A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jordan,
    you did a good job. Here my considerations about the frequencies found in the docs (knowing that the frequencies are under development). My point of view is my location in Germany and i am not sure how the frequency situation is in America and Asia.
    1838 kHz: prefer your alternate frequency 1842 kHz because 1838 kHz is used for JT65
    3580 kHz: good
    7080 kHz: good
    10130 kHz: good, also used for T10 (former JT10) but low traffic
    14080 kHz: good, also used for T10 but there is low traffic
    18104 kHz: prefer your alternate frequency 18104,5 kHz, because 18104 kHz is used for JT9
    21080 kHz: good, also used for T10 but low traffic
    24920 kHz: good
    28080 kHz: good, also used for T10 but low traffic
    50300 kHz: good, also used for T10

Hermann, DL6BCX

ON3CQ and KN4CRD like this.
  2. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see that this could be useful since it allows for transfer of more information than just call signal and signal strength.

If it's rag chew or emergency communication transfer of messages or something else doesn't really matter.

DL6BCX likes this.
  3. N2IPH

N2IPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Apparently not long for some, my FT8CALL QSOs are recorded as such
    in my QRZ log but they don't show up at all when uploaded to LoTW.

4. N2IPH

can also manually sync (if you have internet access) using time.is
    https://time.is/

5. N2IPH

Who? Apparently 120 more than use RTTY.

PSK31 432
    PSK63 279
    JT65 234
    RTTY 159
    SIM31 92

6. N2IPH

I don't think this is hair-brained at all, it has potential. Would it be possible to have a waterfall display hosted on the web that each digital mode app could access and display a slice of bandwidth that graphically shows what modes are being used where? Yes, that would mean that portable or stations with no WWW access could not 'see' this information but it doesn't stop them from operating as is done now.

So looking at the WF and I see color coded bars or spikes across the band with colors representing the various modes (RTTY, CW, PSK31, FT8, etc.). The width of the bar would indicate how much spectrum is being currently occupied by any particular mode. Transparency of the bar could give a clue as to QSO density in the small slice of spectrum. SO 10% transparency indicates little activity at that frequency and 90% is a pile up or something like that. Or lots of FT8 activity at 14.074 say the spike grows higher and/or darker (and wider) to represent QSO density. Clicking on a bar would zoom in on that slice of bandwidth to reveal the frequencies being used maybe even a list of stations operating there in near real time, in the way the PSKReporter does.

I then use that information to manually spin the dial to where I want to operate.

7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just trying to understand how PSKReporter gets RTTY and CW data. Does it rely on people running software ( like WSJT-X for FT8 ) with "reporting" turned on, or does it rely on monitors that actually pick up RF and decode it? The reason I ask is because it seems to me that PSKReporter is not catching all QSOs.

When I run FT8 I do not have "reporting" turned on. So if I were working someone who also had it not turned on, would the contact be not captured in the data? Or would someone else decoding the contact report it? Either way, the data would be a relative indication of QSOs, not an actual number of QSOs. And if 100 people decode the same QSO, does it report one or 100 QSOs?

And for RTTY and CW, if it relied on "self-reporting" rather than a very broad monitoring-decoding-reporting network, then it would seriously under-estimate the number of those QSOs. I don't doubt the dominance of FT8. I just suspect that the RTTY and CW numbers are under-reported. I understand CWReporter and CWSkimmer are used, but I would be interested to know if they capture "all" CW contacts or just some.

Example. 1300-1400 UTC on Wednesdays there is a CW test. Maybe 100+ CW operators, some making 200+ contacts in the hour. That's a lot of CW QSOs. Does PSKReporter capture some, most, or all of them? And some of those 200+ per hour QSO guys when running don't send their call sign very often, so a dozen QSOs or more could be made with only one ID. And many don't send CQ, they sent CWT instead. I doubt many of those QSOs would be captured.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

got a MAJOR question here. It seems with FT8 you need an internet connection to keep the program and the computer clock in synz. Well I operate mobile and not always near any internet wifi internet connections. So I have to take my computer in my house every 2 days or drive until I find a connection.It's really a pain the ### with the present FT8. Is your program going to be that way or not? I removed ( or tried too ) the present FT8 program and have just the HAM RADIO DELUXE program. thank you so much de KA1BSZ VT USA

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a GPS USB dongle. No internet. Problem solved. I think it cost $7 shipped from you-know-where.

K3XR likes this.
  10. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to be able to sync to a 15-second interval. The actual time is irrelevant. See: http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...es-called-ft8call.623882/page-19#post-4767393

DL6BCX and KE0EYJ like this.