ad: M2Ant-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

The "NATO" alphabet is absolutely horrible for my call suffix. (two long "o" sounds)
    America Denmark five Ham Radio always works

WD4IGX and K3XR like this.
  2. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have it on agenda, which I keep OBSESSING over. ;}

Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

N4MXZ and KG7AV like this.
  3. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hard to beat "Ham Radio" with anything! Great call.
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

N4MXZ likes this.
  4. VE2MMH

VE2MMH Guest

)
    Clearly sir, (as seen by your QRZ biography page) you are a 2+2=5, cause YOU think so, therefore it is, kinda person.
    sorry for wasting your time.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Stop by often.

6. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting on the 75m use of "for ID"... It eventually migrated to 2m repeaters about twenty years ago. At least, here in the SFO Bay Area. 73, Eric

7. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that I first heard it on 2m in the late 1980s to early 1990s. I was very active on 75m at that time, and at least for me, I heard it on 2m first.

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

A good friend I elmered years ago, since SK, ended up with a call, after changing it on upgrading, ending in TUU. I immediately dubbed him, "Tangled Up Underwear" and no one locally EVER forgot his call. :D

He became a SK in 2010 and I see the call has been re-assigned now so I won't add the rest.

9. WD4IGX

Nothing daft about it.

There are very good reasons some of us prefer the older English/Imperial units of measurement for most things in day to day life but that's not important here. The example is absurd.

10. WD4IGX

Nice strawman, or attempt at a strawman anyway. It didn't work.

He never SAID there was no "global standard." He said there are no "proper phonetics as it relates to ham radio."

And he was right, and you're arguing against something he didn't even say, or imply for that matter.

K3XR likes this.
  11. WD4IGX

It's short for "telephony" and in our case "radio telephony" and dates from the days when the only telephony was AM and that was new.

So any voice mode is "phone" by definition.

12. WD4IGX

I get a bur in my bonnet over people at work who refer to time all year round as "standard" time. I make it a point to say "Eastern DAYLIGHT time" when we're on DST, just to make the point.

I also get annoyed at posts on social media accusing people of being "posers" and often point out that, "unless you are referring to someone who is literally posing, as for a portrait, the word is spelled 'poseur.'"

We all have our pet peeves.

13. WD4IGX

You're just being deliberately absurd. I have no idea what the heck Xochimilco is and have never seen or heard the word before. It is even a word?

14. WD4IGX

I hate VOX. I would have told him I didn't want to talk to him anyway and called CQ again.

15. WD4IGX

He never said that. Stop arguing with what no one said!