miss AES. A few reminisced about having bought their first radios from AES.
    ===
    ARRL Letter
    July 7, 2016

KB9RGD likes this.
  9. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. This is truly sad. I had a lot of friends who worked for AES, especially in the Milwaukee store, while we were all attending colleges somewhere in the mid-west. In high school and college I worked for a couple of similar, but smaller radio stores in Duluth,MN (like Northwest Radio) and in Superior, WI. I got drafted in 1969. By the time I returned in 1975, they were all gone. Between 1969 and 1975 I bought and traded lot of stuff through other stores, especially in the Baltimore/Washington area, Honolulu, San Francisco and Oakland, CA areas.

I've still got several favorite pieces here in the shack that came from AES Milwaukee.

:(

KB9RGD and NL7W like this.
  10. K3GD

K3GD Ham Member QRZ Page

No suprise, they haven't been competitive for years. Hro, giga, dx eng, and many others have had better prices. It started years ago in their catolog and they never recovered. Too bad, its been a good company.

AD0JA likes this.
  11. K9LPK

K9LPK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well folks, it has been a wonderful experience for me for over 50 years. Miles Cuday tested for free my first build Heathkit HF radio in 1968!
    I will miss Miles and his lovely bride Joyce at the AES Superfest shows, not to mention all those wonderful characters like Ray K9KHW, Teddy W9NHE,
    Gordo, Heill and all the other fine folks, Cheryl and I had the pleasure to fellowship with over the years. 50+ years, Terry would have been proud!

'73 AES and the fine crew, you will be missed.
    de K9LPK David and Ms. Cheryl K9BIK NE Illinois, City of Zion <><

NL7W likes this.
  12. KS9Q

KS9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a practice I truly despise. What do you want to bet that among such people are a few who blame the "greedy rich bastards" when their jobs are outsourced overseas because the work can be done cheaper? At any rate, the reason for the decision to close hasn't been announced but it could be as simple as the owners having decided that it's time to hang it up. I dunno. I can't remember a time when we didn't have a local radio store so this will take some getting used to, unless of course another radio store were to take over the operation. I promise I'd buy stuff.

Jim K. - KS9Q

NL7W, W4HM and KC9UDX like this.
  13. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My Dad took me there (Milwaukee) in 1961 when I got my novice ticket. We purchased a Globe Scout-680 & a National NC-173 (I still have it !!) plus RG-11 coax, wire & a DPDT knife switch (my antenna relay!).
    While stationed in Turkey (67-69) I purchased a National NC-200 xcvr. When I returned back home on leave in August 1969, I bought a brand new Swan Cygnet-260 from them.

I loved their full-page ads for used equipment in QST for many years.

It's really sad to see them go SK :(

Steve / W5BIB
    ex KN9IJQ (West Allis)

NL7W likes this.
  14. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a long time since I've bought anything from AES but I remember getting their catalog for a long time. My dad bought a lot of stuff from them. For a long time I use to buy local at the Portland HRO. Even small stuff like wire and connectors as well as more expensive stuff. A few years ago they changed and they lost my business. Several times I went into the store and I couldn't get the time of day because most of the salesmen were too busy chatting at the counter with people not buying anything. The one or two that were helping buyers were very busy. Once I even had credit card in hand ready to buy about $4k worth of stuff but I couldn't break up the rag chew session going on.

Even when I went to the counter 3 times waiting my turn with my Visa card showing they didn't bat an eye. I could have jumped up and down and made a scene and probably got someone to sell me the radio and other stuff I wanted to buy but I figured if they were not interested in selling, I wasn't interested in buying from them. So I left and bought the stuff over the internet (most from DX Engineering), got it in few days with free shipping and saved money. I haven't bought anything from HRO since, even through their internet sales.

Yes, it's too bad that AES is closing. Maybe they did run their stores better, maybe not. If any brick and mortar store hopes to compete and survive, it takes more than just being friendly to the non-buyers to succeed.

Mike

K3RW and N2NH like this.
  15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not surprised they stopped attending Dayton last year