ad: Mountaingoat-1

‘Birds of Prey’: New safety video for tower workers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A tower is not neccessary to become a target either.

Plenty of Red Hawks in my little city neighborhood. Here is one sitting on a Cushcraft R8 vertical matchbox in my backyard. It was watching and pounced upon a black racer snake down at one guy anchor.

Never been hit yet thankfully, but they have made precarious low passes at me and my nervous cat. Amazingly, aggressive fast and manuverable bluejays and mockingbirds will sometimes gang up to harass and try driving them away during nesting season.

[​IMG]

Being on a large pond and canal that empties into the nearby salt water bay there are also plenty of bigger Ospreys, but as the expert said, they are relatively tolerant of humans. Often I spot one on top of the 35 ft high tubing vertical, sometimes munching on a fish, making a mess, dropping scraps & bones on the base :(.

[​IMG]

However, as @WN1MB and @KD4MOJ point out, stinging insects are also a big nemisis mostly on or near the ground here in FL.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    W1YW likes this.
  2. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

La nature comme nous, ne veut pas partager !

3. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Climb with a shotgun!

K3JLS likes this.
  4. 3DA0AQ

3DA0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had fire ants in a balun box and tiny ants in a rotor, use moth-balls in those "closed" spaces!

K0UO likes this.
  5. N5YPJ

N5YPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

And wasps.

6. PY1KZ

PY1KZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Video!!!
    Miguel
    PY1KZ

7. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

What about the Killer Hornets?????

K0UO likes this.
  8. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

when I was working for Corus Entertainment in London, Ont. I was warned every time I had to go and check the dish's and equipment on the roof.
    There were Peregrine falcons on the roof of the TD bank tower. Also a bunch of avid bird people watching from the ground.
    There were parts of birds and other unknown small animal pieces all over the roof top.
    At the AM radio site there were always wasps & hornets in and around the transmitter shacks by the tower antennas.
    Another hazard was the gopher holes, you're walking along inspecting guys, tower, attacking wasps etc and theres a gopher hole hidden in long grass. :D:D

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My team had to go through "Killer Bee training" to work a sites in AZ and CA a few years ago For real

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

heh - that reminds me of the "Killer Bs" mentioned in Howard Stern's interview of Megan Kelly back in 2015.

11. K0RS

K0RS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what you get for "marrying up."

WD4ELG likes this.
  12. W0DGH

W0DGH Ham Member QRZ Page

Easiest way to keep ants and other bugs out of electrical enclosures is to put a dog or cat flea collar in the box. I worked in the electrical industry and a lot of insects are attracted to the static electricity in some enclosures.

KI7HSB, WN1MB and KA0HCP like this.
  13. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Superb idea! Thanks. I've got a weather station that attracts ants every year. They chew on wire insulation and short out the circuits with debris/soil they carry up.

14. N2IK

N2IK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Post! Thank you. Many informative comments as well. 73 de N2IK

15. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have worked on many ham towers installing various antennas the red tail hawks will tear hell out of you sometimes.
    But of course we are considered the invader. Have a good friend who lives near a wooded tract of land and he frequently
    gets a visitor to come and sit on his boom of his yagi,but he's never been attacked. As a kid I did have a wild crow that we
    tamed as it tumbled from it's nest and my Dad having grown up on a farm knew how to raise it.Well it grew up and flourished,
    we even let him fly freely during the day and he always returned to his cage (which Dad built).But during the day he would swoop
    down on certain people scaring them but never hurting anyone.He was extremely intelligent learning and doing various tricks.
    He knew our family and treated us as though he was part of it--WHICH HE WAS! Greg Mitchell,W2MYA,West Caldwell,N.J.

KD8DWO, KN4VGP, G1UFM and 2 others like this.