ad: Alphaant-1

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VE4DLA

VE4DLA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

because aviation HTs start at $300 but Chinese ham HTs start at $25

2. KW4ZW

KW4ZW Ham Member QRZ Page

And also because even from the same manufacturer, most of the AV radio connections are not compatible with the UHV/VHF ones which we need to interface with our phone/helmet systems. These are usually Bluetooth from Sena or similar devices. There are Bluetooth AV radios out there but they are not well known.

And also because the 2M band is FM so better, clearer speech quality.
    And also because the AV radios have no frequency where we can chitchat legally.

This is it exactly.
    I was trying to get some local hams to come out to a 100+ pilot fly-in that I was working on last year, but the club in the local area, rural Georgia, had recently set itself inactive, and the interest just wasn't there.
    I'm going to try harder next year but I'm sure it will be a challenge.

3. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Enforcement usually goes in spurts .... they'll get 3 or 4 of them at once and NAL 'em $10k or so apiece ..... and this will calm down. After it's been done 3 or 4 times, netting 3 or 4 violations each time, they'll start thinking twice. But the key is that first "spurt" There has to be some money in the practice before people begin doing their jobs. These "parachutists" or whatever use our bands because they *know* there is no accountability. Costs money for an air-band radio and even more money if they want a license to use it ..... but interfere with air traffic and there *would* be accountability. These people weigh the options and go with the easiest and least expensive cheat. With no enforcement, and by definition no accountability, 2 meter baofengs are the cheapest cheat.

4. K7JBL

K7JBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to tell that to the 101st Airborne Division at Ft. Campbell. ;-)

5. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Pilots used to use 122.9 to chat with each other. I never heard such rise to the level of a long "QSO", tho.:p

6. AJ4EM

AJ4EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would imagine there's more interest in prosecuting violators on the aviation band

7. W8GRI

W8GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

In my locality there are bear hunters that use 2 meters apparently with no license, along with rough country four wheel drive enthusiasts. Once I even followed a small convoy of used cars coming from an auction, using 2 meters simplex of 146.52. Several of these operators are bold enough to make use of the repeater! Some of this was before the Baofengs or FRS/GMRS rigs were to be had!
    Almost impossible to find or catch them but at least it seems to come and go. I think in our area the lack of complete cell phone coverage makes 2 meters attractive.

73 Rod W8GRI

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the shotgun idea. Like skeet shooting.

9. AC1GO

AC1GO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a Hang Glider and Paraglider pilot. I am also a licensed Extra. All the pilots I know and fly with either use business band or 2m simplex. Those of us on 2m are all licensed. I have seen no evidence of the type of activity the article describes. Granted the powered paraglider pilots are not common where I fly. A related thought is that it takes full attention to fly my wing and communications are very brief when in the air. There is definitely no such thing as rag chewing while climbing in a thermal.

10. AC1GO

I am a hang glider pilot and an Extra. The pilots I fly with are Tech or above. We use 2m HT because they are small, light and can also be used When not flying. I have never seen the attitude or activity described in the article.

KW4ZW likes this.
  11. AC1GO

That is a paraglider not a parasail. A parasail is a tourist trap ride with a modified parachute towed by a boat. Parasailing requires no training or skill. Paragliding is an aviation sport that requires lots of practice. Your photo is of someone who is practicing handling the glider on flat ground. There is no way he was trying to launch. There does not appear to be much understanding of paragliding or hang gliding in this forum. As a pilot and a Ham, I think that is too bad because my aviation sports and Ham radio work well togther.

12. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

The information in the article was never directed at LICENSED Amateur Radio Operators who also participate in paragliding.

It is presumed LICENSED Amateur Radio Operators are appreciative and respectful of the FCC Regulations and conduct their communications in compliance with same.

The article IS directed at paragliding pilots who are not LICENSED Amateur Radio Operators yet utilize the amateur radio frequencies in violation of FCC regulations. Those categorized pilots appear to not have much
    understanding or concern for the FCC regulations and that is a shame.

Amateur Radio and Paragliding can work together in harmony for the betterment of both activities. Those pilots who choose to utilize amateur radio without benefit of an FCC license are a detriment to both communities in the same manner as licensed amateur radio operators who have expressed their ambivalence toward paragliding pilots utilizing the amateur frequencies. (This is not directed at you AC1GO)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  13. AC1GO

I reiterate (but will refrain from capitals and bold face type) I have flown hang gliders and paraglider a lot in many states and have never once observed what is described in the article.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the clarification:)

15. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

AC1GO : Thank you for supporting both communities according to the regulations. 73

AC1GO likes this.