ad: M2Ant-1

11 year-old passes morse test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

11 year-old passes morse test

Morse code received a boost from the younger generation, on the 24th June 2020, when 11-year-old Ryan Morrison from Stillorgan, Co. Dublin took and passed his Morse code test.

Conducting the test were IRTS Chief Morse tester Dave Moore EI4BZ and Jerry Cahill EI6BT.
    Ryan was delighted to pass the Morse test after practicing for five months at twenty minutes per day.

Ryan is looking forward to sitting the radio theory test on 25th July in the Maldron Hotel, Tallaght and we wish him every success.

IRTS

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/july/11-year-old-passes-morse-test.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DG8AE, KG5WHQ, AF7EC and 30 others like this.
  2. VE7EA

VE7EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job Ryan. An inspiration to the older amateurs who are also trying. I suspect the key thing to learn from Ryan is the daily practice.

WM9K, N6XJP, KF4ZKU and 6 others like this.
  3. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My son Max at 8 yrs old 5 wpm/
    13 wpm . WA8MAX , that was
    26 yrs ago

Paul K8PG

W6SAE, N9AMI, N5AQM and 13 others like this.
  4. KM4WMC

KM4WMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations to you!!
    I cant even remember the words to a song

5. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

My daughter was 8 when she passed the 13 WPM also....that was 1983.

N6SPP, NI3V, KG7HVR and 10 others like this.
  6. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great work Ryan hope to make a contact with you someday.

7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How fast??

8. KM6DYO

KM6DYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job! So happy there are other young code enthusiasts like myself. It's really cool.

W5ZZ, KF4ZKU, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  9. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ALAS, HERE in the 13 COLONIES THERE IS "NO LONGER A CODE TEST!!! I say RE-INTRODUCE THE 20wpm REQUIREMENT FOR THE SO-CALLED EXTRA!!! :)

N6XJP, K3DW, K5VZD and 13 others like this.
  10. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to Ryan! I don't know the speed he copied, but I copied 5 WPM at age 13 to qualify for my Novice license. At Ryan's age, his brain is like a sponge, and I'm confident he'll become a fine Ham Op. BTW, when I was 11, I was too much into astronomy and other sciences......I didn't even know that Amateur Radio was a "thing"........

KM6DYO, N4GST, AC7DD and 1 other person like this.
  11. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

According to this IRTS site it is 5wpm.

The Morse Test is conducted at 5 words per minute.
    The test consists of the following:
    • Receiving 75 characters of plain language* with no more than four errors;
    • Sending, using a straight key, 75 characters of plain language* with no more than four uncorrected errors;
    • Receiving 5 groups of numbers, in five figure groups, with no more than three errors;
    • Sending, using a straight key, 5 groups of numbers, in five figure groups, with no more than three uncorrected errors.

AC7DD, W5VQ and K0UO like this.
  12. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool. Congratulations Ryan! Unfortunately, you will encounter many code haters along the way. Just tell them to QSY!

KU4GW/SK2023 likes this.
  13. N6RWC

N6RWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dang. I can CW my Call, CQ, 73, de, and some other words in 20WPM, but not the whole alphabet. Good Job!

14. HAWKE1099

HAWKE1099 QRZ Member

congrats young man:)

15. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I say that's not happening. So does the FCC.

The best you could get, by my estimation, is something like Canada where if you pass the Morse code test then it will be noted on your license. I'd support that since it opens up more nations to reciprocity agreements for newly licensed Amateurs. Even then it's not likely to be more than the minimum to meet these reciprocity agreements, such as having the tested speed be 5 WPM, perhaps 8, 10, or 15 WPM.

If you want the 20 WPM Morse code testing reinstated then I suggest writing up a proposal, then pass it around to get some people to review and critique it as well as get them to support it. After a few iterations of review and revision, as well as gathering some support on people willing to put their names on the proposal with you, then submit it to the FCC. Then be sure to let us all know how that goes.

If you want the 20 WPM as a requirement then I suspect it will not go far. If you propose a Morse code knowledge notation on the license for matters of reciprocity then I will gladly submit a comment to the FCC in support.

NS4WT, KC2SIZ and AC7DD like this.