ad: MyersEng-1

10 Ways the ICOM 7300 Has Impacted Ham Radio — 5 Years Out

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 29, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got my license at the end of 2018, I started shopping for a radio. I looked at used gear, but it seemed expensive and I couldn’t be sure I wasn’t buying a lemon. So I looked at new rigs near $1,000. I was looking at the Yaesu FT-12000Dx and FT-3000DX and the 7300. I also bought a SDRplay and that opened my eyes to the potential of SDR- 1kHz to 2 GHz continuously variable filters, four notch filters, etc. So, I bought the 7300 and dollar for dollar, I think it’s the best deal on HF rigs. Does that mean that there aren’t better rigs? Of course there are, but you pay for it, and like most things, there are diminishing returns.

I also have a Mountaintopper MTR-5B which is a basic but very neat QRP rig and I can do fine without a scope, although I tend to stay around the QRP segments. It’s like basic fishing - the scope is like having a fish finder. BTW, I can find the weak signals on the 7300 scope by putting preamp 1 or 2 on, and/or adjusting the REF level on the scope.

I purchased a Xiegu G90 in April and since then I’ve probably used it as much or more than the 7300. It’s an SDR with a scope and at $425, it gives the 7300 a run for the money on value/price.

I run across ops using all kinds of gear and everybody seems to be enjoying themselves. I would love to have an opportunity to use the Collins S Line, Drake, Johnson, Heathkit, Ten Tec, etc. but unless I start opening the wallet, it’s not going to happen. The only rig I am currently lusting for is a KX2/3. Otherwise, I like what I have.

M1WML likes this.
  2. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Feel free to not answer if this is going to cause a furor, but what exactly is 'entry level' about the 7300 as opposed to things like the FT-3000DX? Are we talking roofing filters / dynamic range? Or something else? I have heard this phrase repeatedly. It might be useful to have the answer for those stumbling across this thread.

M1WML and K0PV/SK2023 like this.
  3. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a scope before the 7300 appeared. Don't own one. Audio is crap. I still have to tune the guy in and copy him. I'm thinking of adding a skimmer to watch all the bands I'm not on and let me know who's there. I still tune around with the sw3 and fire up the pp 10s. Also listen with 2b and tx with adventurer. Options are nice. Only 52 years on the air.

73, -bob ah7i

M1WML likes this.
  4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, closest thing to an entry level HF rig these days would be something like an IC-718 or an Alinco Dx-SR8.

M1WML likes this.
  5. KN6CSB

KN6CSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading reviews for the 7300 is funny. it goes all the way from " it overloads and is garbage" to "It's almost as good as the icom 7610"

then there is the one only objective measurement of Sherwood rankings... but then people also say these are meaningless. :eek::eek:

M1WML likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Ever been on a car forum where Ford and Chevy come up in the same discussion? ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, M1WML and K8XG like this.
  7. W1PJE

So I could blow this thread up by then asking why people discount Rob Sherwood's careful measurements.. Blocking dynamic range for close-in signals seems like a valuable sorting metric to me from a RF perspective.

M1WML and K9GLS like this.
  8. KC2IEB

KC2IEB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's another benefit of the spectrum display - it makes it a lot clearer I have some room to go on cleaning up noise around my station. :)

M1WML likes this.
  9. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Bottom of FMBCB is still good for spotting openings. Channel 6 audio is active in some cities. 87.7 on your FM radio will catch it. Do you have a low FM band antenna aimed at Japan?

M1WML likes this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Weak front end.

Sounds great on 20m and higher. Not bad on 30m.

Poops its pants on 40m lower, if you face any city noise.

M1WML and K8XG like this.
  11. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you watch Sherwood's interview and he explains why the 7300 overloads. His assessment isn't exactly a glowing one.

M1WML likes this.
  12. W4BIX

W4BIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone can disagree, everyone has their own opinion, that's half the fun here. Like the old Ford/Chevy discussion. You have Ford haters and Chevy haters. It really doesn't matter who makes the better vehicle - the detractors against that brand will always find something to nitpick about and blow it up to a major flaw of that brand.

Just like here...those that swear by Icom those who swear at Icom. :)

M1WML likes this.
  13. W1PJE

Can you give a link to that interview? I wasn't having luck finding it and was interested to watch.

M1WML likes this.
  14. K5EMG

K5EMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just commenting how useful tool is the scope in the IC-7300, and somehow the thread ended being a debate about the how good/bad the IC-7300 is.... I'm signing off from this thread.

M1WML likes this.
  15. W1PJE

Also, see Rob's writing here:

https://www.dj0ip.de/sherwood-forest/sherwood-hf-xcvr-tests/icom-ic-7300/

"I have heard on the air and seen on the 7300 reflector that the 7300 isn’t good enough to be a contest radio. After this weekend I totally disagree. Its weak point, however, would be in Field Day* without external bandpass filters. More than one station on a band during FD will also be a problem. Of course a near-by neighbor could have the same issues. The front end isn’t good enough in worst-case scenarios.

73, Rob, NC0B"

M1WML likes this.