A Bright Region Fizzles & A Dark Hole Looms: Solar Storm Forecast 04-05-2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually just turn the radio on...or look at the cluster. ..I dont really need to know why .

A bit to melodramatic for my taste but then i quit watching regular weather casts 10 years ago , to inconnvienent , information ends up being dated.

Hold on its another Coronal Hole ...I d better go wrap the water pipes ...they might burst, oh wait that was 4 days ago.

Professionally done , just not sure theres point.

I dont mind the solar mins its just different conditions.

VE7DXW likes this.
  2. BG9BKM

BG9BKM Ham Member QRZ Page

73 de bg9bkm

3. VK6DX

VK6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The only problem is, now at my age (82) I am wondering if I am going to be around by the next time conditions become good. There are occasionally some rare openings and a EU or JA station breaks through 599 down under in Perth, Western Australia but you have to be on at the right time and the right place to catch em! Only recently looking back at my old logs for the 80s & 90s working the USA on 40 and 20 CW racking up to 40 contacts per session. They where full contacts too, not the Hi Bi stuff ( QSL 5NN QRZ? )
    Celebrate my 50 years VK6DX (1968) in June 2018: ex G3UJS 1965.

WD4DXQ and W1YW like this.
  4. WS4Y

WS4Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good presentation of bad news
    73 Bill WS4Y

W1YW likes this.
  5. K7YB

K7YB Ham Member QRZ Page

NO, you can't work DX worldwide with 10 w and a dipole in these conditions, but I sure hear and work a lot of DX from Latitude 16.97. C31 with 100w and a Hex beam (only the 2nd one I've ever heard ) this past week. Bands aren't open 24 hours, but they are open. Her forecast and observations are most helpful. V31YB/K7YB

6. K4SOL

K4SOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done! Very detailed yet uncomplicated. Now if she can just conjure up some sunspots!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just remember this is a SOLAR STORM forecast---not a propagation forecast.

This is basically useless as a predictor of HF propagation(what little there is of it). If you understand that and enjoy it, well, knock yourself out:)

Just look at the propagation box on the home page of QRZed if you want to get a sense of what band are open. IF and WHEN they open.

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

N9TES likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Long live 80m. ;)

10. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QST FEB 2017 SOLAR MINIMUM.jpg
    ===== dreaded mauner minimum.jpg
    =========== keep smiling its just a hobby.jpg

NA1S likes this.