A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9GVK

WA9GVK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Big Kudos to Jordan KN4CRD !!

The FT8 digital mode had single-handedly got me back involved with amateur radio. Being under HOA restrictions and operating only with attic antennas and 100W, getting a DXCC or WAS was unimaginable. It was also unimaginable to have QSOs late at night on 40M with the SSB (voice) stations all running a 1+KW and tall antenna farms with beams. Getting on FT8 and WSPR a year ago, I was literally shocked how many countries and states I could reach on low power with my crappy indoor antennas. I was amazed to be able receive stations whose tones I couldn't hear through the noise. About midway through my ultimately successful quest to achieve DXCC and WAS on FT8 I thought it would be a great idea to use the FT8 technology for limited ragchewing, even if it would drop S/N a few db in performance. In fact, I was quite dismayed to learn that the FT8 development team was focussing all their efforts on contesters (I'm not) rather than solve the ability to have some basic QSO ability. OLIVIA was suggested to me but frankly that mode, for many reasons, never has taken off.

I was so pleased when Steve Ford at the ARRL mentioned to me the existence of JS8Call. What a great idea!!

I just got on and made my first QSO even without fully reading the manual! (A no-no) My point is that the initial screen layout, even in the early development stations, looks to be user friendly.

I really appreciate all the hard work and innovation that Jordan, and his support team, have put into this project. When QST does a story on JS8Call in January 2019 I expect interest and usage will take off. I do believe this mode has relevance in emergencies especially with low power transmitters that may be on battery or solar power.

Again, Jordan you are to be commended for taking the bull by the horns and putting your smarts and energy into making this mode possible.

Bruce, WA9GVK

BTW, I'm running JS8Call on a Mac using Parallels and Windows 7 software without any problem.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    N2IPH and NN2X like this.