ad: RichCrouch-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Jordan.....appreciate all your efforts.

KN4CRD likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this example.

FT8CALL both requires and immerses the operators into the exchange. That differs from FT8 , which with extremely limited operator input, is essentially a machine to machine mode (M2M). No doubt on the FT8 utility: just look at its usage. But its information conveyal is extremely limited.

FT8CALL, like FT8, is a near optimum, high probability of intercept mode, that has substantial detectability at low signal to noise level, compared to 'legacy' modes. That means it ENABLES hams with low EIRP, and/or marginal propagation conditions. It is hard to overstate the importance of this.

If you are willing to have QSO's greater than a few minutes, then FT8CALL, IMO, is a preferred mode and a great addition to the tool box of ham radio.

Chip W1YW

KF7VUT, K8XG, KN4CRD and 2 others like this.
  3. N1AAE

N1AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

That's the last 15 minutes of FT8Call activity as reported by PSKReporter on 08/16/2018 at about 11AM EST (1400UTC)

WD4IGX and KN4CRD like this.
  4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

When I use FT-8, I have the VFO set to one frequency but the actually frequency I transmit on is essentially determined by WHERE in the waterfall I click. My rig shows about 4-5 Khz of spectrum. I can "see" anyone calling within that spectrum, even though the VFO is set on 1 frequency (14.080 say). If I want to call CQ, I look around within that spectrum for a clear frequency. So NO, not everyone is calling on the same frequency and saying they are is simply wrong. So EVEN IF everyone has their VFO set to 14.080, they may be calling anywhere from that frequency up 4 Khz or so. That's how FT-8 works.

Even during contests, RTTY folks spread out as well. Folks ALL don't call on 14.080. THAT's what the VFO is for! :)

...............Bob

K3XR likes this.
  5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RTTY is not dead in Asia and Europe... this is just from tonight:

upload_2018-8-17_0-23-19.png

NO2Y likes this.
  6. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty good density for RTTY. 8 signals in 1000Hz.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You will see FT8CALL grow exponentially in the next few weeks.

People want to be part of the action, beyond the machine:)

K8XG, KN4CRD and N1AAE like this.
  8. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

There is certainly plenty of activity, as witnessed by the PSKReporter record. However it seems that most of the activity is people transmitting beacons, calling CQ with no replies, and sending ALLCALL? to get a bunch of automated SNR reports. There are very few actual QSOs taking place!
    In the past 24 hours I have managed to complete 12 QSOs (all on 20m or 40m), but PSKReporter indicates that I have been heard by at least 60 different stations. A lot of guys seem to just leave their receivers running in FT8CALL mode, but never respond to CQ calls. If I send ALLCALL? I often get half a dozen automated reports back, but none of the stations are available to have a QSO.

Walt (G3NYY)

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps there should be some new 2 letter abbreviation in the cq message, to indicate the operator is present and its not like a refrigerator running by itself:)

I suggest something like: W1YW: cqcqcq OP K

OP: 'operator present'

KE0EYJ, K8XG and G3NYY like this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

LW: LiveWare

W1YW likes this.