ad: CQMM-1

2018 State of the Hobby Survey Results

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8RMA, Apr 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N8RMA

N8RMA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just something to note - if you are interested in participating next year, please subscribe to my blog (via RSS or email). Each year I'll post here when the annual survey is released and if you are subscribed you will get notified.

Also - please feel free to reach out to me with comments and suggestions for next year. If there common themes being requested I'll be sure to add those. This year about 50% of the survey came from suggestions and I'll continue to build and evolve it.

Thank you all again.

2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great survey!

3. W4HM

Boy aren't you an "old fart" hater. :p:p:p:D:D:D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  4. W4HM

It was the ARRL that was/is selling the "service" aspect to so called "served agencies". The closest I've ever come to doing any "service" stuff is doing Skywarn with the NWS.

For me it will always just be a hobby but your mileage may vary. But I respect all aspects of hamateur radio whether I do it or have in the past or not.

5. W4HM

I use the ARRL paper log book and in parallel the N3FJP ACLog software which I use to upload all QSO's to LOTW and Club Log. It took me years to enter those 10's of 1000's of QSO's from paper to software but it was worth the time for me personally.

W1YW likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish that were true.

Unfortunately, the second you say 'hobby' AND ham radio, in these times of coveted need for spectrum, it turns on the conversation of :" If hams are just hobbyists, then they can do what they want with UNLICENSED spectrum. They don't need all that those bands."

There is nothing wrong with the enjoyment of ham radio as a 'hobby', as long as we all realize and accept that Part 97 is not defined as a radio hobby, and we have certain obligations for the licensed privileges. That might mean providing or assisting in emergency communications, when that need arises, for example. Remember: an appliance operator is an OPERATOR: someone skilled in the art of technical RF communications.

Don't sell yourself short.:) A lot of valuable 'meets the mission of Part 97' activity goes on under what many call 'just a hobby'.

Here's an example--- After Maria, an ad hoc net with KK4DCX (in PR) started up on 20m. A large coterie of (mostly) contest operators assisted passing over 4000 messages over two weeks. Those operators were self trained and disciplined through what some would call the 'hobby' aspect of contesting. They were anything but clueless. They got their chops through a 'hobby' and it paid off in helping people. A shining Part 97 moment!

Chip W1YW

KQ6XA, NU4R and W0PV like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, no.

The ARRL is just reminding us of who we are and providing a vehicle to assist us on that mission. IMO they overhyped the 'Force of 50', but the intent was valid.

Notice that Val NV9L was part of the 'Force'. Now she is Ham of the Year:)

Tom, your prop stuff is an excellent example of Part 97 in action. Do you think you would have become such a knowledgeable source of propagation info if you were just a 900 ISM unlicensed user of spectrum? FRS user? SWL? CBer?

:)

Chip W1YW

NU4R likes this.
  8. VE6SH

VE6SH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not often jump in on these discussions, but I will this time.

While it is a hobby for many the underlying premise for our existence is that amateur radio is a service. The International Radio Regulations which are binding on ITU member states (including the US) at Article 25 make it clear that we are a service like the maritime, aeronautical or fixed or other services.

http://search.itu.int/history/HistoryDigitalCollectionDocLibrary/1.43.48.en.101.pdf

The ITU Convention and Regulations are as binding on the amateur services just the same as any other services. Our entitlement to spectrum is only because amateur radio is considered a service. The IARU and many representatives from member-societies spend time at the ITU to protect the service and our spectrum.

We should be mindful to not lose that distinction.

Tim VE6SH

WU8Y, KF4ZKU, K4AGO and 2 others like this.
  9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is a hobby first, it has to be. We are never paid for our services, we do it for our own enjoyment. If we don't want to do something, we don't do it. They can't cancel your license for not participating in a public service event or disaster.

Ham radio is a service the same way that CB, FRS, and GMRS are "services". They are a governmental division of allocations, privileges, and rules. Nothing more to the "service" other than a way to separate us from all of the other radio "services".

W8CVE, W4QBQ, NL7W and 4 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Except this one (Part 97) extends privileges by examination and licensing.BIG differences.

And no, I wouldn't say I do ham radio for "enjoyment", so to state that without exception is a bit silly. I do enjoy it , but I do it for the challenge, the experience, the advancement, and the friendships. AND 'giving back'.

Chip W1YW

NU4R likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I get paid for my hobbies many times, such as photography for example. I do not seek, solicit, nor take payment for my Part 97 activities.

You are confusing 'hobbies ',as something done without issue of payment, with something else. Its as if you have broken experiences into 'job'(paid) and 'hobby'(unpaid).

W4QBQ and NU4R like this.
  12. K7JEM

All of this is true. However, a license requirement or a test doesn't preclude the activity from being a hobby. The main definition of "hobby" is something you do on your own time, without getting paid, and because you want to do it (not a forced thing). That sounds like ham radio. Or hunting or fishing. Or woodworking or stamp collecting. Or boating or motorcycle riding. You can do it for enjoyment, a challenge, or for any other reason. A "personal interest" and not getting paid are requirements, and fit directly into the international definition of amateur operator:

amateur service:
    A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training,
    intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, by duly authorized
    persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

As far as "giving back", that is a good thing, and many of us do it it many different ways. But we do this as volunteers within the hobby. We are not required to do anything to retain our amateur radio license. Or, we can spend all of our time in the hobby "giving back". That choice is up to us.

W8CVE, W6DRO, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  13. K7JEM

If you are paid for doing something, it is more than a hobby, it becomes a job. Now, it may still be a hobby, but if you are being paid for doing it, it morphs into a job.

noun, plural hobbies.
    1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

My point is that we are doing it for enjoyment, or because we want to. I was a radio tech for 40+ years, but it was also my hobby. I was paid for being a radio tech. I was never paid for my purely ham radio activities. So my hobby and my occupation were basically the same thing.

G3SEA and K4AGO like this.
  14. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Dayton means nothing to most of us inside the US. We have neither the money or the time off from work to go. Also, I don't know of any young ham that can afford an Icom IC 7610. It is a real dream machine at $4000.00. I hope I live long emough to see what replaces it.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and G3SEA like this.
  15. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sooooo, it appears that when all is said and done, there really IS NOT a "majority" of Hams affected by an HOA! Let's put an end to this "PARITY" nonsense and quite crying FOUL when the CC&R's that you agreed to when you bought your home are no longer acceptable. And, for those of you in HOA communities, how about you stop hiding behind that shroud of "Emergency Preparedness" in an effort to BS lawmakers that you'll be ready and waiting when the "you know what hit's the you know where!" Hurricane Irma and Harvey were NOT shining moments for the participation of "ready and willing operators!" As a once ARES EC in Central Florida and in touch with the needs of our supporting organizations, I remember when collectively we had a leg to stand to stand on and be proud of the ARS!

AI7PM and K2NCC like this.