ad: chuckmartin

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a link to your entire post in my reply where anyone so inclined can read your "whole opinion"
    KK4YDR said:
    Perhaps you are new to the Zed and not familiar with the quote function.

2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Its ok. I may have misunderstood the nature of your reply. Before you replied with this one, I edited my first reply to you as to indicate I l dont understand your context. Go back and read it.

Im not new. But this site is incredibly packed with, well how shall I say, people that need to leave the shack and get a little sunshine from time to time.

K3XR likes this.
  3. AG4I

AG4I Ham Member QRZ Page

Just shows how long K8QS has been operating. Queen Sugar is from the old WWII (pre-1956) era military phonetics.

AI6IN, WD4IGX and N4MXZ like this.
  4. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha Ha Ha, that would be awesome!

N4MXZ likes this.
  5. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Commonly expected by whom? As noted by myself and others here, Contesters and DXers have been using a different standard for decades. Many other Hams use "vanity" phonetics. Without empirical data I cannot be sure, but I suspect that it would be well over 50% of Hams that either use other phonetics, have no expectation one way or the other, and/or couldn't care less. That does not rise to the level of "commonly".
    2. As to your "for ID" and Q codes on phone complaint, that is really on you. I am not sure why it negatively affects your emotional well being (grinds your gears). Perhaps you should get out in the sunshine more. :p Curiously the non standard phonetics were a part of Ham Radio the 1960s when I started, as was the use Q codes on phone, hi hi (see what I did there?) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    AI6IN, WD4IGX and K3XR like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

After two major skin cancer surgeries I don't recommend staying out in the sun too long. I get out with Jake when we can, he runs I walk which is why he is in better shape.

We should encourage all opinions. We should discourage opinions when presented as fracts.

N4MXZ likes this.
  7. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting point of view. Morse code is based on the frequency of occurence of characters in the English language. Based on your remark I could now justify to use my own version of Morse code, based on the frequency of occurence of characters in the Dutch language. Yeah! Oh and please let the French do the same. And the Germans. Let's all define our own Morse code suited to our own language.

8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

WRONG!
    Not in the US. But there is a world outside the US, you know. Other countries. Some of which require by law the use of the NATO/ITU phonetic alphabet.

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You should follow what is required in your country. I do.
    I'm not licensed by the "world outside the US".

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Other than the fact that this thread is about "phone", why not?

By your reasoning then, there should be only one language for phone, only one format for digital voice, only one format for each of FSK, PSK, MFSK, SSTV, DTV, .... etc

Morse code encodes the letters of the English language. It doesn’t encode words so just remap an alphabet. Don't worry though, there are already Morse codes for non Latin languages.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_for_non-Latin_alphabets
    :D

11. KK4YDR

You people sure can dish out your opinions but cant handle others.

12. KK4YDR

No we are absolutel 100% correct that in America there is no req standard to use phonetics. I dont know about the other 120 plus countries.

13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I like K8 Quicksand but it's one word. :D

14. KK4YDR

No one said anything about fact.

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this will help...:oops:

[​IMG]