ad: MLSons-1

11 year-old passes morse test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe it's true. I really wish that I had learned to speak Japanese before I was in my 50s....

2. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HEY OB, CONGRATS ON EARNING UR EXTRA THE REAL WAY @ 20wpm!!! If u ck the ham ticket stats u'll find there are a MORE EXTRAS THAN GENERALS AND WE ADVANCED CLASS GUYS, so with that said it really doesn't say a heck of a lot about the supposed/vaunted "NO CODE EXTRA"!!! HEY FCC (ARE U LISTENING)? MAKE THE TEST WORTH SOMETHING again, bring back the "20wpm code requirement" !!! That'll separate the MEN from the BOYS VERY QUICKLY!!! :)

3. KC5RET

KC5RET Ham Member QRZ Page

Only took what, 9 replies before some makes a remark that will have ham radio winning it's Darwin award.
    Now that my post stays on topic, congrats to the young person who passed their code test. You have great reason to be very proud of yourself. I remember when I passed mine at that age. My dad rewarded me with a slightly used Eico 720, a handful of crystals and a slightly more used receiver. Very well done Ryan!

4. N2JY

N2JY Ham Member QRZ Page

i agree with you and i am a product of the extra LITE generation.....you have to show proficiency in all walks of life to increase responsibilities. I understand we needed to increase activities to hold our frequencies, but a no code general would have done that, as the no code tech did in 1991, when they swore the computer would kill the hobby and the naysayers exclaimed we would be like the 11 meter hobby now. Both didn't happen. Here we are still.The no code tech was to increase members to our hobby and it accomplished that. The No code General would have allowed the increased HF activity that was sought for....In my humble opinion....a no code tech....no code general(limited to gen. phone) , and a full general(even 5 words c/w) and extra(13 or the 20 words cw) would have sure kept the license distinctions special and have you earn increased frequency access, as was always the reason to study and upgrade...not so you can shorten your call....but who am I....73

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    NN6EE likes this.
  5. KG5WHQ

KG5WHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Overachiever!

Seriously tho, I'm proud of you, Ryan!
    Maybe you can teach some of us old fogeys how to get to 15 WPM!

6. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

I applaud you for your cw work.. unfortunately, all the 50 mhz action is at 50.313. Yep, you guessed it -ft8. I have been trying to find cw on 6m and its sparse, very sparse. So finally, I give up on 6m - Again.

7. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

I taught my 40 yr old wife cw while we were out on our evening walks this past spring. Now we chat back and forth for fun. She is also a ham and we practice over the air on VHF..

Anyone can learn if they have an interest.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

VERY rare but glad to hear - and GREAT story :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W3ATT likes this.
  9. NN6EE

If the "EXTRA CLASS" was supposedly the "HARDESTMOST /COMPREHENSIVE TEST" then the FCC should have left the 20wpm requirement, plain & simple!!! I don't begrudge the TECHS nor GENERALS, for me THAT'S OK, but with MORE EXTRAS than ALL OTHER CLASSES NOW I find that that's a cop-out, as it's not about learning and retaining electronics knowledge, it's about the "ANSWER-POOL & MEMORIZATION!!! SAD!!!

10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you for real? This is verbatim internet trolling from 2o years ago. You even have the ALL CAPS thing going. Aren't you a bit tired of this by now?

11. NN6EE

GEE OB I'M SORRY U FEEL THAT WAY, BUT ALAS LIFE GOES ON & THERE'S "ALWAYS" A FEW WHO DESENT LIKE YOURSELF, HEY!!! THAT'S OK!!! Thank gawd not everyone thinks like you and that others have the RIGHT TO EXPOUND ON THEIR OWN OPINIONS WITHOUT OTHERS RAGGING ON WHOMEVER!!! HAVE A NICE DAY :) !!!

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Please maintain civility if you want to keep the thread open :)

Dave
    W7UUU

13. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations big boy! I hope you become a great Ham soon! At his age, I already caught some bits, but it took me a number of years to dominate it completely.
    Luckily, Ryan will have many resources he can count on in order to gain more experience as well as confidence regarding CW.

14. KB7MXT

KB7MXT Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to go Ryan! You can do this.!

15. W8NGA

W8NGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please let us know if this lad passes his theory exam. I am sure that he will make a great ham!