ad: ProAudio-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I will try it out once the frequencies are fixed. I've used FT8 extensively. I'm not opposed to the new variation by any means. As long as it plays nice with the others I think it will add to the hobby

K8XG and KN4CRD like this.
  2. N1AAE

N1AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

LIVE RIGHT NOW: FT8Call YouTube livestream.

EDIT: Will only stream for a little while. Had to take a phone call so I won't be operating and using internet via a WISP so won't keep it going too long.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  3. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You will love this mode, especially the features, look at this video, it is more than you think, it is not only QSO with FT8, but a ton more features that make a qso contact much easier, and try this feature "ALLCALL?" That is neat

KD2NOM, AA5CT, N0VFJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good!

Because 7.080, 14.080, are RTTY FREQUENCIES!

Go somewhere else!

Jim W7RY

NO2Y and W7UUU like this.
  5. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the spirit!

NO2Y, W0FW, W0PV and 2 others like this.
  6. K7JNT

K7JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh brother, all of this complaining about frequencies reserved for RTTY, JT9, etc. is like a local car club with 30 members insisting a certain lane on the Interstate should not be used by thousands of daily commuters because it would interfere with their annual car cruise event. "Oh no! Our handful of operators cannot share this frequency with thousands of other operators because we may have an occasional weekend contest!" A pretty silly, and selfish argument in my opinion (which means nothing to anyone except me).

These plans were developed when digital was in it's infancy when there was plenty of open space. To insist on continuing this reserved paradigm for dead, dying, or unpopular modes now is a complete inefficient use of our limited bandwidth. I completely agree there should be order and agreements on frequencies for popularly used modes. But, once a mode is no longer in consistent use, it should lose it's "reserved" status, and the occasional contest which may temporarily raise interest in it does not justify this status. IMO, the operators of a seldom used mode should be the ones to work around the "daily commuters", not the other way around.

Jordan, I suggest you just press on with your choice of frequencies in fairness to the majority all and then call it done, maybe with a minor tweak here or there at your discretion. Ignore the complainers here. You're not going to please everyone, but frankly, you're the upcoming juggernaut with the numbers to call the shots. At least until FT8CALL itself gets replaced by the next innovative mode. :)

WD4IGX, W0PV, G3NYY and 4 others like this.
  7. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The end of your reply summarized the downfall of that mode of thinking....at least until the next guy comes along.

Ham radio doesn't do well with replacement theology. (Bad pun). Things don't get replaced here. Look at CW. CW is only used in third world countries now. Every modern military has replaced it with encrypted digital. It's still alive and well in ham radio.

In any given week, I use FT8, RTTY, Olivia and mainly PSK31. They still all exist. RTTY is as old as SSB if you count over wire. This isn't an industry. It's a hobby. Replacement doesn't have a place here

N0AN likes this.
  8. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just forwarded your video to the Ten-Ten International list serve - again - the ability to keyboard to keyboard and still use FT8 as the base mode is huge for us.

W1YW likes this.
  9. NN2X

I think the best analogy I can come with is the following:

Reserving a HOV lane for horses while the rest of us are using high speed cars on a super highway. (That might be a little harsh, sorry).

When we have the ability to decode at -24dB (FT8 and FT8CALL) below the noise floor while other modes like RTTY requires about + 6dB above the noise floor which as a delta of 30dB.

Let me land it, if a RTTY required 1000 watts to communicate to the desired remote Ham station, FT8CALL or FT8 would only require 1 Watt (Yes WPM is different), But still amazing isn't?

I passed the Extra class in 1980, 1st class phone and all 9 FCC commercial licenses, along with BSEE all that investment is mostly worthless today (Technology I had learned is no longer applicable). We have to evolve.

After all Ham operators are supposed to offer communications to our community during emergencies, knowing cutting edge technology like these digital modes may make the difference.

And about third world countries (I lived in or short stays in 69 countries the last 42 years). Years ago the argument was that most of these countries did not have the disposable income, which was true. However, most Hams even in third world countries have a computer, and the last time I looked FT8 and FT8 CALL are free.

W1YW likes this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. You seem almost angry that anyone would use anything other than FT-flavorofthemonth.

Wow. I am so sorry. I had a CW QSO last night. I apologize that I did not use a cutting-edge mode for my informal chat. I am so ashamed..

We don't "have to" do anything, other than follow the regulations. Who appointed you to be in charge of how everyone else engages in the hobby/service?

WD4IGX likes this.
  11. NN2X

Holy cow! Not at all angry...Just looking at te technical parameters that is all. I love SSB especially on 10 meters! I wish I could add tone to the text...I use all modes,..!

I was highlighting the technical comparisons ! Cheers, NN2X

12. VE3EFQ

VE3EFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have no problem paying a nominal fee for a program on android - say, a price akin to DroidPsk - not expensive, and it works just fine.

I would rather do this then have some ad hoc and patched together with fragile cables and crashing drivers system using raspberry pi that is being popularized by some - that's just a failure waiting to happen, not to mention a lot of extra crap to truck around.

Indeed, I'd double the price I'd pay if I could ping my location via gps when deep in the woods.

13. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely correct. This morning I heard HB9AVK testing on FT8CALL between the tones of an S9+ RTTY signal on 20m. He was perfectly readable, even though he was many dB weaker than the RTTY station.
    Walt (G3NYY)

LB9YH likes this.
  14. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no such thing as an RTTY frequency.
    The IARU (Region 1) bandplan states that 14070 through 14099 kHz is for "Narrow Band Modes with a bandwidth of up to 500 Hz". The individual permitted modes are not specified.

By the way, 14099 through 14101 kHz is reserved exclusively for beacons on a worldwide basis, so don't even think about putting FT8CALL there!

Walt (G3NYY)

WD4IGX likes this.
  15. NN2X

Perfect