10 Ways the ICOM 7300 Has Impacted Ham Radio — 5 Years Out

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 29, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

A video review of the impact of the highly successful ICOM 7300 now 5 years after it was introduced at Tokyo Ham Fair 2015. The latest episode of "Ham Radio Perspectives."

M1WML, W1YW, K7TP and 13 others like this.
  2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me guess, not having watched your analysis, yet...
    #1 When a commercial antenna is hooked to the rig, all shacks now look like they were cloned.
    #2 A whole generation of radio-amateurs now forget that hobby's magic was not necessarily about watching a screen.

N3UIQ, M1WML, VK6APZ and 6 others like this.
  3. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good guesses. Sounds like you also might want to view our video on the history of HF rig design, including classic vs. cloned visual design. Here's the link on that one, in which we do say some things about ICOM design and the 7300.

M1WML, AJ6KZ and PU2OZT like this.
  4. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just getting into AM and learning vintage rigs and their history and it is kind of a shame how similar everything is becoming...though the leap in technology is pretty incredible.

PE1KWE and M1WML like this.
  5. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me the IC-7300 greatest thing is the visual scope. I can see how much activity is on the bands in just one look, and it showed me that really there’s s a lot of activity on the bands and HF is far from being dead.

M1WML, N1VAU, EA2ELS and 2 others like this.
  6. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, imagine yourself as a visual designer. How do you make a rig and a brand distinct without merely tweaking existing designs? We users want rigs to look like rigs, too, not so much as appliances or works of art. Yet some of the classic designers like Hallicrafters and Collins did create some amazingly distinctly and classic looks. Q

PE1KWE, WA4NJY, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  7. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

The scope is nice, but of course no longer a very distinctive feature. And the scope is small on the 7300. I use the N1MM logging software to project the scope on a larger screen. Maybe that's my age/vision. Q

M1WML, WA0RDP and W2RAF like this.
  8. K5EMG

You can limit the band edges and it’s more useful, a brief touch on the area in the scope with activity jumps directly into that frequency. For me as a visual person it’s very useful. I don’t have to “waste” time going up and down through the band looking for activity.

M1WML, N1HJH, ZL1API and 2 others like this.
  9. GI0AQD

GI0AQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats half the fun of ham radio looking for stations on the bands, but whatever works for you go for it, if you looking at a scope you may miss that little q r p station way down in the mud, 73s.

M1WML, M0VMT, VK6APZ and 7 others like this.
  10. K5EMG

I do manually scan bands regularly looking for stations and other “signals”, but a scope is another tool and a good one for seeing band openings.

Amateur radio is a little science, lots of experience, good tools and not always pay attention to the band opening reports. My best contacts were made in the most crazy conditions.

K1XJ, M1WML, KA0HCP and 5 others like this.