ad: ProAudio-1

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KW4ZW

KW4ZW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, a choke instead of a balun; using very thin coax and considering not more than 5W, would the dimensions of the choke need to be so large? I'm thinking a ferrite choke of some kind.

Not worried about bandwidth or even multiple bands at this point; if it's resonant/decently matched on one frequency I'd be ok, three or four 50kHz channels either side would be dandy. (Contemplating this initially for the GMRS frequencies, later for 70cm and 2m.)

After doing some more digging, I found exactly what I want to do but for the wrong frequency and power:
    "End Feed A Center Fed Vertical Dipole"
    So I know it's been thought of before, just not for this application and frequency.

Guess I'll also need to be studying this one though it seems more specifically for HF:
    http://k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

http://k9yc.com/VerticalDipole.pdf
    upload_2018-11-17_23-29-10.png

KQ6XA likes this.
  2. KW4ZW

KW4ZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly spread the word to other pilots to not use the ham bands; even just before my very first flight I had a discussion with my instructor regarding which frequency he was using (it wasn't in the ham bands, btw). But I think the reality is that most PPG pilots just use their cell phones, and if they use a radio, they tend to check with others about which frequencies to use, and that usually exposes the ham operator in the group ...

I've only been doing this about two years now and I'm slowly realizing how much fun combining the two activities can be.

KQ6XA likes this.
  3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

In keeping with the spirit of the season...
    You'll shoot your eye out :(

Those flying machines :cool:

This idea could really get off the ground :rolleyes:

If favorable winds would brake :oops:

Paramotor paramours :eek: :confused:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  4. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TNX INFO! I gotta try that. WOW. AND I even have a license and a baofeng.

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What happens when the weed whacker engine catches on fire at say 2000 feet ? Is there a contingency for that?:eek:

I guess the flier goes up in a ball of fire that makes a good You Tube video?! :(

KQ6XA likes this.
  6. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

Motorola Talkabout T460 T480

Motorola Talkabout T460 & T480
    - Excellent quality
    - Excellent dependability
    - Serviceability worldwide
    - Low cost $$$

Talkabout T460
    - Both FRS & GMRS frequencies
    - NOAA weather advisories
    - Handsfree transmission
    - Alert tone
    - Up to 35 mile range

Talkabout T480
    - Both FRS & GMRS frequencies
    - NOAA weather advisories
    - FM radio built-in (listen favorite music)
    - Handsfree transmission
    - Alert tone
    - Up to 35 mile range

Available: Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Amazon, eBay, etc.

7. WB4IME

Deploy an emergency chute.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, Ok....

[​IMG]

N4AAB, W1YW and KQ6XA like this.
  9. WB4IME

Ooops ?

:eek:

10. WB4IME

Bonnie KQ6XA

Do you know of any antenna connector that will work with the Motrola T-460 and the T-480 ? Just the connector then also perhaps
    an length of small diameter coax with a female connector on the other end ?

KQ6XA likes this.
  11. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no connector on those FRS units :(

12. N9TGW

N9TGW Ham Member QRZ Page

The same agency that requires us to have a license to use the 2 meter band also forbids removable antennas on FRS radios. RadioShack used to have a Mobile FRS rig. all it really was, is an FRS radio in the base of a magmount antenna with a remote control panel. needless to say it didnt sell very well

KQ6XA likes this.
  13. WB3CYB

WB3CYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is the bear hunters here in VA. With the influx of cheep radios from China, they will go for those simply because they have more transmit power. Likely the same group that build amplifiers and ignore the regulations for CB.

14. WB4IME

"There is no connector on those FRS units :("

Hmmm .....

15. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC should find out where certain clubs will be flying and listen to see if they are using 2m freq's and then when they land have all the correct procedure's taken care of and hand them a NAL or in the worst case scenario haul them off to jail. You might be saying they can't do that, well if you plan everything ahead of time and have all the legal things taken care of....Yes you can!...Scare the sh*t out of them. The FCC, ARRL the FAA etc etc needs to get involved.