ad: Retevis-1

2018 State of the Hobby Survey Results

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8RMA, Apr 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rats. You pulled me in. I can't resist adding my 2 pesos. Ham Radio for some is a vocation. Or shall I say, supporting Ham Radio is a vocation. There are few hobbies without a commercial aspect. Should you enjoy playing the Kazoo, you still have to buy one somewhere. That said, the staff at the ARRL probably want to get paid. So do the people staffing MFJ. This is much more than a hobby. Its an industry that generates revenue, provides jobs and uses radio spectrum fought and won from the FCC for the primary purpose of saving lives and property, while fouling up a good CW QSO with a bad fist.

No, I think Ham Radio is far more than a hobby.

W1YW likes this.
  2. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a engineer, draftsman and designer, I think collecting mechanical pencils would be awesome.

WA7WJR likes this.
  3. KD2HRD

KD2HRD Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG that was me.

K2NCC likes this.
  4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

You are already Married. You picked a good hobby for a Married man over 40. LOL.

I am almost 60. Also a good hobby for an old portly balding lazy gentleman. ;)

KD2HRD likes this.
  5. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a survey of no-coders. Of course it has a lot of anti-old fart entries, many no-coders fantasize about innumerable hoards of old men hurling insults at them about not being "real hams". It's a condition of widespread paranoia, I tell ya.

WN1MB likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is my avocation.

Let the hate mail commence.